Snow foam recommendations

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

A little bit of shampoo mixed with the Valet Pro foam produces amazing foam which is very thick and dwells well.

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Crayonmac wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:03 am Any recommendations of which cleaning products I should be using on my new car?
Bilt Hamber Auto Foam for me. There's a U Tube channel - 'Forensic Detailing' - Jon has produced many videos on products, technique and general car care, well worth a look if you want to care for your car. He can be a bit long winded but he seems to know his stuff, claims to be unbiased and advocates Bilt Hamber for most products.
This is his review of Bilt Hamber product range, it starts at 3 mins in with Snow Foam.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Bilt Hamber make excellent products. Snow foam doesn't necessarily have to be thick and foamy as it is a bugger to rinse off correctly.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
jone66

Post by jone66 »

Foam all the way but most video's I have seen people are using pressure washers to pre-soak. An old friend of mine 30 years ago would have ripped me a new one if I'd used a pressure washer on his car. And in the link the guys mention something about sensitive paint with Porsche? Surely all paint needs a year to cure fully?
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

Unsure on the sensitive paint issue and taking a year to cure. However if you’ve got a ceramic coating on the car for example that was professionally applied then does this not make the sensitive paint debate irrelevant?

Or am I missing something?

Also I standby Auto Finesse Avalanche for my foam and their quick detailed is good. Rest of the stuff I can leave. Bolt Hamber Auto-wash is the business.

All personal opinion really and I’m guessing water quality in your area must have an impact on some products. I’ve tried things that were meant to be the best and I’ve followed the instructions but it’s just never worked for me.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

jone66 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:01 pm An old friend of mine 30 years ago would have ripped me a new one if I'd used a pressure washer on his car. And in the link the guys mention something about sensitive paint with Porsche? Surely all paint needs a year to cure fully?
I can understand your friends viewpoint from that era but paint just like cars have moved on a bit since 70/80s. Now a 4 layer process that’s baked on at each level following the first which is an electro coated zinc based body primer (effectively rust proofs whole body) then primed and baked, base coat/colour and baked, clear coat and baked so already fully cured once leaving the painting line.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
jone66

Post by jone66 »

MikeM wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:07 pm
jone66 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:01 pm An old friend of mine 30 years ago would have ripped me a new one if I'd used a pressure washer on his car. And in the link the guys mention something about sensitive paint with Porsche? Surely all paint needs a year to cure fully?
I can understand your friends viewpoint from that era but paint just like cars have moved on a bit since 70/80s. Now a 4 layer process that’s baked on at each level following the first which is an electro coated zinc based body primer (effectively rust proofs whole body) then primed and baked, base coat/colour and baked, clear coat and baked so already fully cured once leaving the painting line.
Yes, I think you are probably right Mike re: paint quality I still cringe when I see the lance of water come out in the local car wash though, certainly somewhere I won't be visiting in a new Porsche. What are your views on ceramic coatings? I was thinking, straight from dealership for some of this treatment. I certainly won't have the OPC doing it.
https://www.exclusivecarcare.co.uk/gtechniq-wiltshire/
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Justin at ECC, Trowbridge is well established and does an excellent job.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
jone66

Post by jone66 »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:30 am
Justin at ECC, Trowbridge is well established and does an excellent job.
Cheers Steve, I've seen the website which looks impressive, all the info re: over night security etc, so a nice journey to say goodbye to the new car for a few days when I complete my purchase.
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

jone66 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:23 am
MikeM wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:07 pm
Yes, I think you are probably right Mike re: paint quality I still cringe when I see the lance of water come out in the local car wash though, certainly somewhere I won't be visiting in a new Porsche. What are your views on ceramic coatings? I was thinking, straight from dealership for some of this treatment. I certainly won't have the OPC doing it.
https://www.exclusivecarcare.co.uk/gtechniq-wiltshire/
I haven’t used Justin myself as I prep my own (using sealant) and topping up, which is needed more frequently than ceramic that can last many years if washed and cared for properly. He has a good reputation on this forum, so if I was looking at a Ceramic coating I would definitely give him a call.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6