Transfer Box

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Rab J wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:25 pm
Tom 2000 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:00 pm 50,000 miles clocked this week in 3.5 years. Twice now when pulling away with a little right lock the car has grumbled. Twice in a month. It’s not wheel skip. It seeming comes from somewhere beneath my backside. No warranty cover. Brakes due for replacement. I am due warranty work on sticky towbar but OPC Belfast don’t seem to be providing courtesy cars.
What to do?
Next service due 10,000 miles. I was going to use the OPC for that in case something came up that I could argue a contribution over. And then there are these stories about the transfer box extended manufacture warranty.
I know they will bleed me dry on the brakes but they are kinda important.
Antrim for the brakes
Yeah. I should phone them.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Botis wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:45 pm I have a four year old (21k miles) Turbo also not currently under extended Porsche warranty as recently purchased from an independent dealer.

Earlier this month I noticed a subtle knocking coming from the rear when accelerating gently in 2nd and 3rd gears. Knew what it was likely to be as my previous Macan had its transfer box replaced after the same behaviour. Took it to my local OPC and they confirmed it was indeed the transfer box and they are would organise replacement FOC.

When chatting to the service rep he confirmed that the drivetrain was under extended warranty however it was dependant on the car being properly maintained and not modified in anyway. So I would say get the brakes done at an OPC. You might pay more but you don't want to give them an excuse to not honour the warranty replacement of the transfer box
Yes that’s my quandary. I really need to get it assessed ASAP. I emailed them a while back about courtesy car for the warranty work on towbar but no reply.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Still no Courtesy Cars. They suggest I book a waiting appointment for investigation. Thinking about it whilst I see if I can produce the symptoms on demand.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Botis

Post by Botis »

Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 pm Still no Courtesy Cars. They suggest I book a waiting appointment for investigation. Thinking about it whilst I see if I can produce the symptoms on demand.
I found the knocking on mine seemed to be more pronounced once the car had been driven for a while if that helps. It was quite subtle though so need to find a smooth road surface to notice it easier,
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Botis wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 pm
Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 pm Still no Courtesy Cars. They suggest I book a waiting appointment for investigation. Thinking about it whilst I see if I can produce the symptoms on demand.
I found the knocking on mine seemed to be more pronounced once the car had been driven for a while if that helps. It was quite subtle though so need to find a smooth road surface to notice it easier,
More of a rub than a knock. Its actually hard to describe. All I know I have driven this car for three years and I aint heard it apart from twice turning right on to a main road.
The Missus said whats that noise. So I didn't imagine it.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Botis

Post by Botis »

Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 pm
Botis wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 pm
More of a rub than a knock. Its actually hard to describe. All I know I have driven this car for three years and I aint heard it apart from twice turning right on to a main road.
The Missus said whats that noise. So I didn't imagine it.
I'd take them up on the waiting appointment for investigation then, nothing to lose then at least you'll know the score. As long as car has been maintained then it will be a warranty job which will get covered by Porsche GB. They will normally have to order part in so hopefully can be tied in with loan car availability
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
coulsda2

Post by coulsda2 »

Last year I had my transfer box replaced under warranty and my Dealer explained that they had replaced many as it was a common issue with earlier models (mine is a 2017). It started out as a skipping when pulling away and turning out on to a road. It actually became very noticeable when gently accelerating on the straight. It started off by more of a feeling of a little skipping as if I was driving over random lines in the road and it soon became noticeable. The wheels skipped and when a passenger noticed it I realised it wasn't then just me being paranoid.
Hope the description helps
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

The noise in mine is like the branch of a tree has got stuck beneath the car and is dragging. Probably lasts for less than two seconds.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:35 am The noise in mine is like the branch of a tree has got stuck beneath the car and is dragging. Probably lasts for less than two seconds.
With 50k miles it maybe connected to uneven pad/disc wear, possibly some scoring and a high spot. What do the discs look like? Whichever, they need changing.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

MikeM wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 am
Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:35 am The noise in mine is like the branch of a tree has got stuck beneath the car and is dragging. Probably lasts for less than two seconds.
With 50k miles it maybe connected to uneven pad/disc wear, possibly some scoring and a high spot. What do the discs look like? Whichever, they need changing.
I have not got looking at them. The wear light appeared a couple of days ago. The noise does not seem to be coming from the corners and is not associated with brake applications. I know they could drag after application but to my mind that is not it.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)