Gearbox or Possible Transfer Box

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
mac2017

Post by mac2017 »

Hi
I have Macan S Diesel, 2017, 32k miles. The problem I have is when pulling away from stationary or low speed the car jerks as if it's going over rumble strips. This only seems to occur as I said at low speed in low gear, once on the open road everything seems fine.
I would appreciate any advice on this problem.

Many thanks

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Welcome to the forum.

The symptoms you describe are very similar to those I experienced when the transfer box failed on my Macan SD. These days there is a seven year warranty on the transfer box so it's well worth contacting your "local" OPC.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

I have a 2017 Macan SD on just 9K miles. When pulling away and turning right, when cold...... the rear drivers wheels spins.

Is there any other symptom to recognise? such as noise etc?
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

The key test is to try a slow reverse up a slope on full lock, then opposite lock. If the car ‘scrabbles’ and rocks, possibly with a few small slips on one rear wheel or the other it’s pretty likely the transfer box is on the way out. An OPC tech will confirm it or otherwise in a few minutes.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

MTUK wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:44 pm I have a 2017 Macan SD on just 9K miles. When pulling away and turning right, when cold...... the rear drivers wheels spins.

9k miles in four years? There's all sorts of things that might have rusted, dried and seized!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

Neil1911 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:58 am
MTUK wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:44 pm I have a 2017 Macan SD on just 9K miles. When pulling away and turning right, when cold...... the rear drivers wheels spins.

9k miles in four years? There's all sorts of things that might have rusted, dried and seized!
Kept in an underground car park in west London .... it's tip top
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8
rumbers

Post by rumbers »

I have exactly the same issue...

I have a 2017 Macan S with approx 30k miles. Since purchasing it, I've noticed that same intermittent (but increasingly frequent) juddering or grabbing sensation, sometimes accompanied by knocking sounds (but this is rare), when starting off - this is particularly bad when also turning left or right out of a junction. It also hesitates to engage when putting it in reverse and just feels like there's a huge lag.

I've taken it to my local Porsche mechanic (very experienced) but typically, it didn't happen on his short test drive. There are no fault codes coming up when it's plugged in. I have also turned off the auto stop/start function to make sure it's not related to the engine being 'off'. Porsche Leicester want to charge upwards of £250 for a half-hour diagnostic check (with no ceiling apparently if they can't find it in that timeframe), which seems insane. So far I haven't taken it to them, but I did however extend my warranty for another year - even though I think there is an extended 7 year transfer case replacement programme?

Obviously the worry is that it's the transfer case or something major transmission-wise. It's odd that it's definitely worse when turning left or right.

I borrowed my friend's VW Transporter van last week, and aside from the clear power difference(!), I have to say the automatic box was infinitely better and smoother, which is insane. I've been a Porsche owner for over 20 years, a 1974 911 and also a 991.1 Targa 4 (both manuals). So far very unimpressed with the apparently legendary PDK transmission. It's driving me mad!

Thanks all,

Mat
greendale

Post by greendale »

I have a 21,000 mile Macan S in the winter months when the vehicle is reversing there is the most horrible knocking from the rear off side, my local OPC tells me it’s due to the Macan having tuned suspension.
At my last service in March they loaned me an electric Taycan and this had exactly the same problem.
Anyone experienced the same problem.

Greendale
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

have to agree with neil, cars need to be used
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

greendale wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:17 pm I have a 21,000 mile Macan S in the winter months when the vehicle is reversing there is the most horrible knocking from the rear off side, my local OPC tells me it’s due to the Macan having tuned suspension.
At my last service in March they loaned me an electric Taycan and this had exactly the same problem.
Anyone experienced the same problem.

Greendale
Yours sounds more like the Ackermann effect, particularly if it happens in cold weather. In this case the hopping and scrabbling is from usually both front tyres. It is due in large part to the design of the suspension and steering, which is probably what your OPC meant, but some tyres are worse than others.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA