Panoramic sunroof leak.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

I was told that the wind deflector should remain dry. So maybe that's the direction to go. The Porsche garage should sort it out for you though as they failed in the first attempt.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD

hood69

Post by hood69 »

Jmatthew wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:00 pm I had recently purchased Macan Turbo and after parked in heavy rain the passenger side footwell carpet was sopping wet. I took to Porsche garage and they removed sunroof panels and adjusted frame, resecured plastic rubber seals, cleared front and rear water drains and enlarged discharge points. Next time parked in heavy rain the driver side pillar and footwell were both sopping wet. Similar to pictures, water dripping into footwell near the fuse box.. When I pour water in front drain holes of sunroof the water comes through fine under well arches so these are clearly not blocked.

What i do notice is the windscreen deflector is always wet after rain and there are two distinct channels at the front of the sunroof, - inner one separated from outer one. The inner one is where the wind deflector sits. This doesn’t have any obvious point to connect to allow water into the drain holes, so my suspicion is that this inner channel fills with water which then gets into the car.

I could try the silicon seal mentioned but i dont understand the design - the inner channel doesn’t have any clear means to drain water away other than to let it build up and potentially leak into the car. Also why does this inner channel fill with water in first place? Any advice welcome if this post makes sense.

Other than this very annoying problem the car is great, and love having sunroof open when I can. Just want proper solution to what seems a clear design flaw.
How old is the car?

I thought I had settled on ordering the sunroof and this brings the doubt back.
Beaverman

Post by Beaverman »

Yes likewise, I have to lock my spec down in about 4 weeks and had decided to order it but once again I’m questioning whether this is a wise move.....
Now taken delivery of Gen 2 GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMWQDY44
hopz121

Post by hopz121 »

Had a leaking roof on our 2015 Macan SD

Had a battle with Porsche UK over contribution to fix it as we were out of warranty and ended up only contributing around £1000 of our own cash to have it fixed but it was a lot of agro to get to that point. I believe the bill was triple that minimum!

Porsche Exeter did the job but it’s was very labour intensive and included removing the full interior inc carpets and headlining to find the issue! They then checked all modules as some get ruined due to the leaks apparently. In the end they changed all the seals and realigned the sunroof or something changing a few bits. They did say pipes coming off the drain holes is fairly common but this wasn’t the issue with ours!

Another thing to bear in mind is the roof drains aren’t cleared under the Porsche service scope and they actually charge additional labour to do it, clear them annually as a minimum I’d say.

The car is now being part ex’d for a non pan roof Macan as it has really put a downer on the whole experience and not something we’d like to have issues with again. It’s lovely when it works but a pain when it has leak issues!
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

hopz121 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:35 pm It’s lovely when it works but a pain when it has leak issues!
+1 for this view. I won’t be risking a sun roof on the next Macan. In the meantime a GR Yaris takes the place of the Macan. No sunroof, 5 year warranty as standard and warranty extends to a max of 10 years without charge as long as the car is serviced in the Toyota network. Tremendous!
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Rigger wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:46 pm
hopz121 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:35 pm It’s lovely when it works but a pain when it has leak issues!
+1 for this view. I won’t be risking a sun roof on the next Macan. In the meantime a GR Yaris takes the place of the Macan. No sunroof, 5 year warranty as standard and warranty extends to a max of 10 years without charge as long as the car is serviced in the Toyota network. Tremendous!
So very tempted by one of those
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
ajurquhart

Post by ajurquhart »

Jmatthew, I have exactly the same where the deflector screen section is full of water, did you ever find out how it got there ?
Regards
Alistair
Simmytt

Post by Simmytt »

My first post, hope this may help some out. My Macan pano has been leaking over the last few weeks and a google search threw up this thread. Let’s bypass the roof drains as this is easy to check and was not my problem. This is specific for wet wind deflector, water makes its way into the wind deflector channel and then leaks into the cabin down the a pillars, someone posted that the roof needs adjusting by a mm or so, but gave no further explanation of how to do this but did say it was a simple fix. Well I have adjusted my roof and after all the rain we have had lately I am happy to report all is dry, so going to put my neck on the block and say it is fixed. This is how I did it and it worked for me.
Open roof just a couple of inches.
From inside the car have a look at the sliding mechanism, just pull the rubber seal down a little and you will see 2 torx bolts , carry on looking and you will see another pair of bolts, rhs mirrors lhs, hopefully you have now located all 8 bolts. What you are trying to accomplish is moving the glass forward by a mm or so. So loosen all 8 bolts , you only need to break the bolt and then half a turn, then pull/push the roof forward then tighten the bolts, close the roof, if you have moved the roof to far forward then the roof will not close and will go into tilt mode, I think this is a safety feature, it is obvious that you have gone to far forward, just undo the bolts and adjust and try again, once you are happy that the roof is closing tightly on the front rubber seals you need to give the outside some attention, get a straight edge, I used a plastic window packer, lay it onto the roof to check the glass is level with the roof, you can adjust one corner at a time by undoing the pair of bolts and pushing up/down on the glass and then nip up the bolts, it will make more sense when you start doing the job.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Thanks Simmytt, for a good practical tutorial.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
betheball

Post by betheball »

Thanks Simmytt,
have you mentioned this to an OPC?
my car is currently in for this issue. I have sent them your advice. I hope they read it.
Turbo!