Dipped Beam Light Bulb replacement

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Babacan

Post by Babacan »

Hi everyone,
I have a 2016 Macan S Diesel with halogen light bulbs. When I bought the car there were not many on the market with the spec I wanted, and the lack of bi-zenon lights was my only compromise on this model and spec.
6months into ownership I had to replace the dipped Beam Light bulb in the left headlight, so I took it to Halfords (as I was driving at night and my local Porsche dealer had a two week waiting list). As I had always disliked how orange the lights were, I asked Halfords to replace both lights with whiter bulbs. Since doing so, I've had to replace the same lightbulbs twice (in around 8k miles). This seems like a relatively short time to have to replace the bulbs.

So my questions to anyone out there who may have come across this sort of this before...

Am I better just replacing with the original light bulb intended by Porsche?

Or is there in fact a better, brighter, whiter alternative that isn't from Halfords?

Or perhaps what I don't want to hear, is this suggesting a different issue to do with wiring/power surges/other that needs to be looked at?

Many thanks for reading.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I have no idea.....but a certified Auto Electrician can and will advise / replace the bulbs for long[er] life ones. :idea:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

In your position I’d be tempted to try these - https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-le ... =led_bulbs

Are you prepared to fit them yourself?

Don’t know if anyone here has tried these and could comment.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Some of the uprated halogen bulbs have a bad reputation for longevity, albeit some of the that goes back 10+ years - Osram Nightbreakers used to be poor for longevity but very good for light output. Philips weren't far behind on the light output but generally were better for lifespan. No idea who makes the Halfordss branded bulbs, but they used to offer several options of increased brightness; not a huge amount to choose between them in output in reality but the claimed 150%+ units will be lower life.

If you go down the LED bulb route then check they are road legal (potential MOT fail, or a stop by the police).

There are plenty of videos on youtube of swapping headlight bulbs/conversions