Hesitation on pull away

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I’ve had my Macan since June last year and never had this issue. The last couple of weeks it sort of jumps as if a bad gear change, except it does not coincide with an actual gear change. It only happens when pulling away and the amount of acceleration does not seem to make a difference. I have tried in normal, Sport, Sport plus and manual with the same result.
The best way I can describe it is like a miss-fire on a petrol engine, except it’s diesel!
The car has only 16k miles and is a 66 reg, it had a new transfer box a few weeks ago and a gearbox leak repaired, I wonder if this is related, although it definitely does not coincide with the gear change, it feels like an engine issue at low revs.

Any ideas?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

The PDK gearbox will have been reset. It apparently learns your driving style....

Perhaps it just feels "different". If not - take it back to dealer.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

But how would the gearbox make the car hesitate? As I say, it does not happen at the same time as a gear change.
This has only been happening for a couple of weeks and the transfer box and gearbox work was last November.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Guy

Post by Guy »

The symptoms sound just like when my transfer box failed - perhaps they fitted a faulty one!
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Guy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:33 pm The symptoms sound just like when my transfer box failed - perhaps they fitted a faulty one!
Yes, I was wondering that. Maybe a visit to a different dealer.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Kleynie wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 pm
Guy wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:33 pm The symptoms sound just like when my transfer box failed - perhaps they fitted a faulty one!
Yes, I was wondering that. Maybe a visit to a different dealer.
If they haven't fixed the fault, or have introduced a new one, I'd go back to the same dealer!
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I still have this fault. I have booked the car into Guildford OPC again as they failed to fix it first time around. I suspect they’ll just read the codes again and say there’s nothing wrong. To be fair it doesn’t always have this fault, so even if they do drive it, it may not be apparent. It’s really frustrating.

Of late it’s only had the hesitation on light throttle, and it seems worse when cold. It is getting worse though.

I don’t think it’s the transfer box as the wheels are not skipping like they did before the transfer box change, having said that I’m running my winter wheels that are smaller (20”) and that may negate the skipping?
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Wheel size is irrelevant as the rolling radius of the combined wheel and tyre it the same regardless of wheel size. That's why the larger the wheel size the lower the tyre profile (and wider the tyre except between 20" and 21" wheels).
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

When I picked up my new to me S D a few weeks ago it was hesitant pulling away. I used some Archoil AR6400-D MAX Professional Diesel Engine treatment as I have on all my diesels, and sure enough, the hesitancy is gone. I actually think it now picks up better than my BMW 435d did. Might be worth a try.

I also use the Archoil fuel additive (Archoil AR6900-D Max) with every tank and can't recommend the stuff enough. The engine runs so quietly you can not tell it's a diesel until it runs out of revs at 5k!
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

On-Track wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:41 pm Wheel size is irrelevant as the rolling radius of the combined wheel and tyre it the same regardless of wheel size. That's why the larger the wheel size the lower the tyre profile (and wider the tyre except between 20" and 21" wheels).
Yes, I understand that, but the high side wall may mask the issue maybe, thats what I was thinking.