MACAN TURBO 3.6 2014 - ENGINE IS NOT WORKING

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Unal12

Post by Unal12 »

Giz9 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:19 am The second hand value of a 2014 Macan Turbo is in the region of £30-40. Yours is low mileage so let's assume £40,000.

The insurance company would repair the car if the cost of repair is 50-60% of the market value. Since the car was written off, we can assume the cost of repair was more than that. Taking the more generous 60% figure, that means the cost of repair would be most likely be above £24,000.

The insurance company will be trying to minimise its costs so the equation is probably - Repair cost vs Pay market value - resale cost. You can play with the numbers but, if the insurance company cleared £12k for selling the car, the repair cost must have been more than market value - £12k.

This assumes a repair back to Porsche-approved specs for the damaged areas. If you can repair it for less than that, you will have a bargain, albeit one that is probably not to Porsche spec.
Auction company was asking more as the reserve price was not met from the insurance company. I offered £15k whilst insurance was asking £20k
I am not sure if I still have a bargain if the repair cost is gonna go beyond 5-8k. they will inform me on Monday to finalise the sale. I am still little nervous as I don't have much experience in Porsche cars. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the engine.

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Unal12 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:02 pm
Giz9 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:19 am The second hand value of a 2014 Macan Turbo is in the region of £30-40. Yours is low mileage so let's assume £40,000.

The insurance company would repair the car if the cost of repair is 50-60% of the market value. Since the car was written off, we can assume the cost of repair was more than that. Taking the more generous 60% figure, that means the cost of repair would be most likely be above £24,000.

The insurance company will be trying to minimise its costs so the equation is probably - Repair cost vs Pay market value - resale cost. You can play with the numbers but, if the insurance company cleared £12k for selling the car, the repair cost must have been more than market value - £12k.

This assumes a repair back to Porsche-approved specs for the damaged areas. If you can repair it for less than that, you will have a bargain, albeit one that is probably not to Porsche spec.
Auction company was asking more as the reserve price was not met from the insurance company. I offered £15k whilst insurance was asking £20k
I am not sure if I still have a bargain if the repair cost is gonna go beyond 5-8k. they will inform me on Monday to finalise the sale. I am still little nervous as I don't have much experience in Porsche cars. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the engine.
Just my own opinion, your list of parts excludes the bonnet, inner and lower offside wing, maybe shadow but also looks like some damage to drivers door, plus I guess a few more pieces. If the engine did lose its oil before shutting off ( hopefully not ) and or the filter casing was ripped out during impact? that would also be a point for concern. It really depends on your competence for the body and mechanical repairs. It’s a Cat C, so unless you intend keeping it think you may struggle to turn a profit as the parts cost to complete will be a challenge. Good luck with whatever you intend to do 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

CHeck the panels underneath the headlights (that the headlight fixes to). When you get frontal damage like that with that much damage to the bonnet, the panels holding the headlights are the most forward structural part of the bodyshell so they take the impact. They are not that strong and are easily damaged.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

If you haven't done this sort of work before then a Porsche write off is an expensive way to start. In addition to the cost of the physical parts, the chassis will need a jig to check alignments and you will need PIWIS diagnostic tools to check and reset the electronics. You can hire or use an indie once you have done the basic work but it will all be a waste if you can't get it MOTd.

I think my first insurance write off would be a 10 year old Fiesta.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I can very easily see it costing £20k+ alone in repair costs.

Take a look on Autotrader where there are Turbos for sale from £31k.

I very much doubt if it will be financially viable unless you are skilled enough and have the space to do the work yourself.

I am a skilled Mechanical Engineer and would not touch it as I have rebuilt and resprayed cars before and it will probably take 4x longer than you anticipate.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

I dare say similar projects have been done before and YouTube might reveal a few salvage projects, so maybe some tips from their experiences

There are parts diagrams/part numbers available via www.realoem.com and lllparts websites if you need reference points. Porsche pet files can be found online for download or via ebay, not sure they cover Macan as it’s a few years since I bought one and that covered a lot of vehicles at the time. You may also find them at pelican parts (USA) or design911 websites.

The good news is that there are plenty of Used Macan parts, and whilst I won’t advocate used mechanical parts there’s nothing wrong with used body parts.
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

https://www.9apart.co.uk/
This mob could be of some use.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I would suggest you need to scan the car and see what fault codes it is showing.

You will need to replace the airbags and charges, and probably the seat belt pre-tensions. And sort out that loose oil filter of course!
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8