transder box maybe help thanks

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
jeddi

Post by jeddi »

hi all new to here and have recentley brought a macan s
and what i am wondering is when i hard turn left or right and press the throttle a little more then normal i tend to get this skipping across road
have looked threw internet and folk say acermen effect also have seen alot of problems with transfer box is there anyway to be 100 percent its acermen effect or 100 percent transfer box i sort of hope its the box because porsche will replace under warranty but i dont want to take it in and they charge me and give me the talk about its not the transfer so just wondering if theres anything i can do to make sure its eaither one or and other related issues it might be that anyone else has had before many thanks

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

What size wheels do you have ? The lower the tyre wall height (bigger diameter rim) the more likely the tyres are to skip due to Ackerman effect on fulll steering lock. It’s certainly not unknown to have this efFect , but you should also hear the same at crawling pace.
jeddi

Post by jeddi »

they are 21 inch 911 wheels but front tyres are not even 4 months old and back look pretty good its just that it never use todo this now it does and to be fair i do give it a bit of stick when using the paddle shifters
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

What year is your Macan? and what mileage?

If it's under a Porsche warranty, then worth getting your OPC to check it.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Partysausage

Post by Partysausage »

Could just be the cold weather.

Mine did the same at the weekend and I had the same ‘issue’ in my A45.

Was nothing to worry about.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Ackermann effect is at the front due to the front tyres skipping on the road surface, typically on full lock and most noticeable in cold weather. The Macan isn’t particularly susceptible to this issue.

Transfer box early signs of failure tend to felt at the rear due to intermittent ‘lockup’ in the drive train. The classic test for this issue is to reverse up a slope while turning from full lock to opposite full lock. If the transfer box is on the way out you will feel either rear wheel skipping or slipping causing the car to rock from side to side slightly.

Your local OPC should be willing to carry out the test for you free of charge, the test takes minutes to complete.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
jeddi

Post by jeddi »

its a 2016 and has a bit more then avarage miles at 92 thousand i did ring porsche centre today and booked in but from the sounds of the lady on the phone if its not down to the transfer box there would be a cost £180 pounds just to diagnostic witch sound like i would have to pay seems a bit more like
i will give them test a try i did read somewere that could pull a plug of and that tells your weather its the transfer box or not or my other idea is maybe buy some second wheels and winters tyres with maybe 19 inch rims but winter tyres do you reckon that would help
jeddi

Post by jeddi »

also what i am thinking is if theres a better transfer box made for this i wouldt mind it on ive read that the new transfer box has air vents or something to allow the oil to cool down or not get hot in the first place so my thoughts would be is there any sneakly way that i could reck the transfer box then porsche would have to replace with new version of it i no slighty risky doing like but willing to give it ago to get the new transfer box maybe drop oil out run it a bit put oil back in with the hope of not damage to anything else whats ya thoughts on that
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

jeddi wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:31 pm also what i am thinking is if theres a better transfer box made for this i wouldt mind it on ive read that the new transfer box has air vents or something to allow the oil to cool down or not get hot in the first place so my thoughts would be is there any sneakly way that i could reck the transfer box then porsche would have to replace with new version of it i no slighty risky doing like but willing to give it ago to get the new transfer box maybe drop oil out run it a bit put oil back in with the hope of not damage to anything else whats ya thoughts on that
Don't treat your OPC technicians as total idiots. A transfer box that has been run with no oil will fail in a different way to the classic transfer box failure.

My transfer box failure was obvious at low speeds even in a straight line when taking off with a light throttle. At the moment what you've posted does not rule out Ackerman effect.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

On-Track wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 am
jeddi wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:31 pm also what i am thinking is if theres a better transfer box made for this i wouldt mind it on ive read that the new transfer box has air vents or something to allow the oil to cool down or not get hot in the first place so my thoughts would be is there any sneakly way that i could reck the transfer box then porsche would have to replace with new version of it i no slighty risky doing like but willing to give it ago to get the new transfer box maybe drop oil out run it a bit put oil back in with the hope of not damage to anything else whats ya thoughts on that
Don't treat your OPC technicians as total idiots. A transfer box that has been run with no oil will fail in a different way to the classic transfer box failure.

My transfer box failure was obvious at low speeds even in a straight line when taking off with a light throttle. At the moment what you've posted does not rule out Ackerman effect.
Also consider the following given what you have just posted on a public chatroom that is almost certainly looked at by OPC staff.

The Fraud Act 2006

Fraud by false representation (Section 2)
The defendant:

• made a false representation
    dishonestly
    knowing that the representation was or might be untrue or misleading
    with intent to make a gain for himself or another, to cause loss to another or to expose another to risk of loss.