Tyre Pressure Monitoring following additional air

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
DGC

Post by DGC »

This seems a very silly question but here goes.
I have a new Macan S which has now done 2500 miles. the tyre pressure warning light came on yellow. I went to the garage and set each tyre to the recommended levels. Now I cant get the solid yellow warning light to go off.
The display system tell me that measurement is in progress - this is after circa 20 minutes additional driving.
I have set the target measurements based on partial load and tyre size and type etc.
I have check pressures at 2 garages just in case something wrong with first so I know pressures are ok and acceptable.

I hate warning lights - just in case. the car is driving perfectly well.
Any ideas please?.
I appreciate that this is most likely a "user error".
thanks in advance.

Conwy GTS

Post by Conwy GTS »

Now I haven’t got my GTS yet, but in all of my other cars with TPM, you usually have to manually reset it recalibrate once you’ve adjusted the pressures.
Current :
2021 Porsche Macan GTS

Previously :
2014 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Jaguar F Type 3.0S
2016 VW Golf R
2017 Audi S4 Avant
2016 Audi S3 Sportback
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I had the same warning after I refilled the tyres on my Macan S after I changed the pressures, and it took several miles driving before it reset the TPMS system.......hope this will be the same for your car.

This is taken from the Porsche ‘Good to Know’ app:-

“Teaching in Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Tyre Pressure Monitoring begins to "learn" the tyres after a wheel change, after a wheel transmitter is replaced or after the tyre settings are updated. During this process, Tyre Pressure Monitoring recognises the wheels and their locations. Position and pressure information is displayed as soon as Tyre Pressure Monitoring has assigned the wheels recognised as belonging to the vehicle to the correct wheel positions.

During this process, the required pressures for cold tyres (20 °C) are displayed in the PCM and a message appears on the instrument cluster.

The tyre pressure warning light on the instrument cluster remains lit until all the wheels have been taught in.”
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

DGC wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:02 pm This seems a very silly question but here goes.
I have a new Macan S which has now done 2500 miles. the tyre pressure warning light came on yellow. I went to the garage and set each tyre to the recommended levels. Now I cant get the solid yellow warning light to go off.
The display system tell me that measurement is in progress - this is after circa 20 minutes additional driving.
I have set the target measurements based on partial load and tyre size and type etc.
I have check pressures at 2 garages just in case something wrong with first so I know pressures are ok and acceptable.

I hate warning lights - just in case. the car is driving perfectly well.
Any ideas please?.
I appreciate that this is most likely a "user error".
thanks in advance.
Did you add or subtract the pressure the PCM stated?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
jk88

Post by jk88 »

It was a few years ago now, but think I may have encoutered something similar. The solution that worked for me was to set the TPMS to the 'wrong tyre' (so if you have 20in summer, just select 19in winter etc), take for a brief drive round the block and then switch off, switch on and set to the correct tyre and then start the learning process. May not solve the issue you have but only takes a few minutes so maybe worth a try.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
DGC

Post by DGC »

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I’ve followed the manual plus app advice too. Seems to be stuck in “learning mode”. Now getting error message “tyre pressure monitoring fault. Service required”. Drove for circa 20 miles last night trying various options.
Looks like a trip to the dealer required. Will have 1 last attempt at selecting a different setting and going for a drive then resetting to correct tyre settings and see what happens,
Will post result just in case of help to any other owner.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

try setting pressures when the tyres are cold, as a drive to the garage to top up will over inflate.
DGC

Post by DGC »

Hi all. Just spoken with OPD who after asking several questions regarding messages displayed and actions attempted, advised that “Porsche is currently running a campaign re TPMS”.
When I asked if this meant there was a known fault, he replied yes and advised they need the car for 1 to 2 hours to fix.
Confirmed ok to drive car for a few weeks until they can fit it in for repair.
Thanks again for the various helpful hints.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Mine was quite unpredictable for a while after i drove over a big speed bump.

Checked all the tyres and set them 3 psi under and it seems to have learnt well.

I have no idea how it distinguishes between a slow puncture and a deliberate low pressure.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

Evening -hope it's ok to revive this thread.

Offside rear warning came on, urgently!, i.e.red - got home tyre looked fine, but slightly under inflated. Thought I saw a nail in it so took it to tyre lady - wheel off and what I thought was a nail was a stone, but there was a screw embedded close to the inner wall. "Could do a major repair" - no thank you!

New tyre fitted same day, but warning still occurs even though the pressure is right and reflected in the TPS on screen.

Can this be cured by me, or must I visit dealer?

Many thanks for any suggestions.