Tyre repair

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Know this has been discussed extensively here, but just can't for the life of me find it. Also know that there are one or two tyre industry veterans on here.

Had a slow puncture in Macan front wheel last week. Ended up driving on it for 2-3 miles when under inflated at c.1.4 bar.

Called mobile puncture repair as had to get it fixed on Sunday, as had 400 mile round trip to daughter graduation Monday / yesterday. Mobile tyre people, who have great reviews online, were excellent. Found the problem which was close to the centre of the tyre, well away from side wall, patched the hole and re-inflated. Car was great on the trip. No loss of pressure, steering fine.

So - I assume I'm all good, but have never had a tyre repaired. Am probably fussing by posting this....
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Personally, I consider a plug a temporary fix.

So I would change the tyre when convenient and avoid high speeds or hard acceleration until it's changed

There again, I have not been lucky with where my punctures are located.

OK so fess up those who saw the Admiral’s post title and expected old faithful to be included in my response.

lowrespuncture.jpg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:22 am Know this has been discussed extensively here, but just can't for the life of me find it. Also know that there are one or two tyre industry veterans on here.

Had a slow puncture in Macan front wheel last week. Ended up driving on it for 2-3 miles when under inflated at c.1.4 bar.

Called mobile puncture repair as had to get it fixed on Sunday, as had 400 mile round trip to daughter graduation Monday / yesterday. Mobile tyre people, who have great reviews online, were excellent. Found the problem which was close to the centre of the tyre, well away from side wall, patched the hole and re-inflated. Car was great on the trip. No loss of pressure, steering fine.

So - I assume I'm all good, but have never had a tyre repaired. Am probably fussing by posting this....
If repaired profesionally as described, then it will be fine for UK use. Different if you were doing track days or regular very high speed driving on derestricted German autobans.

I ran a repaired rear tyre for over 9000 miles on my Macan SD, before its replacement at 3mm. I worked in the tyre industry for over 39 yerts and so I'm very tyre conscientious.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Likewise here, we had a tyre repaired on our first Macan SD. The puncture was also in the middle of the tyre tread.
The repaired tyre lasted till it's end of natural life.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:22 am Know this has been discussed extensively here, but just can't for the life of me find it. Also know that there are one or two tyre industry veterans on here.

No offence but that is the main reason for the compressor (located behind the panel on the nearside of the boot). You are at greater risk of damaging the tyre by driving with it underinflated than you are from the puncture. There is rapid heat build up if the sidewalls are flexing more than they were designed to do. 2-3 miles at 1.4 bar is probably OK as long as you kept the speed down.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:18 am

If repaired profesionally as described, then it will be fine for UK use. Different if you were doing track days or regular very high speed driving on derestricted German autobans.

I ran a repaired rear tyre for over 9000 miles on my Macan SD, before its replacement at 3mm. I worked in the tyre industry for over 39 yerts and so I'm very tyre conscientious.
Got it. Large thanks Steve. Thought you might be the industry veteran.
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

On-Track wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:58 am

No offence but that is the main reason for the compressor (located behind the panel on the nearside of the boot). You are at greater risk of damaging the tyre by driving with it underinflated than you are from the puncture. There is rapid heat build up if the sidewalls are flexing more than they were designed to do. 2-3 miles at 1.4 bar is probably OK as long as you kept the speed down.
Yep, I definitely get you which was one of the reasons for asking. It was all below 20mph, and then I refilled it at a garage.
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:34 am Personally, I consider a plug a temporary fix.

So I would change the tyre when convenient and avoid high speeds or hard acceleration until it's changed

There again, I have not been lucky with where my punctures are located.

OK so fess up those who saw the Admiral’s post title and expected old faithful to be included in my response.

lowrespuncture.jpg
Ha! I did anticipate something along these lines
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

I seriously wouldn't worry about it. I've had countless tyres repaired over the years, and never battered an eyelid when it can to driving it afterwards. If done by a reputable tyre repair business, then it will be fine.

I know some on here have mentioned a tyre repair will invalidate the Porsche warranty. Load of Tosh !
wingless

Post by wingless »

My tool kit always carried in my Macan includes this augmented Safety Seal tire repair kit to permit onsite permanent repair of small and normal sized tire punctures.

My experience is zero issues w/ plugged punctures.

2022 Macan