Tow Bar 4 bike rack

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Js23411

Post by Js23411 »

Hi All,

On the Porsche website, for the Macan it says: "The optional towbar system is designed for high towing capacities and is equipped with a 13-pin electrical socket. In addition, a rear-mounted bike carrier can be fitted for up to two bikes".

The Macan S has a max nose weight of 96kg which I think should be sufficient to support a rack with 4 bikes which would weigh 80kg when carrying its maximum load. That said, it seems that calculating the nose weight of a bike rack is more complicated that just weighing the loaded rack so I wonder if the reason they specify up to two is related to this limit?

I asked my dealership and she said that it's because the bike rack Porsche offers only accommodates 2 bikes but I wanted to double check this with this forum.

Thanks

Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

The latest Porsche tow ball bike rack should be a Porsche branded Thule model, which usually have capacity for an add on single bike carrier.

If you go to the Thule website you should be able to find the exact one rebranded Porsche. You can the find out the max capacity and whether an add on is available.

The previous Porsche branded tow bar bike carrier was made by a different German manu. and a single bike add on carrier was available to purchase.

Have not heard of a 4 bike carrier for the Macan.

hth
Js23411

Post by Js23411 »

Thanks Connoisseur - I will take a look
bompey

Post by bompey »

Just been searching for bike racks and wanted to ask if anyone knows the Thule equivalent model to the Porsche one. I have a new Macan coming with tow bar and wanted to get the bike rack now.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
JasGill

Post by JasGill »

Hi
I have the Thule 923 which works just fine; has capacity for three bikes as standard but can add an extension for a fourth one.