Horrendously excessive internal condensation

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Hi All

I may answer my own question here but my Macan hadnt been used for about 10 days and this morning i had to take my boy to school.

I initially thought the windscreen was iced over so duly defrosted it but still could not see out! It was infact frozen on the inside :o

I put the heaters on full which obviously resulted in a waterfall which covered the dash and a spare towel i used under the lads booster seat was utilised to mop up the water.

This afternoon i saw another few droplets of water on the centre console and thought i should operate the pano roof cover back only to find the whole of the inside of the glass covered with water droplets.

The car is not demisting fully and im guessing its due to the excessive moisture inside the cabin.

I have parked it up and placed a dehumidifier interior damp trap on the centre arm rest to see if this will soak of some of the condensation.

Is there anything else i could do short of leaving the windows open :?:

I cannot use the car every day of the month due to my work but it will be used everyday for the next few days whilst im off

Thanks in anticipation

Gaz
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I'd have to suspect a leak or that you've left something wet in the car. Have you felt under the floor mats for dampness?

Next time you demist / defrost the car, open the windows a bit to let the damp air out, otherwise it will just stay in the car and condense again next time.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Its been an on off Macan problem since new and it depends upon atmospheric conditions.

As it is the Macan A/C leaves a lot to be desired with members here over the years commenting on how their systems function.

Try this, put the Recirc on and turn the cabin all three Temp controls all the way down, run it for a few minutes until the cabin is as cold as it can get. Then parkup and exit the car.

The capacity of air to hold water vapour decreases substantially with temp and having it on Recird should casue the moisture in the car to condense on the chiller coil and then drip out below the car when it is parked.

This is dependent upon the chiller coil being in the Recirc circuit, I have no idea if it is gut it is worth a try.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Cheers for the replies

I’ll check & try the comments suggested

Gaz

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Do you leave the aircon on all the time? (you should.....)
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

CharlesElliott wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:15 pm Do you leave the aircon on all the time? (you should.....)
Yes

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Switch on the A/C and heater on high at the same time... this is an old automotive trick! Your windshield and the rest of the car inside will dry up faster.

The theory behind is that water evaporates faster at higher temperatures and the aircon removes humidity from the air.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Pivot wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:35 pm Switch on the A/C and heater on high at the same time... this is an old automotive trick! Your windshield and the rest of the car inside will dry up faster.

The theory behind is that water evaporates faster at higher temperatures and the aircon removes humidity from the air.
I don't know where the OP lives but, for a lot of the country, temperatures yesterday morning were at or below freezing. At those temperatures, the AC does not operate even if selected. I think the cut-off point is 4 degrees C but I stand to be corrected.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Alternatively, switch on ‘windshield demystifier’, it should kick in A/C, heater & blower on high, directed at your windshield.

At least, that is how it works on BMW (Bosch system), Lexus (Nippon Denso system) and Mercedes (Bosch again). I suspect that Porsche — another premium Teutonic brand — would follow suit.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

My Macan had a tendency to mist up and the 911 also has a similar issue. As someone else said the screen function clears the misting glass but that quickly makes the car too warm. It must be a Porsche thing. I have a Suzuki Grand Vatira that I use as a daily runner and never have any problems with misting. In fact the climatic control is miles better, heating quicker and never any condensation issues.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50