Moll Battery

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

bobajob wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:58 pm Wow, what a thread. The OP asks a question about a replacement battery and ends up getting judged for how he bought the car!

Anyway back to the original question, has anyone managed to replace a code a battery without paying OPC prices? I suspect that as our cars get older this will become a regular question.
Thank you. I have an Indy who can code, I even have VCDS (Vag Com) which may or may not work, what I begrudge is paying £630 and throwing away a perfectly good battery.
I have done some Googling today and got nowhere. However, my Indy has a TPS account, so he may be able to purchase it.

Someone must have been in this situation before?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

bobajob

Post by bobajob »

I did a bit of googling on this a while ago and from what i remember the issues is sourcing a battery with the appropriate code label / sticker. Once you have this ether are an number of OBD tools that can program the battery.

Good luck and congratulations on getting the car you wanted at a decent price.with enough left in the pot to sort any issue and still be quids in. I'll be interested to hear how you get on. My car is now 5 years old so may need a battery at some point.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Kleynie wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:10 pm
bobajob wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:58 pm Wow, what a thread. The OP asks a question about a replacement battery and ends up getting judged for how he bought the car!

Anyway back to the original question, has anyone managed to replace a code a battery without paying OPC prices? I suspect that as our cars get older this will become a regular question.
Thank you. I have an Indy who can code, I even have VCDS (Vag Com) which may or may not work, what I begrudge is paying £630 and throwing away a perfectly good battery.
I have done some Googling today and got nowhere. However, my Indy has a TPS account, so he may be able to purchase it.

Someone must have been in this situation before?
I would get a willing co-owner to lend me a battery for the purpose of the inspection. But there again I will always self insure anyway.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

bobajob wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:20 pm I did a bit of googling on this a while ago and from what i remember the issues is sourcing a battery with the appropriate code label / sticker. Once you have this ether are an number of OBD tools that can program the battery.

Good luck and congratulations on getting the car you wanted at a decent price.with enough left in the pot to sort any issue and still be quids in. I'll be interested to hear how you get on. My car is now 5 years old so may need a battery at some point.
That’s correct, the coding requires the serial number, that’s part of the issue. I think I could code it with VCDS, but getting the correct Moll battery/serial number is the issue.
Thanks for the positive comments, I’ll keep you posted.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

F0C5DE69-C007-4404-AF12-312996E36020.jpeg

I forgot that I got a quote for a battery before from my opc
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

28F1FC9F-AF28-49DC-9E93-14DB23722768.jpeg

Bit more info, this was before I got the further discount above.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Just had a response from Moll saying they are not allowed to advise on retailers for the batteries, sounds like a closed shop!

So, I phoned the OPC and got them to discount the battery and fitting to a total of £490, still too much but better than £630 they initially quoted.
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Well that's an improvement and at least you'll know it's correctly programmed etc.

This is going to become more of an issue as these cars get older
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:57 pm I have a non OEM battery in my GTS as I believe Cazoo changed it before I bought it in November. I had the 111 point check and they said I need to change the battery before they’ll give me warranty and quoted £630!
Just been on the Cazoo site and they state (my italics)

"If you need any repair work carried out, we have a national network of Service Centres that you can visit. We offer a hassle-free service and all of the parts we use are manufacturer approved."

So you may have recourse back to them to change the battery to Porsche approved
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:03 pm
Kleynie wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:57 pm I have a non OEM battery in my GTS as I believe Cazoo changed it before I bought it in November. I had the 111 point check and they said I need to change the battery before they’ll give me warranty and quoted £630!
Just been on the Cazoo site and they state (my italics)

"If you need any repair work carried out, we have a national network of Service Centres that you can visit. We offer a hassle-free service and all of the parts we use are manufacturer approved."

So you may have recourse back to them to change the battery to Porsche approved
Worth a try, thank you