The V6 2.9L Engine - when does it truly open up?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

To existing owners, after what mileage does the 2.9L block begin to sing, so to speak ... assume this applies to Audi's as well with the same engine.
Last edited by mueslibrown on Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

The version in the RS5, macan S and GTS are all tuned differently so don’t know if a direct comparison applies or not? I also think this is quite subjective but here’s my take on it anyway :)

I’m 1700 miles in so almost finished running the car in as per the user manual(not debates as to whether you need to etc) so I haven’t taken the car above 4K rpm yet and have generally driven in a smooth fashion not really stamping on the accelerator.

I do though feel that the engine has gradually become a little noisier(in a good way) since I picked it up, I also notice that with the cold weather the car really performs differently as it warms up. I came from a very old Vauxhall Astra which had modern car features so when you got in cold you had full power available, the macan doesn’t feel this way and can even feel a little sluggish in comfort mode whilst warming up. The response after it has warmed up is noticeably different even in comfort mode where almost all the lag has then disappeared. I would also say for those picking up their new cars my memory of driving the car home from the OPC(about 1hr drive) was that it felt sluggish, slow response and a bit tentative - I do not feel this about the car anymore so I worry if you feel this on collection day.

If you want the max noise/response then manual is the way to go where the car feels like a different beast to me(I don’t have sports chrono so I don’t know how sport+ compares).

Hope some of this is info you were after?
Conwy GTS

Post by Conwy GTS »

I’ve now covered 3700 mile in the GTS and if you really want to experience the sports part of SUV, then just stick it in Sports Plus mode and put the PDK box into manual mode.
The V6 really comes alive above 4K RPM and the gear changes are so quick and seamless.
Current :
2021 Porsche Macan GTS

Previously :
2014 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Jaguar F Type 3.0S
2016 VW Golf R
2017 Audi S4 Avant
2016 Audi S3 Sportback