Transfer Box

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

Boring I know as it's been discussed to death on here.

I had no idea it needed replacing. Visited OPC today & they confirmed it does infact need swapping. I experienced wheel spin on the drivers rear when turning right & pulling away. The car would grab & buck. I presumed it was due to wet roads. Tech told me there are quite a few different symptoms to look out for, which is the reason it wasn't so evident to me. It took 5K miles of motoring for me to notice it.

So booked in for replacement
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8

MTUK

Post by MTUK »

Replaced today .... no wheel spin when pulling away on lock. Car is smoother & marginally quieter at lower speeds. Feels like a different car. I was told it's a new box with improved design
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great result. Hopefully no more issues :D :D
CMA

Post by CMA »

MTUK wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:42 pm I experienced wheel spin on the drivers rear when turning right & pulling away. The car would grab & buck. I presumed it was due to wet roads. Tech told me there are quite a few different symptoms to look out for, which is the reason it wasn't so evident to me. It took 5K miles of motoring for me to notice it.
I've noticed what seems like a small wheel slip from rear driver side on turning right and rear passenger side when turning left, like a small wheel slip then grip. Is this similar to what you experienced? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Does this get worse as the box degrades?
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

CMA wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:46 pm
MTUK wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:42 pm I experienced wheel spin on the drivers rear when turning right & pulling away. The car would grab & buck. I presumed it was due to wet roads. Tech told me there are quite a few different symptoms to look out for, which is the reason it wasn't so evident to me. It took 5K miles of motoring for me to notice it.
I've noticed what seems like a small wheel slip from rear driver side on turning right and rear passenger side when turning left, like a small wheel slip then grip. Is this similar to what you experienced? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Does this get worse as the box degrades?
I only experienced this slip when turning right. I noticed it as soon as I got the car with 5000 miles on the clock. I presumed it was a characteristic on the 4WD system... although I thought it was odd as my F Pace doesn't slip at all. I was told when going out to test the TFR box with the Porsche Tech that there are quite a few differing symptoms.

If it isn't too noticeable then you're worrying needlessly
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

MTUK wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:42 pm Boring I know as it's been discussed to death on here.

I had no idea it needed replacing. Visited OPC today & they confirmed it does infact need swapping. I experienced wheel spin on the drivers rear when turning right & pulling away. The car would grab & buck. I presumed it was due to wet roads. Tech told me there are quite a few different symptoms to look out for, which is the reason it wasn't so evident to me. It took 5K miles of motoring for me to notice it.

Did the Tech explain what the symptoms are? I fear mine is al;so affected.
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

MTUK wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:42 pm Boring I know as it's been discussed to death on here.

My MY22 Macan S does that. I just assumed it was a 4WD thing 🥺
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Derek C wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:47 am

The test is to reverse uphill on full lock, both left and right. If the box is failing you will get significant jumping, jerking, grabbing symptoms.

It is normal to get slight one wheel slip pulling away on some surfaces with steering lock applied. These are predominantly rear wheel drive cars.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nella

Post by Nella »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:02 pm
Derek C wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:47 am

The test is to reverse uphill on full lock, both left and right. If the box is failing you will get significant jumping, jerking, grabbing symptoms.

It is normal to get slight one wheel slip pulling away on some surfaces with steering lock applied. These are predominantly rear wheel drive cars.

+1
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

+2, depends how hard you hit the pedal and the amount of slip, getting a bit like the NHS and self diagnoses, ;) :o :lol: