trickle charging gen-3 GTS

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

has anyone had any experience with using a Cetek charger to trickle charge my battery, the car is garaged and used as a second vehicle, so not much miles at the moment. i have connected the charger via the 12 v socket in the centre console, under the rubber mat, it seemed to work ok, the after a few hours it did not appear to be charging at all.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange

wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

I think they stop charging when the battery is full. Otherwise it would constantly be pulling power from the socket.

Just read your post again. Why are you charging the battery through the 12v socket? Surely you need to connect it to the battery?
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

It should be fine. I use a CTEK this way with my Gen 2 GTS, although the 12v socket will power down within I think app 10mins? The method is as follows….Switch the ignition on, connect the charger, turn the charger on, check its charging and then turn off the ignition.
Re OP comment, Yes they do stop charging, Step 7 indicates fully charged and Step 8 is pulsing (last light to the right) if this is what you are seeing fine. The 12v socket is part of the electrical circuit and power can flow both ways, so absolutely fine to use it.
You could connect to the battery Positive and any earth point but not directly on the Negative battery pole by using a CTEK comfort connector, or you could use the jump start points under the bonnet using CTEK battery clamps, just got to be careful closing the bonnet. Personally the 12v socket is the simplest method. Hope this helps.
Last edited by MikeM on Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
pmg

Post by pmg »

fabmacan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:04 pm has anyone had any experience with using a Cetek charger to trickle charge my battery, the car is garaged and used as a second vehicle, so not much miles at the moment. i have connected the charger via the 12 v socket in the centre console, under the rubber mat, it seemed to work ok, the after a few hours it did not appear to be charging at all.
what lights was the CTEK showing??
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

If the battery state is low then power to/from the 12V socket cuts off after 10-15min. If that is the case then the charge needs to be started by using the terminals under the bonnet.

PMG asked you the right question. If the battery is fully charged there will be seven lights. If you leave it for a couple of days then the eighth light will come on. If the only light on the CTEK is the power available light then the charge has been interrupted, probably for the reasons I've outlined.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

I always connect Ctek via crokerdile clips in engine bay via battery connections
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

Thanks all, yes porsche have been helpful with the design of the centre console mounted 12V socket which allows you to charge the battery without having to connect to the actual terminals, my 718S had the 12 socket built into the LH side of the transmission tunnel, it worked fine, no more fiddling around with crocodile clips etc. Obviously my battery was not too low, although the car had been sitting for around one month, so pretty good.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Is use of the 12V socket documented anywhere? Don't see it in the manual.
Macan S MY 2023
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Skyway wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:10 pm Is use of the 12V socket documented anywhere? Don't see it in the manual.
It’s the standard method of connection with Porsche branded chargers.
https://tequipment-finder.porsche.com/u ... 12003DE273
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6