Transfer Box replacement out of warranty

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Botis

Post by Botis »

Hi All

Just wondering what peoples experiences have been when the transfer box has failed and needs replacing when the car is not covered under a Porsche warranty.

I bought my car nearly two months ago when it had just been serviced by an OPC and given a clean bill of health. Its covered 1000 miles since then and I noticed when driving today a knocking noise coming from the mid to rear of the car when accelerating gently through 2nd and 3rd gear. Initially I thought it was just bumps from the road surface but once I found a smooth bit of tarmac it was clear that was not the case. I had the transfer box fail on my last Macan so the feeling was sadly familiar.

The car is 4 years old and has covered just under 22k miles. My plan was to get it covered under a Porsche warranty once the 3 month grace period has expired at the beginning of December. In the meantime the car should be covered by the (non OPC) dealer warranty however they are over 200 miles away so I am reluctant to head down there when I assume they will refer to their local OPC anyway. Given the circumstances I am thinking the best course of action is to get the issue officially diagnosed at my local OPC and see what costs are involved. Seeing as it is a widely documented and known issue I am hoping they will offer to replace as a goodwill gesture with minimal contribution.

Just wondering how others have fared in similar circumstances.
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD

Paul

Post by Paul »

I thought this was now covered (age dependant) by Porsche up to 5 yrs?

(Don’t have my Macan any longer so not really on my radar but I’m sure this was posted recently?)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Botis

Post by Botis »

I’ve read in the US they have formally extended the warranty on drivetrain to 7 years but nothing forthcoming about the same happening in the UK.

Car is now booked in next month for an inspection so I guess time will tell. It’s got a full Porsche service history and relatively low mileage so hoping it will be looked on favourably on a goodwill front.

Was just interested of others recent experience
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
Paul

Post by Paul »

You’re right; US only for the moment.
But there is a service action to change the fluid (foc) which seems to improve things .....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 3895

Post by Deleted User 3895 »

This service action: can I just call my OPC and ask for "one transfer box fluid change, free of charge, please"? Or is it not that simple? My car is six months out of warranty.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

The standard warranty isn't a concern here, there is a separate warranty for the transfer box.

It's 7 years from the first registration of the car and clearly shown on my 2018 vehicle documents.

One assumes they also backdated this to apply for older vehicles.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Guy

Post by Guy »

Counter Of Beans wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:17 am This service action: can I just call my OPC and ask for "one transfer box fluid change, free of charge, please"? Or is it not that simple? My car is six months out of warranty.
It shouldn't matter that it's out of warranty. However, it's a 'Service Campaign' (WLE9) and does not apply to all cars - it would be worth contacting an OPC with your VIN and asking. Mine was done at same time as MOT.
Guy

Post by Guy »

jaffacake wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:40 am One assumes they also backdated this to apply for older vehicles.
Definitely worth checking. When the US 7 year warranty was announced in July, I asked my OPC that question and their response was: We have just heard from Porsche UK regarding this and, unfortunately, the extended warranty on the transfer box will not be applicable in the UK.

But perhaps things have changed since.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

If they're referencing "Porsche UK" and not "Porsche GB" I'd question the source.

Anyway, here's a warranty from a 2018 UK Gen 1 car It's quite clear...

warranty.JPG

---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Guy

Post by Guy »

jaffacake wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:05 pm If they're referencing "Porsche UK" and not "Porsche GB" I'd question the source.
I won't bother - I've sold mine! ;)