Sim Card Slot

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

I’ve just been and collected my new (Old) 2017 model Macan S and is such a brillliant car to drive. This one actually has the Nav and Reversing Camera, plus a whole host of other stuff that i wanted as well. But, it doesn’t have a Sim Card slot, or at least i can’t see one anywhere. It does have to SD Memory card slots and did come with 2 “other things” that the dealer said was to do with the tracker.

image.jpg

Any ideas what they are? Plus if there’s no Sim Card slot, does that mean i won’t have Porsche Connect services?

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

In my Gen 1 the SIM card slot is between the SD cards behind the fold down flap under the sat nav

I kept this from another user - a good write up. The 'things' you have are for the Vodafone tracker. I don't use mine..........

There are two similar sounding services.

Porsche Car Connect (PCC)
https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/login.do

Porsche Connect Services. (PCS)
https://www.porsche.com/uk/connect/

PCC is administered by Vodafone Automotive and comprises Remote Services, Safety Services and Security Services. The Remote Services is included “free” for the first year. Safety and Security are bundled together at £235 per year and if required will have to be paid for ab initio. If you need tracker for insurance or other purposes, then this is where you pay for it. It is the old VTS system but now built into PCM but still requiring the fob. As far as I am aware the tracker is Cat 5.

PCS is quite separate and provides inter alia access to Porsche Apps. To enable it you need to set up a Porsche ID. Once you have this ID you will get a pairing code that you enter into PCM to connect your car with the system. This system for MY 2018 cars works off an embedded sim. I think the first 2 years data is included in the cost of the car.
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

Madelvic wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:57 pm In my Gen 1 the SIM card slot is between the SD cards behind the fold down flap under the sat nav

I kept this from another user - a good write up. The 'things' you have are for the Vodafone tracker. I don't use mine..........

There are two similar sounding services.

Porsche Car Connect (PCC)
https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/login.do

Porsche Connect Services. (PCS)
https://www.porsche.com/uk/connect/

PCC is administered by Vodafone Automotive and comprises Remote Services, Safety Services and Security Services. The Remote Services is included “free” for the first year. Safety and Security are bundled together at £235 per year and if required will have to be paid for ab initio. If you need tracker for insurance or other purposes, then this is where you pay for it. It is the old VTS system but now built into PCM but still requiring the fob. As far as I am aware the tracker is Cat 5.

PCS is quite separate and provides inter alia access to Porsche Apps. To enable it you need to set up a Porsche ID. Once you have this ID you will get a pairing code that you enter into PCM to connect your car with the system. This system for MY 2018 cars works off an embedded sim. I think the first 2 years data is included in the cost of the car.
Brilliant info and thanks cos i have to admit i am totally confiused with this “Connect” stuff, it’s not difficult to confuse me :D by the way.

You may remember i bought a 2015 Macan from Peter Vardy Carz in Edingburgh and that had the Sim Card slot behind the pull down flap, but no memory card slots. That was taken back as the car was miss sold. I’ve now picked up the newer 2017 Macan with what looks like an updated PCM unit with Nav, 2 x SD Memory slots, but there’s no sim slot in between as you suggested. And that’s the bit that’s confusing me.

I’m assuming that i do in fact have the embedded sim for the “Tracking” services and this is solely ran by Vodaphone?

I’ve also registered on the Porsche website with the “My Porsche” and registered the new car, but it’s Saturday and they said they need to verify and will send the code once done so looking forward to see what happens there.

Am i also guessing correctly that under the PCS there will be an Apple Car Play app? If not how does that work and how do i know if i have Apple Car Play?
pmg

Post by pmg »

I think I have read somewhere that on some Gen 1 cars the sim slot was in the glovebox. I would look there and the centre box between the seats
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

pmg wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:32 pm I think I have read somewhere that on some Gen 1 cars the sim slot was in the glovebox. I would look there and the centre box between the seats
I’m off out for a kebab soon so will have another look for it, definitely not in the centre armrest though and not between the 2 SD Card slots, but i didn’t think to check the glove box.
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

Derek C wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:47 pm
pmg wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:32 pm I think I have read somewhere that on some Gen 1 cars the sim slot was in the glovebox. I would look there and the centre box between the seats
I’m off out for a kebab soon so will have another look for it, definitely not in the centre armrest though and not between the 2 SD Card slots, but i didn’t think to check the glove box.
There’s definitely no sim card slots in either the centre arm rest or the glove box
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The Gen 1A had a different PCM unit and almost everything was a paid for extra.

