Is Paint Protection Film a Must for a New 2022 Macan?

Cleaning and detailing your Macan.
RoccMajor

Post by RoccMajor »

This will be my first Porsche, have driven BMW's and have cared for the paint work with good waxes, claybarring, etc. And they have held up beautifully over time. I have heard people say that Paint Protection Film is a must for Porsche vehicles? Is this true, or can I take care of the paint with the usual waxing, etc?

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

RoccMajor wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:06 am This will be my first Porsche, have driven BMW's and have cared for the paint work with good waxes, claybarring, etc. And they have held up beautifully over time. I have heard people say that Paint Protection Film is a must for Porsche vehicles? Is this true, or can I take care of the paint with the usual waxing, etc?
Rubbish. Carry on with your usual practice.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nig0151

Post by Nig0151 »

RoccMajor wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:06 am This will be my first Porsche, have driven BMW's and have cared for the paint work with good waxes, claybarring, etc. And they have held up beautifully over time. I have heard people say that Paint Protection Film is a must for Porsche vehicles? Is this true, or can I take care of the paint with the usual waxing, etc?
Similar situation with me, taking delivery of my first Porsche (Macan S) on Friday and my previous cars (BMW Mercs) use of regular washes and periodic waxes have been sufficient. However I have decided to up the ante this time around and currently in the process of booking a local detailer for some coating/frontal PPF . My understanding is that with these additional measures, the biggest benefit is that it makes regular cleaning easier rather than a "huge" difference in paint work over time. I kept my previous cars garaged overnight/when not in use and in my opinion this has a bigger impact overall for the cars aesthetic appearance and mechanical health.
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

It largely depends on how ‘precious’ you are over your transport.
If you want to avoid the ‘motorway rash’ on the front and huge front clamshell then get it covered. I had half bonnet and front done and it is still chip-free.
Worth noting, the huge tyres will throw up stones, so it’s worth considering the lower panels behind the wheels and below the side blades. Again I had these areas covered. The PPF is practically invisible and self-healing to a degree, but not cheap!
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

I'm waiting my new macan but wont be putting ppf. Not knocking those who do it's just personal choice. Were the bonnet to ever get that bad, and I've never had any real problems like that for any car, I'm thinking the cost of a respray if needed would be a better option?

Someone recently recommended a quality touch up product whose name I've already forgotten. Can someone repost that please?

Re tyres throwing up stones I had been told this can be an issue that affected painted side blades and that the new style blades stick out to deflect stones??? Not sure whether true or not but makes sense if true.
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Took my last Macan over 70k and it was white so you should notice every scratch/blemish, the skirts are probably the only bit I'd protect if I could do it again but really they weren't bad at all.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

A Must …. most definitely not.

My Turbo is over five years old now and has stood up very well, yes there is some PPF applied to it but that was fitted by Porsche just in front of each rear wheel arch to protect the paintwork and each patch is only about 10” x 5”.

You will find a lot here have gone the route of Pro Detailing and ceramic coatings, but if you like to wax then if that works for you they why not continue.

Do not be surprised if on the arrival of your Macan the paintwork needs correcting to get it to the OCD level of detailing. Don’t get me wrong it will be excellent straight out of the factory but there is always room for improvement.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
andreas

Post by andreas »

RoccMajor wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:06 am I have heard people say that Paint Protection Film is a must for Porsche vehicles? Is this true, or can I take care of the paint with the usual waxing, etc?
It depends on how fastidious you are about the car, and how long you intend to keep it. Otherwise, all you're doing is spending a lot of money to keep the car looking good for the next owner, and you won't get more money for it when you come to sell it.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

B737NGWS wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:26 am
.......Worth noting, the huge tyres will throw up stones, so it’s worth considering the lower panels behind the wheels and below the side blades. Again I had these areas covered. The PPF is practically invisible and self-healing to a degree, but not cheap!
Mudflaps would help. Why do they get a bad rap? Is it the same as wooden steering wheels and trim, just not fashionable
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Never come to a forum looking for an unbiased answer to your question. That holds true "in Spades" for a subject as emotive as detailing.

There are members of this forum who've had their car moved from dealership to detailers by trailer, spent thousands of pounds on their chosen treatment and, of course, will tell you that there is a benefit in this.

There are other members, like me, who've gone down the dealer applied treatment route with differing opinions.

There's a third group (probably the least vocal) who have no treatment applied and keep the car clean by washing and polishing.

Via members, there is feedback from detailers that the quality of Porsche paint finishes is generally pretty good. So any money you spend is not to overcome manufacturing deficiencies.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel