Macan S Exhaust Drone

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

macanapb wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:15 am I have a 2019 Macan S and can confirm after testing that when starting the car on "Sport" only the right valve open. The same valve is indeed closed when starting in "Normal" mode. I don't have the PSE, so no pops and bangs...
Many thanks for this info, which is very useful for checking the position of my flap valve on start-up.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

OPC Portsmouth thoroughly checked my exhaust system today, and no faults were found, with the flap valve working correctly 👍. I must admit that the drone I first experienced shortly after I bought the car appears to have diminished, so the exhaust noise now is barely audible at motorway cruising speeds, so I’m happy 👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

AllanG wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:59 pm OPC Portsmouth thoroughly checked my exhaust system today, and no faults were found, with the flap valve working correctly 👍. I must admit that the drone I first experienced shortly after I bought the car appears to have diminished, so the exhaust noise now is barely audible at motorway cruising speeds, so I’m happy 👍
Ours was horrible to start with and got better with time
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Tracky wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:30 pmOurs was horrible to start with and got better with time
Hopefully mine will be the same 👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
gmacan

Post by gmacan »

So, Allan, from the inspection, can you say what position the flap should be in at the various stages?

E.g.
1. Cold, in Drive mode, before start-up, it's open?
2. Warm engine, in Drive mode, it's open?
3. Warm engine, in Sport, it's shut?

Thanks if so,

Graeme.
Macan S, MY16 64k mls, dechromed, PASM, BiXenons, PDLS+, heated 18way sports hardbacks, 20" SportDesign rims/PZeroNeros.
Ex:
Alfa Brera S Prodrive
Porsche 911 C4 factory-lowered(M033)
Porsche968 Sport
Audi S4 quattro Avant biturbo
325iTouring, 528SE
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Hi Graeme,

After speaking with the OPC workshop supervisor, this is my basic understanding of how the flap valve operates:-

1. Cold start, i.e. first start of the day - flap valve is closed
2. Urban & motorway driving keeping revs low - flap valve closed
3. Urban & motorway driving with increased revs - flap valve will open
4. Using the ‘Sport’ button - flap valve will be open

The valve itself is electrically operated, and gets it’s signal from an engine vacuum sensor.

Therefore, it appears that as the revs increase, the flap valve will open to improve exhaust gas flow and, hence, the exhaust sound will increase.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Allan
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
gmacan

Post by gmacan »

Many thanks, Allan.

Seems mine's kaputt, then, as I'm a new owner too but never seen it shut yet !

Fortunately, I must say, it's open at least, as it has no problem putting a spurt on when I floor it.

I'll need to do some investigating / make further enquiries, it seems, so I can get to the bottom of it...

Thanks again, Allan. Happy motoring and keep well.
Macan S, MY16 64k mls, dechromed, PASM, BiXenons, PDLS+, heated 18way sports hardbacks, 20" SportDesign rims/PZeroNeros.
Ex:
Alfa Brera S Prodrive
Porsche 911 C4 factory-lowered(M033)
Porsche968 Sport
Audi S4 quattro Avant biturbo
325iTouring, 528SE