Late 2015 and Gen1B came online, with a more inclusive specs.

Gen 2 came out late 2018 hence mainly from 2019 and of course Gen 3 this year.

The VIN number at an OPC can be used to look up the as delivered spec and a printout produced so an OPC has no excuse for misrepresenting the spec of any Porsche. It is also the way a prospective buyer can check the spec.

If your 2017 has Connect+ it will have a SIM card and two SD slots under the drop down flap, I am not sure what a car with only Connect has. This SIM card is related to in car WiFi data use and streaming services used via Apple Car Play, I buy a SIM from Three that is loaded with 12Gb of data, that is valid for one year from first activation. When the data is used or after one year I swap for a new card.

Both Connect and Connect+ were paid for options, the link explains the services.

https://connect-store.porsche.com/gb/en ... macan_2018

There is a SIM card hidden in the car for the Vodafone Car Connect tracker system, the device in your post is the tracker unit that needs to be with the vehicle when its occupied and a subscription is live at all other times the fob should be stored in a secure location away from the vehicle. The Car Connect is flaky in use.

Do note Connect and Car Connect are two very different systems that were totally independent of each other.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:54 pm The Gen 1A had a different PCM unit and almost everything was a paid for extra.

Late 2015 and Gen1B came online, with a more inclusive specs.

Gen 2 came out late 2018 hence mainly from 2019 and of course Gen 3 this year.

The VIN number at an OPC can be used to look up the as delivered spec and a printout produced so an OPC has no excuse for misrepresenting the spec of any Porsche. It is also the way a prospective buyer can check the spec.

If your 2017 has Connect+ it will have a SIM card and two SD slots under the drop down flap, I am not sure what a car with only Connect has. This SIM card is related to in car WiFi data use and streaming services used via Apple Car Play, I buy a SIM from Three that is loaded with 12Gb of data, that is valid for one year from first activation. When the data is used or after one year I swap for a new card.

Both Connect and Connect+ were paid for options, the link explains the services.

https://connect-store.porsche.com/gb/en ... macan_2018

There is a SIM card hidden in the car for the Vodafone Car Connect tracker system, the device in your post is the tracker unit that needs to be with the vehicle when its occupied and a subscription is live at all other times the fob should be stored in a secure location away from the vehicle. The Car Connect is flaky in use.

Do note Connect and Car Connect are two very different systems that were totally independent of each other.
Many thanks foir that info mate, it really is appreciated and i’m beginning to understand how Porsche operate now.

There’s definitely no sim between the 2 SD Card slots, nor is there any in the glove box or centre arm rest so i obviously don’t have Connect +, but although that would have been noce to have, it’s no showstopper. My main “must haves” were SatNav and Reversing Camera, plus Memory Seats and it has all of that so i’m well pleased with the car.

I did register the car with Porsche for the Porsche Connect services but have to wait for them to complete their background checks, proof of ownership and i am who i say i am sort of thing. I do want the tracker, or i should say ”A Tracker” as although the insurance haven’t stipulated it this time, they did on my Evoque, but that was keyless start and bought directly after my brand new Audi SQ5 Plus was knicked. B*****ds broke into my home to get the keys as well. So for my own peice of mind i want something fitted and for now i’ll go with Porsche - Vodaphone and give it a try.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Pleased to help.

Not sure what Car Connect offers today but when new the free period was only for the lowest level of service but upgrades were available via subscription.

Remote, Safety and Security were the three levels offered.

Post free period Remote was about £100/year, not sure what the others cost.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags