Best Cleaning Brand

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
srj8t2

Post by srj8t2 »

Hi All

I enjoy cleaning my cars and currently have a new Macan S on order which is due in April

I was just wondering what the best product brand is to clean and detail with ?

I currently use a combo of auto finesse, auto glym and have used meguiars in the past ?

Thanks in advance

drgav2005

Post by drgav2005 »

I got my Macan a G Techniq ceramic coating and this helps the muck to wash off the car quickly.
I tend to use Autoglym polar blast / polar wash with a snow foam lance and wash the car down with a micro fibre sponge and rinse in 2 buckets of warm water to minimise any paint scratching.
I use bilt hamber alloy wheel cleaner and it’s excellent.
This keeps the car (jet black metallic) looking pretty good… I am sure it could be detailed up to look utterly amazing but with a black car it’s filthy after about 5 minutes anyway :D
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I’m currently driving a Merc and am pretty much a Meguiars fan. I do use ValetPRO Bilberry Wheel Cleaner Spray to dissolve wheel brake dust and carbon and then wash them. Will spray on a protectorant on those occasionally supplied by Merc. I use the Meguiars NXT car wash, always a Microfibre sponge, hose down and always dry with 2 to 3 microfibre towels. My car is Silver and is not too difficult. I started using these products with my previous black Merc which was a nightmare to keep clean and to avoid the swirl marks which show much much more on dark colours.

Mercs have a hard compound paint finish which is quite resilient. Anyone know if Porsche do the same?

My ordered Macan is Carrara White so I am hoping that will be easy too.
Macan S MY 2023
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

I dont find there’s any real answer to this.

Used plenty of brand over the years Autoglym, autofinesse, bilt hamber, gtechniq, gyeon etc etc.

People say stuff is fantastic and then you use it and don’t get on with it. I’ve put this down to the water where you live. Can be the only reason imo as long as you’ve followed the instructions.

Haven’t got a bad word to say about gtechniq personally, certainly on a coating level. Auto finesse quick detailer is great and their snow foam avalanche works great for me as well.

Gradually gaining confidence with some gyeon products (testing these on the wife’s car) however as above people rave about bilt hambers auto foam and it was hopeless for me.

Good luck!
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Partysausage wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 pm however as above people rave about bilt hambers auto foam and it was hopeless for me.

In what way was it hopeless? Cause it didn't go like shaving foam?
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

In a well known weekly motoring mag’. Bilt Hamber was given the best score out of all tested.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Depends if you are going to have your S given a ceramic coating or not.

Ceramic
Gtechniq does seem the most popular with members here (myself included) and if you go the ceramic route stick with the same manufacturers products.

Wax
Bad experiences with Autoglym, I consider it u/s and nothing more than a dirt magnet causing you to buy yet more if their products to get the grime off. It really is a case though of using what brand you want.

A rather large thread on the subject.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5106&hilit=Washing ... your+macan

If you have cleaning OCD head over to the detailingworld website to learn more

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Please do not expect a Rolls Royce finish on your Macan, yes it is a Porsche but their paint finish still needs correction, my detailer took a full day correcting my Macan before applying ceramic coating.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Rarecolour wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:35 am
Partysausage wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 pm however as above people rave about bilt hambers auto foam and it was hopeless for me.

I've had little success with any snow foam to be honest, the reviews showing dirty foam running off onto the floor are not what I see. I've tried BH Auto foam through both a snow foam lance on the Kranzle and a pressure sprayer (to ensure 4% strength at application), and i barely see any dirty foam even in the worst of winter conditions. I accept its not a high foaming product (no shaving foam here) but in my years of using it its not the wow product some people think it is. I've used it on several cars coated with Gtechniq ceramic and cars with wax (right up to Zymol Atlantique and Vintage waxes). Autoglym Polar Blast, like most other snow foams, is a high foaming product and I found it no better than AutoFoam in cleaning ability. I continue to use BH Auto Foam, better to have a prewash that removes an amount of dirt, even if its the loosest items, before the wash stage.

Ceramic coatings like Gtechniq do make cleaning easier, especially if you're not a detailing geek at heart
andreas

Post by andreas »

I wash with ordinary wash'n'wax, 2-bucket method, and rinse with resin-filtered water. I can then just leave the car to dry, with no water marks. For the wheels I use Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner.

Gtechniq Quick Detailer is good, as is Gtechniq Perfect Glass. For larger areas, Sonax Brilliant Shine is excellent.

I believe the secret to keeping the paintwork looking good is to try to avoid touching it more than absolutely necessary, hence no drying or polishing.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

Rarecolour wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:35 am

I didn’t go like shaving foam but I’m sure you know the amount of suds isn’t really an issue to it’s cleaning effectiveness.

It didn’t glide over the surface like other shampoos I’ve tried which is my main concern.