Is Paint Protection Film a Must for a New 2022 Macan?

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

My first Macan was volcano grey, I owned it from 10k miles when I had it ceramic coated. Sold it at 28k with no stone chips. So, for me the ceramic coat was worth it.
PPF I’m not sure about. On super cars, yes, but a family SUV?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Over the years members here who have gone the Pro Detailer and ceramic coating route probably fall into one of two categories

1 A level bordering on if not achieving OCD about the finish and look of their car.

2 Those that not OCD and just want a finish that is pretty quick and easy to wash and dry.

I fall into the second category.

Would I have a ceramic coating applied again? Yes, but I would most certainly get a set of wheels that are far easier to clean than Spyders which imo look the best but they are a sod to clean
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Seems that again people are getting confused between ceramic coat (applied by detailer) and ppf (paint protection film)

Ceramic coating will not protect the car from stone chips but will both keep the car cleaner and make it easier to clean

I have ceramic coat but not ppf on the Porsches.

I do have ppf on the lotus as it spends a lot of time on track (unsurprisingly) and can get very close to the rear of the car in front at up to 150mph or so and therefore lots of things get thrown up at it - I’ve lost a windscreen to a bit of rubber before
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Not getting confused, I’m well aware of the difference, just saying that in 18k miles I had no stone chips, so my conclusion is that ceramic coating DOES make a difference.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

I fitted mudflaps front and rear on my previous Macan in the hope it would help keep the rear of the car a bit cleaner on the dirty country roads around here. They may have had a minimal effect but not enough to make me fit them to my latest one.
I’ve had ceramic coating on both the Macans and I do think it helps when you come to clean the car but don’t think it will do anything to protect against gravel rash.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

Is PPF necessary on a Macan - absolutely not.
I thought about it but ended up going for the £600 OPC applied ceramic coating and to be honest I thought it was not money well spent & if doing it again I'd either do nothing or go to a good independent and get much more TLC for the same £600. But, and i was surprised at this, I recently sent the car to a local detailer for a good scrub up and he commented that for a day to day car (school run, tescos, etc, etc) he had never seen such unmarked paintwork on an 2-1/2 year old car. TBH I think it was a combination of not living anywhere near a motorway, the Gtechniq coating and only occasional very careful washing (once per month) when I basically take a several hours and treat the paintwork with respect (rinse/foam + rise/wash + rise/wheels/engine bay/glass)

But I've got a GT4 arriving in a couple of weeks and that's booked in for PPF, but a very different car as when selling many buyers are looking for garage queens.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

AllanG wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:02 pm
Nelladrahcir wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:20 am
Someone recently recommended a quality touch up product whose name I've already forgotten. Can someone repost that please?
Chipex
15% off currently https://chipex.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR2CVDAc ... YL_7iy2T_Q
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:03 pm Over the years members here who have gone the Pro Detailer and ceramic coating route probably fall into one of two categories

1 A level bordering on if not achieving OCD about the finish and look of their car.

2 Those that not OCD and just want a finish that is pretty quick and easy to wash and dry.

I fall into the second category.

Would I have a ceramic coating applied again? Yes, but I would most certainly get a set of wheels that are far easier to clean than Spyders which imo look the best but they are a sod to clean
I think I'm in both categories.
One thing's for sure, it's expensive.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Not doing PPF here and hoping the Macan will do as well as my Merc has after 52000 miles. I have also heard some negatives with it , i.e. discolouration and difficulty removing it if you so desired.
Macan S MY 2023
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Expecting sparks to fly here but….

I have watched a few videos which suggest from their tests that wax will protect your car from stone chips far better than gtechniq ceramic coating. One video had a very basic test where they had each coating on the same panel and then tried scratching/hitting it with a lighter. The waxed side held up significantly better.

I’d assume but seen no tests that ppf would protect against stone chips even better(did see a video from USA where the owner had significant holes in their ppf from all the impacts over a few years). But as with all these things it depends what you are treating your car for/protecting against.