Year 2 Inspection Service Costs

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Seventy Seven wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:17 am I have been using South London since it opened for my 911 and now Macan as well. Previously used Tonbridge, but SL is much closer for me.

Always check prices between Tonbridge, SL and East London. SL always cheaper and great service. Even for my 12 year major service plus other bits(!) on my 911, SL were cheapest last year; and only £150 more than Indi.

So, Macan is due 2nd service (main), plus BF and apparently ‘recommended’ drain clear. These are the quotes I got:

1. SL - £808!
2. EL - 710…
3. Tonbridge - £685…

I called SL and simply asked what was going on, especially given the above history. One of their senior guys then spoke to me and said he would review. 10 mins later got a call to say they will do all items for £575!! Job done, but…..

Go figure.

Great result! Did you not ask him where he magically ‘found’ the £233 to knock off their original estimate?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

It’s just wrong isn’t it !!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Tracky wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:43 am It’s just wrong isn’t it !!
Totally agree....we shouldn’t have to be ‘bargaining’ with OPCs to get a better service deal!!
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
macanese

Post by macanese »

These issues with service cost inflation and variability of costs quoted leads me to believe each opc needs to be questioned about costs quoted, what is involved with a detailed breakdown of parts and labour before commiting to the work. It is your money so they should supply this before you commit to work. This is normal business practice. Recently was talking to a fellow customer about her early oil change on new macan. She was puzzled by the need for it and did not know how much it was going to cost. She is going to get a surprise as I was quoted £442 from the same dealer which is outrageous. Porsche rely on this misplaced trust to exploit customers and charge what they think they can get away with. It is up to the customer to get the opc to be more professional in their quotation process and justify the costs to the customer.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

macanese wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:36 am These issues with service cost inflation and variability of costs quoted leads me to believe each opc needs to be questioned about costs quoted, what is involved with a detailed breakdown of parts and labour before commiting to the work. It is your money so they should supply this before you commit to work. This is normal business practice. Recently was talking to a fellow customer about her early oil change on new macan. She was puzzled by the need for it and did not know how much it was going to cost. She is going to get a surprise as I was quoted £442 from the same dealer which is outrageous. Porsche rely on this misplaced trust to exploit customers and charge what they think they can get away with. It is up to the customer to get the opc to be more professional in their quotation process and justify the costs to the customer.
Present them with an indy quote and they will reduce their own estimate, in my experience.
Simon

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

macanese wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:36 am These issues with service cost inflation and variability of costs quoted leads me to believe each opc needs to be questioned about costs quoted, what is involved with a detailed breakdown of parts and labour before commiting to the work.

Recently was talking to a fellow customer about her early oil change on new macan. She was puzzled by the need for it and did not know how much it was going to cost. She is going to get a surprise as I was quoted £442 from the same dealer which is outrageous.
My Macan had an oil change at Bournemouth OPC back in Dec 2020, costs were..

Labour £154.77
Oil £72.00
Oil filter £17.26
sealing plug £2.86
sealing ring £0.61

Total £247.60

plus vat >>>>>> £297.00 final bill

So with the VAT its ca £185 labour, for a job that takes less than an hour, and the tech will be working on another vehicle while the oil is draining.
EDZ

Post by EDZ »

I shuffled between two OPC's for service work on my last Macan, as they seem to charge different prices for different things. Its a shame that Porsche GB don't print a service charge schedule as do other manufactures, it appears they all play the same game when it comes to buying a new car but not for service work.
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

[/quote]

Great result! Did you not ask him where he magically ‘found’ the £233 to knock off their original estimate?
[/quote]

No; put it down to them realising that they didn’t want to lose my business. I will raise it when there - as you all say; not right!

Just want good customer service, honesty, transparency and simple/realistic pricing. That provides value for money; and achieves loyal customers…..
Current:
997.2 C2S, Meteor Grey, PDK (with paddles), PSE, Sports Chrono, etc.... (2009)
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ It’s the ‘value for money’ bit that might be the most contentious! ;)

As I’ve said before, an OPC must be an eye wateringly expensive business to run, but these huge differences in quotes for servicing are certainly frustrating. 😣
Simon

gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

Agree the dealerships must be expensive to run, but surly they make the real money on car sales?