Leaking Roof????

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

I had the same issue. Notably it was during the cold snap and the windscreen was iced over on the inside 🤣

I had the complete pan roof cassette mechanism replaced under warranty and it’s been fine since, that was maybe 3 years ago.
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D

mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

Personally love the pano roof - certainly lighter for me in the cabin and usually have it open as much as possible, even at night 😁. Don’t ever close the blind. But I’ve had three cabrios so maybe I’m biased.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose
andreas

Post by andreas »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:53 am

I have never had a problem (to date!) with water leaks on either of my Macans. I did ask for the drains to be checked at the first service of the SD . But all good.

I live in a rural area with mucky lanes, but never park under trees. Invariably park up on level ground. Never garaged though. Not sure if any of this helps, but as I say, they've been waterproof over 4.5 yrs.
My car lives outside in a rural area too, and I've never had any water leaking into the interior. At the 2-year service, I was told that the pano drains were blocked, and could be cleared for around £300 - I declined. At the 4-year service about a month ago, I was once again assured that the pano drains were blocked and again encouraged to spend some £300 to clear them - again I declined. When I washed the car a week of so later, I actually checked the drains, and water was successfully draining through each of the 4 outlets. However, I thought the design of the outlets is flawed and could encourage blockages, so I've snipped off the little duckbill non-return valves on them.

It seems to me that OPCs see pano drains as a useful source of easy extra income from people who can't be bothered to check themselves.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
MacanS_2018

Post by MacanS_2018 »

So the OPC had my Macan S for 10 days to fix the leaking pan roof. Unfortunately whilst drying out the carpets they punctured the fuel tank!

So they replaced the fuel tank and recalibrated it THREE times before I got the car back. At least they did a good job in comms and repairing a problem they caused.

Pano roof cassette was repaired, they cleaned it and re-sealed it. I tested with hosepipe for 10 minutes and no water inside.

Let’s hope that the end of it, although I’m thinking of getting rid as checking for leaks every time it rains isn’t my idea of driving a Porsche.

Porsche also said they’d done the work as a gesture of goodwill, which really really annoyed me. It’s under warranty until 2023!
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

MacanS_2018 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:00 pm So the OPC had my Macan S for 10 days to fix the leaking pan roof. Unfortunately whilst drying out the carpets they punctured the fuel tank!

So they replaced the fuel tank and recalibrated it THREE times before I got the car back. At least they did a good job in comms and repairing a problem they caused.

Pano roof cassette was repaired, they cleaned it and re-sealed it. I tested with hosepipe for 10 minutes and no water inside.

Let’s hope that the end of it, although I’m thinking of getting rid as checking for leaks every time it rains isn’t my idea of driving a Porsche.

Porsche also said they’d done the work as a gesture of goodwill, which really really annoyed me. It’s under warranty until 2023!
Cross reference with: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8345&start=110 if you haven't already read that.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
MacanS_2018

Post by MacanS_2018 »

So I’ve had the Macan at home for almost a month. Checking every time it rains to see if water is getting in.

After heavy rainfall this weekend, the leak came back.

Drivers footwell sodden, damp roof and a-pillar.

Written to Porsche complaints team to ask that they take the car back and settle the finance.

Really do not want the stress of having the car go back and forth to OPC and then having to check for the water inside every time I drive it.
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

MacanS_2018 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:18 pm So I’ve had the Macan at home for almost a month. Checking every time it rains to see if water is getting in.

Written to Porsche complaints team to ask that they take the car back and settle the finance.

Really do not want the stress of having the car go back and forth to OPC and then having to check for the water inside every time I drive it.
What a complete pain in the anal orifice. I'd been wavering about adding the pano roof back into my spec but you've settled that dilemma. Hope you get an acceptable resolution, one way or another.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Old Chimer wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:21 am
MacanS_2018 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:18 pm So I’ve had the Macan at home for almost a month. Checking every time it rains to see if water is getting in.

What a complete pain in the anal orifice. I'd been wavering about adding the pano roof back into my spec but you've settled that dilemma. Hope you get an acceptable resolution, one way or another.
Be careful about making decisions based on a few bad reports. What about the 4000 other members of this forum who have never reported a problem with drains. Are they all wrong .?

I have never seen a good report for the Ioniser option. However my personal position makes it seem right for me.

Look back at why you wanted a pano in the first place and don't worry about the very small possibility that it may leak. My view is that it seems to happen on cars over 4 years old, and even then is preventable and fixable.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

So I did do some research on pano as the SEs I spoke to were really pushing them (and bose).

The statistics are that worldwide 25% DO NOT have a pano roof.

There have been reports of leaks.

It appears to be mainly Gen 1 cars and those that have got the 'duck bill' end to the drain pipes.

It would be helpful if any owners of Gen 2 cars can report any issues.

Various suggestions have been put up to avoid problems including pushing various items down the drains. On this point I would be cautious as on certain cars they are made up of two tubes connected in the middle. The connection is buried below the A post and I would not want to cause damage to that joint.

Finally, and this was my concern, when there have been problems they can be serious including soaked carpets, soaked lining, wet wiring and then the following embuggerance of getting that fixed.

Being someone who prefers to avoid problems I decided not have a pano but that's me.

Ps also having driven cars with both I didn't really notice much difference in the 'brightness' of the cabin as sitting in the drivers seat I'm usually looking in the horizontal. The pano was lovely when I was sitting in the back.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong so no offence to Pano owners intended.

Re bose there are folk who can't tell the difference or say it's not worth the money. I not an audiophile but it dud sound better so I did order that, i couldn't justify the Axminster or whatever it's called.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

You would think that if there was a problem with Gen 1 Macans surely by Gen 3, Porsche would have managed to solve the problem.

Many manufacturers have sun roofs / pano roofs and surely the majority do not leak. :roll: :roll: