Unusual Humming/Propeller Noise

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Sniperob

Post by Sniperob »

I have a Macan S which I’ve had for just over a year from new but over the last couple of days it’s developed a noise that sounds like a humming or propeller like sound. The sound is coming from the middle front of the car, it can’t be heard when stationary but does change note/pitch with acceleration. I can’t help thinking I can also feel it through the accelerator pedal but that could be a trick of the mind.

Anyone else heard this sound before or have any ideas what it can be? I’m going to call the OPC on Monday to see what they say.
First Porsche ordered September 2021: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNLRZA37

Build completion 14th May. Collected 30th June. Macan S Volcano Grey

Sniperob

Post by Sniperob »

I took my car to the OPC yesterday and it turns out that the noise was coming from the front passenger side wheel bearing. To me its surprising considering the car is just over a year old
but is this actually a known issue with the Macan or maybe Porsche in general? Anyone else had this same issue with a car that's not that old?

Thankfully all covered under warranty and will be collecting tomorrow once the repair has been completed.

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I did 40k miles in my 2019 S with no such issues and don't recall seeing any similar reports on the forum in the same timescale but occasional substandard or contaminated parts can never be totally prevented.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
pmg

Post by pmg »

Sniperob wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:03 am I took my car to the OPC yesterday and it turns out that the noise was coming from the front passenger side wheel bearing. To me its surprising considering the car is just over a year old
but is this actually a known issue with the Macan or maybe Porsche in general? Anyone else had this same issue with a car that's not that old?

Thankfully all covered under warranty and will be collecting tomorrow once the repair has been completed.
The Covid disruption to supply chains with suppliers being changed at short notice and probable less testing, may mean issues emerge on late 2020 and 2021 cars that are not typical of other year's builds
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Sniperob

Post by Sniperob »

pmg wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:16 pm
Sniperob wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:03 am I took my car to the OPC yesterday and it turns out that the noise was coming from the front passenger side wheel bearing. To me its surprising considering the car is just over a year old

The Covid disruption to supply chains with suppliers being changed at short notice and probable less testing, may mean issues emerge on late 2020 and 2021 cars that are not typical of other year's builds
I was thinking the same thing. Thankfully a wheel bearing isn't a massive issue so I'm not that bothered.

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Apparently there are 5,000 Discoveries off the road waiting for replacement turbos due to a change in supplier. My daughter's fiance's is one of them, been waiting 12 weeks now and he works for JLR :roll:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:14 pm Apparently there are 5,000 Discoveries off the road waiting for replacement turbos due to a change in supplier. My daughter's fiance's is one of them, been waiting 12 weeks now and he works for JLR :roll:
Yes, it seems just about everything JLR is on back order at the moment. Don't know what their supply chain people have been up to, probably WFH?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^
Work from home
or
Wanna have fun

???? :roll: :lol: :?