Macan collapsable spare wheel.

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

As some are aware I've been looking for a spare for my Macan and don't really want to pay circa £500 for a new one. I've come across a few used ones but the tyres have always been about 5-6 years old ,so passed them by.
I've seen a reasonably priced one recently and made some enquiries about the cost of putting a new tyre on the rim - sods law and a bit of a surprise really - you can't fit a new tyre to the rim ( Vredestein tech dept) they are only available as a fitted unit , which probably applies to all collapsible tyres. He did say that the lifespan on the tyre was much greater than a normal tyre as it's always tucked away in the boot.
Might have to bite the bullet and pay the £500.

2japs

Post by 2japs »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:19 pm As some are aware I've been looking for a spare for my Macan and don't really want to pay circa £500 for a new one. I've come across a few used ones but the tyres have always been about 5-6 years old ,so passed them by.
I've seen a reasonably priced one recently and made some enquiries about the cost of putting a new tyre on the rim - sods law and a bit of a surprise really - you can't fit a new tyre to the rim ( Vredestein tech dept) they are only available as a fitted unit , which probably applies to all collapsible tyres. He did say that the lifespan on the tyre was much greater than a normal tyre as it's always tucked away in the boot.
Might have to bite the bullet and pay the £500.
That’s interesting, so the first Macans in 2014 with a spare wheel, not long until 10years old, how long is the rubber supposed to last before you will need to replace the whole wheel at circa £ 700?
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

If this is the case then it makes them a waste of time. Perhaps buy one of the puncture repairs kits and carry that. This way you can probably fix the issue without without removing the wheel and get to a garage if Porsche Assist can't get to you. These spare wheels are only good for 50 miles ;)
Macan S MY 2023
wingless

Post by wingless »

Unable to locate manufacturer's info on years of tire life for a collapsible spare tire.

Found 7-10 years life for a donut or a full sized spare.

The normal inspection for age cracks is listed online.
2022 Macan
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Here are the industry recommendations....

Screenshot_20230731_171214_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230731_171246_Google.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Personally I do not carry a spare wheel anymore in any of our cars.

I do not want to change a tyre roadside - too dangerous and you get filthy if you do do it.

I do not want the inconvenience of putting the removed and inevitably large, heavy and dirty road wheel & tyre inside the car.

I do carry a compressor and pumped repair liquid....but never have had needed to use it.

I do have Roadside Assistance. They carry a universal fitting spare and do the remove and fit for you. They then follow you to your chosen tyre dealer to get it changed. N.B. you then drive at max 50 mph for a max of 50 miles. Failing that, they will recover your car on a low-loader.

Usually a slow puncture can be managed by ensuring the tyre is topped up to the full load pressure and simply driving slowly to the tyre depot to get it repaired or replaced.
Steve

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I’m just waiting for Col’s famous photo to appear on this thread!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

we had the collapsible spare on both previous macans.
Never had to use it and haven’t bothered on the latest. Decided I’d rather have the storage space
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:15 pm Here are the industry recommendations....

Where did that second quote come from Steve? They can't spell 'tyre' correctly! The 10 year guidance is sensible though. It's illegal to use them on commercials over 3.5 tonnes and on buses, coaches and minibuses. But for a high performance car tyre I wouldn't be happy going over six years of age.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:21 am
SAC1 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:15 pm Here are the industry recommendations....

Where did that second quote come from Steve? They can't spell 'tyre' correctly! The 10 year guidance is sensible though. It's illegal to use them on commercials over 3.5 tonnes and on buses, coaches and minibuses. But for a high performance car tyre I wouldn't be happy going over six years of age.
Tire Rack [USA] is the source, as I could not find a UK one on Google.

We're talking as per the subject header - Macan collapsable spare wheel. Commercials over 3.5 tonnes and on buses, coaches and minibuses - don't use collapsable ones to my knowledge. A spare assembly that lives 99% of its life in the boot well and so does not see daylight is supposedly ok for up to 10 years of age.

On tyres fitted to road wheels the "rule" is not to fit if 5 years old or older and to remove at 10 years of age regardless of condition and remainning tread depth. I agree Nick that on a high performance car, I too would not be happy to use tham after six years of age. Unless it was on a garage queen collectors car that is never driven in anger!
Steve