Anyone replaced their bi-xenon headlight bulbs ?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Thanks for the update on your exercise of updating these bulbs. If not perceptibly brighter at least you can be confident you have the best light output available for the xenon setup. Useful too for others who may wish to go the same route.

I assume the reflectors are in clean, as new, condition? I know some older bulbs could emit some black contaminants onto the reflecting surfaces which would significantly affect brightness and range.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:00 pm Thanks for the update on your exercise of updating these bulbs. If not perceptibly brighter at least you can be confident you have the best light output available for the xenon setup. Useful too for others who may wish to go the same route.

I assume the reflectors are in clean, as new, condition? I know some older bulbs could emit some black contaminants onto the reflecting surfaces which would significantly affect brightness and range.
Very valid point about the reflector housings, as i have seen reports of misted reflectors in older vehicles. Mine are squeaky clean. Other than trying to fit 2014 Mini Countrman bixenon headlight units under a Macan bonnet I've gone about as far as i can go; I will have to accept these are far from the best bixenon headlights out there.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

So a few weeks after fitting them i had the opportunity to repeat a journey from a few months go (Padstow to S.Wales), a good mix of single and dual carriageway A38 and then a long spell on the motorways M5/M4. On both occasions the weather was dry and journey conducted in late evening (so properly dark :D ). These are low resolution screen grabs from the dash cam, so not the best quality, but do give an idea of the light levels. No filtering or image processing bar cropping to take the the reg plate and dashcam info off the bottom of the screen...

A38 single carriageway, following a new Audi Q5 with matrix lights (and a driver who felt the need to slow down for every oncoming vehicle)..

A38 dual carriageway, used this one as you can still see the headlight pattern despite the nearside road illumination..

Another one from the A38 dual carriageway sections, this time passing a 19 plate Ford Transit - can see his beam pattern and mine (i'm about 2m further back from the transit headlights at this point)..

And one from the motorway sections..

All the above on dipped beam, and i'd say pretty representative of how my eyes saw things too.

After probably over ten hours burn time, the new bulbs are certainly working very well - happy i swapped them out.

Just hope they are as good in heavy rain, where the old bulbs were lethal.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

And one hi res version, almost the same spot as the last low res photo in post above

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Really good result by the look of these, although we don’t have ‘before’ images for comparison. But obviously you’re pleased with the result, which is what matters.

You’ve got me thinking about our 12 year old Yeti’s bi xenons now!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:54 pm Really good result by the look of these, although we don’t have ‘before’ images for comparison. But obviously you’re pleased with the result, which is what matters.

You’ve got me thinking about our 12 year old Yeti’s bi xenons now!
The before photos wouldn’t have helped much, the dash cam certainly enhanced what light was there beforehand ; so much so that oncoming car headlights would white out the image. Im just happy to have half decent lighting now, I made far quicker progress on the twisty single carriageway sections than I did last time ;). Bar the moving roadblock of the Q5!
chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 »

Percy, going on 8 months now and back into dark days, are you still happy with the new bulbs?
2017 Macan S Diesel. White.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

So far so good.

Certainly in drier conditions they have been noticeably better

I've experienced some awful commuting weather this week, the improvement in such conditions i would say is minimal.

Put into context that replacing the factory bulbs, like for like, due to age/drop off would only have been £40 or so saving i'd say its well worth spending that bit extra. Some might like a blue/white light which is also an option dependent upon your preference, I stuck with something more 'natural' in tone. Given the number of bright white leds and pixel lights these days i dont think they would look out of place.

However I would state i've never been that impressed with the headlights anyway - for a high performance car from a premum brand, with the factory optional headlight upgrade, they should be better imo. I cvertainly had better headlights on a 2013 mini with xenons.
chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 »

Thank Percy
2017 Macan S Diesel. White.