Panoramic sunroof leak.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

I hope you guys get this sorted as I can only imagine how frustrating and potentially expensive it could be.

I think this has made my mind up that I’m not going to spec a sunroof on my forthcoming gts, I don’t want to have to renew the warranty in the future purely to cover this issue.
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44

bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

I don't think everyone that has the sunroof experienced a leak. There are probably many of us who happily enjoy having one.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

bbpxbbpx wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 pm I don't think everyone that has the sunroof experienced a leak. There are probably many of us who happily enjoy having one.
Totally agree.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Danwiththemacan

Post by Danwiththemacan »

Yes I totally agree!! I enjoy having one when it is not raining 😂
Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

Yes I actually agree as well but I’m in the boat of only speccing one because of the view that it’s essential come resale.
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Totally agree - I’ve had sunroofs and pano’s on every car with no issue. Even going by this forum (anecdotally) the failure/issue rate seems fairly low(?)
Compare this to the transfer box that is inevitably going to fail!
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Never had issues.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I really like sunroofs / pan roofs, for extra light and ventilation.

My only sunroof problem was years ago on an MG Metro although since it was leaking from so many places the sunroof may have been fine. :lol: :lol: Apart from leaking and rust it was a great reliable car and probably better in the snow than a Macan :D :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

Another vote for a trouble free sun-roof here
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Jmatthew

Post by Jmatthew »

I had recently purchased Macan Turbo and after parked in heavy rain the passenger side footwell carpet was sopping wet. I took to Porsche garage and they removed sunroof panels and adjusted frame, resecured plastic rubber seals, cleared front and rear water drains and enlarged discharge points. Next time parked in heavy rain the driver side pillar and footwell were both sopping wet. Similar to pictures, water dripping into footwell near the fuse box.. When I pour water in front drain holes of sunroof the water comes through fine under well arches so these are clearly not blocked.

What i do notice is the windscreen deflector is always wet after rain and there are two distinct channels at the front of the sunroof, - inner one separated from outer one. The inner one is where the wind deflector sits. This doesn’t have any obvious point to connect to allow water into the drain holes, so my suspicion is that this inner channel fills with water which then gets into the car.

I could try the silicon seal mentioned but i dont understand the design - the inner channel doesn’t have any clear means to drain water away other than to let it build up and potentially leak into the car. Also why does this inner channel fill with water in first place? Any advice welcome if this post makes sense.

Other than this very annoying problem the car is great, and love having sunroof open when I can. Just want proper solution to what seems a clear design flaw.