Macan Diesel S EGR faults

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Hoot12

Post by Hoot12 »

Hi, new member here after a bit of help.

We have a 2015 Macan S Diesel. Its just been in for MOT last week and has now thrown up some fault codes to do with EGR. Its a low mileage car (20K) and does very short journeys. We've had to clean out the lambda sensor a few times, but these codes are on and wont clear and is in limp mode.

Codes from my icarsoft reader:

P140100 EGR short circuit to ground
P140000 EGR electrical fault
P208E00 Injector for reducing agent. BANK 1. Stuck Closed.
P040300 EGR drive

There's also OBD2 P0403 code logged.

I suspect the EGR is clogged up. Any tips or pointers before I start pulling it apart?
Any guides to removing EGR/ inlet manifolds please?

Thanks
Darren.

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

I'm sure you don't need anyone to tell you its not the engine option for such low usage and short trips; but you have it so its a somewhat mute point.

I'd start with the Adblue injector first personally, but only because its one specific item that once operational will allow a regen to be undertaken - albeit it might need to be a forced one via software at a dealership. If you can get that far the EGR items might be of lesser concern.

I'm no expert , but i know that a lot of the JLR Ingenium diesel engines suffered with blocked Adblue injectors, which rendered the vehicles barely operable.

Wynns EGR Cleaner from Halfords might be worth a try, you don;t need to pull a whole lot apart to use it, so worth a try for less than a tenner.
Hoot12

Post by Hoot12 »

I was going to try a can of Wynns EGR cleaner first. Interesting about the Adblue injector, one of the early codes suggested this but since clearing it hasn't come back.

Thanks for your reply,
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

The adblue pipework at the rear of the engine bay is known to split, an easy spot as you'll find plenty of adblue crystalized 'snow' around the connectors once the engine cover is removed.

I'd still have a good look at the injector itself, clogging of these is common across all VAG engines, as well as other makers. Easily washed out with water, and the rest picked out of the exhaust connecting point. Youtube the fault code, plenty of entries there....

Hoot12

Post by Hoot12 »

I assume the adblue injector is at the back of the engine in the exhaust as in my photo? it’s clean, not leaking and measures 14ohm on the electrical side.

7983CEA0-4B66-4E05-8E95-1074B57F274F.jpeg

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

No external signs but worth checking it’s not clogged up internally
Hoot12

Post by Hoot12 »

Injector looks ok, and has cleaned up ok and the port is clear. EGR fault code still present.
EGR cleaner going in this afternoon.

0018C79F-2703-44E6-9B44-172204905A2A.jpeg

00A4DA31-1285-4E5E-8ABF-2998D741F95C.jpeg

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Some positive news on the diagnostics then ;)

I've seen reports of Porsche replacing the Adblue pump, lines and injectors when 'low adblue pressure' was diagnosed - seems a belt and braces approach rather than anything specific identified at fault.

Be interesting to see what the EGR cleaner achieves - good luck
Hoot12

Post by Hoot12 »

Took air inlet off the front of the turbo ready to start the EGR cleaner process, started the car and cleared the EGR fault codes (P0403). The car ran fine and the fault code didn't come back on. Went for a short drive and it ran fine, no fault codes (with the air inlet still disconnected).
So I connected the air inlet back up, started the car, EGR fault code popped back up straight away and car was in limp mode. So I took the air inlet back off, started the car and cleared the code then I got DPF codes P2002 and P2463 indicating a DPF regen is required. (The last regen was 40000 seconds ago (11 hours) ago according to my icarsoft code reader).

I ran the EGR cleaner through as per the instructions, this made no difference, as expected.

So I now have DPF soot limit codes, flashing glow plug alarm and these wont clear. Car in low power limp mode. The EGR fault code has not reappeared on the code reader but the visit workshop alarm is on the dash.

I'm reluctant to start stripping the EGR off as I dont think its clogged, the cleaner should have made some change so I'm going to be booking it in next week to throw ££ at it to get it fixed.

:(