New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

On-Track wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:30 pm Isn't it a legal requirement to have the same make of tyre on the same axle? Looking on line, some sites (eg F1 Autocentres) say it is but I can't find any official answer.
Its a requirement to have the same size tyre on the same axle, but it does not need to be the same make of tyre.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On-Track wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:30 pm Isn't it a legal requirement to have the same make of tyre on the same axle? Looking on line, some sites (eg F1 Autocentres) say it is but I can't find any official answer.
Strictly speaking it is not illegal to have a different make on the same axle of a car, BUT it is definitely not recommended, especially on a high performance vehicle.

TYRESAFE says:

"It’s better to fit all four tyres at the same time but if that is not possible then fitting two tyres at a time, and as a pair to get the best handling and grip on each axle, is the next best option. As a last resort, then a single tyre can be replaced. In all circumstances, seek the advice of an expert tyre retailer before replacing any tyres."

https://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-faqs/
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

MacanSman wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:00 pm
Its a requirement to have the same size tyre on the same axle, but it does not need to be the same make of tyre.
And the same type…….
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Arguable it does, since different makes of tyres are very unlikely to have the same type of structure.

The Regs also make provision for spare wheels of a different type being fitted and limit the speed that can be attained to 50mph.

The regs state:-
26.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (5) pneumatic tyres of different types of structure shall not be fitted to the same axle of a wheeled vehicle
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
pmg

Post by pmg »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:39 pm Arguable it does, since different makes of tyres are very unlikely to have the same type of structure.

The Regs also make provision for spare wheels of a different type being fitted and limit the speed that can be attained to 50mph.

26.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (5) pneumatic tyres of different types of structure shall not be fitted to the same axle of a wheeled vehicle
I think the wording of different types of structure here may be meant to cover radial v say cross-ply which are types of tyre structure. So on that basis argue fine to fit radial tyres by different manufactures to the same axle
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

pmg wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:54 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:39 pm Arguable it does, since different makes of tyres are very unlikely to have the same type of structure.

I think the wording of different types of structure here may be meant to cover radial v say cross-ply which are types of tyre structure. So on that basis argue fine to fit radial tyres by different manufactures to the same axle
I agree on the wording. Although the father-in-law has not long purchased a used Evoque from Jaguar which has odd tyres on (tyre brand) , I told him to take it back and tell them to fit the same tyres on all round, he's not fussed though :roll:
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

Thanks once again for all the helpful information, however i am no further forward in resolving this issue.

Having lived with the Macan since Friday i now have my head round the various functions of the controls and PCM unit and It appears that there is no Nav module installed despite the dealers advert clearly indicating that there was. Also as part of the the handbook package there was a Nav Disc with Activation Key (unused & sealed) however after inserting the disc and being read by the PCM it does nothing, doesn’t load, or even show any files.
Pressing the Nav or Map buttons gives an error message “Function not available” or somethng like that, so no joy there. And, there’s also a Sim Card slot, mut no SD Card slots. How and where can i get a Sim Card and whatr will that do for me? Will it open up other functions on the PCM?

I haven’t had a chance to get to my local Porsche dealership, but plan to do that first thing tomorrow morning and pending the outcome of what they tell me i will then decide what to do with the Macan. At the moment i’m 50/50 whether to send it back and get a refund and look elsewhere for another Macan, but there’s not many about with the specs and budget i’m looking at. Or what will it cost me (or the dealer) to fix the Nav issue.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

If it does not have nav then it’s an easy retrofit at Porsche, I would get the selling dealer to pay for the retro fit.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

Any idea of the cost?
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

No, but it’s on the Porsche Tequipment website
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.