Noob questions

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Wil wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:24 pm Ok, so I’m new to Porsche and coming from long term institutionalised Mercedes ownership. I don’t know how anything works and I want to know.
First thing that struck me is the ambient lighting in the doors. There’s a bank of leds in there, but they’re not coming on. I can’t find anything in any menus to switch them on or off. What am I missing?
There’ll be more of this noob stuff as I come across it btw.
Thanks in advance.

Also, what does everyone think of the brakes? They felt pretty average to me on my drive home, but I’ve only done 20 miles, so they will probably improve with a bit of bedding in. I hope so anyway.

Ta.
Bedding in!!!! Seriously!??!?!? The stealers are gonna love you when you go in for a service!!!

pmg

Post by pmg »

Do not Porsche et the brake feel so it has a wide range with the full force being at the end of the travel. Certainly, every time I have needed them they have been impressive including the 0 to 60 and 60 to 0 run at PEC
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I take it you have not driven a Macan around the PEC?

If you had the Instructor would have taken you to the acceleration and braking straights.

There you would have been told how to initiate launch control and then off you go, at a certain point you apply the brakes fully and once your eyeballs are back in your head you move off againto the other straight.

There you do the same but this time once braking has commenced the control of any Porsche is so good you can use one finger to fully control the movement of the car as if commencing braking on the outside lane of a Mway and stopping on the hard shoulder.

Whatever the Porsche 0-60 mph time is the 60-0 time is no more than 1/2 the 0-60 time.

And, that is with standard brakes, ceramics will stop the car before it even starts. :D
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:57 am
Rarecolour wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:41 am I gave the brakes a couple of good 70mph to 20mph hard stops within the first 2 miles of driving mine, I've never thought they were poor.
Why? That's the opposite of Porsche's, and any other manufacturer's, recommendations for running a car in. Mating surfaces of every moving component in the car need slow and progressive increments in load in order to achieve optimal condition and performance, and that includes the pads and discs. Conversely, severe loading from the outset can cause permanent damage. The tyres also need running in as new ones have a smooth and greasy surface from the moulding process so hard braking on new tyres risks losing grip and control of the car.

I wasn't running the "car" in, I was doing the brakes, as I have with any new set of brakes I've ever replaced. If you do hard stops and sit with your foot on the brake that's when you'll have issues from friction material left on the discs, if you keep moving it'll be ok.
I ran the CAR is as per Porsches recommendation.
And tyre wise, i've always taken it steady for about the first 50 miles cornering that's all.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:37 pm I take it you have not driven a Macan around the PEC?

If you had the Instructor would have taken you to the acceleration and braking straights.

There you would have been told how to initiate launch control and then off you go, at a certain point you apply the brakes fully and once your eyeballs are back in your head you move off againto the other straight.

There you do the same but this time once braking has commenced the control of any Porsche is so good you can use one finger to fully control the movement of the car as if commencing braking on the outside lane of a Mway and stopping on the hard shoulder.

Whatever the Porsche 0-60 mph time is the 60-0 time is no more than 1/2 the 0-60 time.

And, that is with standard brakes, ceramics will stop the car before it even starts. :D
Ceramics don’t stop any quicker….
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Rarecolour wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:26 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:57 am
Rarecolour wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:41 am I gave the brakes a couple of good 70mph to 20mph hard stops within the first 2 miles of driving mine, I've never thought they were poor.
Why? That's the opposite of Porsche's, and any other manufacturer's, recommendations for running a car in. Mating surfaces of every moving component in the car need slow and progressive increments in load in order to achieve optimal condition and performance, and that includes the pads and discs. Conversely, severe loading from the outset can cause permanent damage. The tyres also need running in as new ones have a smooth and greasy surface from the moulding process so hard braking on new tyres risks losing grip and control of the car.

I wasn't running the "car" in, I was doing the brakes, as I have with any new set of brakes I've ever replaced. If you do hard stops and sit with your foot on the brake that's when you'll have issues from friction material left on the discs, if you keep moving it'll be ok.
I ran the CAR is as per Porsches recommendation.
And tyre wise, i've always taken it steady for about the first 50 miles cornering that's all.
This brake bedding in is actually correct.

Always done it

Just don’t come to a fall stop as you say

Never ever had a problems with brakes
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Tracky wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:15 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:37 pm I take it you have not driven a Macan around the PEC?

Actual tests of ceramics on multiple manufacturers models seem to result in ceramics stopping 10 foot shorter from 62 > 0 mph than standard.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:21 pm

Actual tests of ceramics on multiple manufacturers models seem to result in ceramics stopping 10 foot shorter from 62 > 0 mph than standard.
Says the sales blurb……
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

The distance may be shorter but is it quicker?
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:43 pm

The distance may be shorter but is it quicker?
The braking distance is what matters for safety.

Also time is a function of speed and distance in this instance so yes it should be quicker if braking from the same speed in a shorter distance.