Water Ingress

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Hi, Everyone

My step daughter has a 2016 Macan S with an intermittent water ingress problem. The car has been into our local OPC where they checked the water drainage tubes (all ok) and the sunroof rubber seal, which they said was worn and needed replacing. She authorised the OPC to do the work, but a couple of weeks later there was water dripping into the drivers footwell again (see attached link). The car has just been back to the OPC where they checked out the pano roof drains again (they were still clear) and the new roof seal (there were no problems with that either). They kept the car for a few days to try to replicate the leak, but to no avail. They've told her that it was possibly "residual water" left over from before the new roof seal was fitted :roll:, but as you can see from the video, that's a helluva lot of "residual water" pouring out there!

The problem is that the water ingress is not consistent - sometimes it happens after a rain shower, sometimes not. The car can be washed, and even left out in a full-blown storm, and there's no leak, but then occasionally, after just a moderate rain shower, the problem's back again!

I know that water ingress on cars with pano roofs is a common complaint, but the cases reported on the forums appear to result from misaligned roof cassettes, or blocked drainage tubes. Our OPC seem to have covered all these bases, but the leak still persists. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this, please?

Dolomite Silver Macan GTS Gen 2 (www.porsche-code.com/PLBT3XT5)
Rhodium Silver Macan GTS (sold)

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

May or may not be relevant, but I had a similar ingress on the 911 (passenger side). I couldn’t work it out until I noticed the window was open by just a few mm, not even down beyond the surround, so invisible to visual inspection. Closed the window properly and problem solved. 🤷‍♂️
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Has the OPC investigated the alignment of the panoramic cassette in the roof void and whether it needs adjustment?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
sacha.d

Post by sacha.d »

Does it have the original windscreen installed or has it been replaced at some point? Is there any blanking grommets in the bulkhead area which could be letting water through?
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

SAC1 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:13 pm Has the OPC investigated the alignment of the panoramic cassette in the roof void and whether it needs adjustment?
They say that everything is correctly aligned and sealed, Steve. And I would've thought that, having replaced the rubber seal, they would make sure everything was correctly set.

If it was the sunroof, would that cause water to exit at the bottom of the A pillar, or in those circumstances, does it just drip into the cabin from above?
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Jon A wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:33 pm May or may not be relevant, but I had a similar ingress on the 911 (passenger side). I couldn’t work it out until I noticed the window was open by just a few mm, not even down beyond the surround, so invisible to visual inspection. Closed the window properly and problem solved. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks, Jon

I'll make sure that's not the case :)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

JohnP wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:27 am
SAC1 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:13 pm Has the OPC investigated the alignment of the panoramic cassette in the roof void and whether it needs adjustment?
They say that everything is correctly aligned and sealed, Steve. And I would've thought that, having replaced the rubber seal, they would make sure everything was correctly set.

If it was the sunroof, would that cause water to exit at the bottom of the A pillar, or in those circumstances, does it just drip into the cabin from above?
I have never had a water leak in either of my Macans. Several on this Forum have and maybe better able to answer your question.

Good luck in resolving it.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I would park the car in such a position that the drivers side of the front right corner of the pano is lower than the other three corners.

Open the Pano and gently pour some water into the pano tray and watch if it drains away OK.

If all is OK close the pano and put the hose on the top drivers corner of front windscreen avoiding any water flow onto the pano

If all is OK then with the pano still closed put the hose onto the pano and let it flow.

Let us know what happens.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:14 pm I would park the car in such a position that the drivers side of the front right corner of the pano is lower than the other three corners.

Open the Pano and gently pour some water into the pano tray and watch if it drains away OK.

If all is OK close the pano and put the hose on the top drivers corner of front windscreen avoiding any water flow onto the pano

If all is OK then with the pano still closed put the hose onto the pano and let it flow.

Let us know what happens.
Thanks, Col. I've got the car for a couple of hours on Monday, so I'll give that a try and let you know how I get on.
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

sacha.d wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:16 am Does it have the original windscreen installed or has it been replaced at some point? Is there any blanking grommets in the bulkhead area which could be letting water through?
Not sure about the windscreen replacement, as the car was bought second hand. There's nothing in the service history about a screen replacement but that's not to say it's not been done by a windscreen company. I'll try blasting it with the pressure washer on Monday to see what happens.

As for the bulkhead blanking grommets, the water seems to be appearing above the level of the top of the bulkhead, so I've ruled that out (for now..), but many thanks for the suggestions, though.