Macan V6 petrol engines with variable displacement oil pumps

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

i have just read an article online discussing the VW V6 diesel engines that have variable displacement oil pumps installed, where the experts reckon they are a ticking time bomb due to the reduced oil pressure provided at low revs and high engine loads.
apparently there is an upgrade where a replacement pressure relief valve can be installed which provides more pressure than the current software is set up to provide.
I thought this was only relevant to the TDI V6 VW engines, but on reading the article to the end, they state that the audi and therefore Porsche engines are effected as well.

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=VW+E ... &FORM=EWRE
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange

RGS

Post by RGS »

If this is a known fault, it should be covered by warranty especially if the vehicle has had oil changes at the recommended intervals. Otherwise an updated pump during a regular maintenance service F.O.C
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I don't know when this feature was introduced, bearing in mind that Porsche stopped fitting diesel engines in 2018. My 2015 SD certainly didn't have it, oil pressure was always around 40psi.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Aha, now that sounds feasable. Good information that one.
I've had a slight noise on my diesel engine for a couple of years now. When it moves off at low revs, and if it stays at low speed like in heavy traffic, there has been a very slight rattling sound coming from the engine. But when it gets above 35/40 ish the sound disappears. It's there only when its warmed up,(The oil is thinner).
I was 99% certain, it had a problem with the engine, and my analysis thought it was like a noise of a problem with the crankshaft.
When it was at the OPC a couple of years ago, for some other maintenance, I mentioned it to the staff. They had a technician accompany me, out on a test drive, but he said that it was normal. I wasn't 100% happy with the explanation, but thought it's warrantied and if it goes seriously wrong, Porsche will have to cough up for the repair/replacement.
It's going for its service next week, I will mention the posters remarks, and see what happens.
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

All,

If you read the article to the end, it mentions that Porsche petrol V6 engines will also suffer from low oil pressure issues, yes you will be covered by warranty, but after 3 years is up, you are on your own Tab.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

At my current annual mileage rate I won't reach the danger period of > 100k miles until 2044. I'll sleep easily until then.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PSNDL126
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:10 am At my current annual mileage rate I won't reach the danger period of > 100k miles until 2044. I'll sleep easily until then.
Seizing usually occurs in the range from about 100,000 to 300,000 kilometres. (60000 miles to 180000 miles) However, there were cases where the engine did not last the warranty period, seizing after just tens of thousands of kilometres
SLEEP EASY!
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange