Roof drains (again)

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Jon A wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:46 pm
Percymon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:33 pm That’s probably the best Macan drain video, albeit it doesn’t reference the front corner drains in the pano roof aperture.

There’s also a Porsche Club Maerica tech talk on YouTube that deals with issues on Macan, cayenne etc. it’s rather length live tech chat video but easy to skip through for relevant items.
So am I right in thinking that if the sunroof seals are good and you don’t open the roof in the rain, there will be no water to drain??
I’m just not clear on what water is being drained here…
No, they are not designed to seal. However, they should only let a small amount of water.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

StonesYard

Post by StonesYard »

Mabmaot wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:12 pm Keep meaning to check this. Have applied for the Facebook group but whilst it's pending I found this:

This is a great video showing how simple it is to clear the rears, which appear to be the main issue, and I will be testing and clearing at the weekend prior to its first 2 year service so I don't get into a potential charge of £460 for the OPC to clear them!
Chris

Macan GTS in Carmine Red (on order)
Macan GTS (MY20) in Volcano Grey with plenty of “smiles per mile”
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Percymon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:33 pm That’s probably the best Macan drain video, albeit it doesn’t reference the front corner drains in the pano roof aperture.

There’s also a Porsche Club America tech talk on YouTube that deals with issues on Macan, cayenne etc. it’s rather length live tech chat video but easy to skip through for relevant items.
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

Jon A wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:46 pm

There’s also a Porsche Club Maerica tech talk on YouTube that deals with issues on Macan, cayenne etc. it’s rather length live tech chat video but easy to skip through for relevant items.
So am I right in thinking that if the sunroof seals are good and you don’t open the roof in the rain, there will be no water to drain??
I’m just not clear on what water is being drained here…
The seal isn't watertight .... 'if' water penetrates the seal then the water will trail along the gully of the roof and run out of the drains. X2 at the front & X2 two at the rear. If you lay on the ground you can get your hand up into the wheel arch & see/feel the rear pipes. These can sometimes be cleared by shoving something in to remove debris. Some cut the ends off which seems to help
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8
pmg

Post by pmg »

Apparently, Macan's are not the only Porsche with a blocked sunroof drain issue. A long discussion amongst 911 owners has erupted this weekend on the PCGB Southern region owners Whats App group/

recommendations include https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Camel+Pack ... _sb_noss_1

and trombone bushes https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Creation-T ... C59&sr=8-1

They have a greater problem in the water collects under the seats where an ecu is placed which then fuses
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

great video above on YouTube, good deal for Porsche dealers must be making £000s per hour for cleaning drain ducts.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

pmg wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:41 pm Apparently, Macan's are not the only Porsche with a blocked sunroof drain issue. A long discussion amongst 911 owners has erupted this weekend on the PCGB Southern region owners Whats App group/

recommendations include https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Camel+Pack ... _sb_noss_1

and trombone bushes https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Creation-T ... C59&sr=8-1

They have a greater problem in the water collects under the seats where an ecu is placed which then fuses
Given that the sunroof drains at the front corners on the Macan are only about 6-7mm diameter the trombone brush is no use for us. This is a possible solution, but not even sure i'd want to try this..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003420503960.html

If i felt the need todo anything then a length of strimmer plastic line with the end melted to give a smooth round end would be as much as i'd risk pushing down the actual tubes.
james718gts

Post by james718gts »

This is a useful product

Flexible Feeding Tube Cleaning Brush Slim Drain Hole Cleaning Tool Hose Pipe Cleaning Brush
Current: Macan S (PPHWIVP8) and 997.1 C2S
Deposit: M3 Touring, 992.2 Carrera T
Sold: 718 GTS4.0, 987.1 B, 987.2 S C, 718 C, 718 S C, MX-5 RF D
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.