Strange Noise - Gen 3 Macan

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

Hi guys

Picked up my new car on Friday, however, when I turn the steering hard to the left when reversing (actually even when stationary trying this) there is a clunking noise. Anyone experienced this? Doesnt happen when you turn right.

Called the OPC today and he was trying to suggest that it may be the ackermann effect??..... That's bullshit as it's nothing even remotely similar as the wheels are not skipping, just a horrible noise from the steering on the left side.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Picked up some debris maybe? Otherwise I’d get it checked at the OPC. Suggest you take a tech out to demonstrate.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Ackermann phenomenon is normally associated with cold weather. Had it bad on my Mercedes and OPC ended up changing tyres under guidance from Merc HQ. But if it was the dredded Ack then others would also experience. Wait and see how other Forum users respond to see.
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Doesn’t sound right. Get it looked at asap
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:55 pm Picked up some debris maybe? Otherwise I’d get it checked at the OPC. Suggest you take a tech out to demonstrate.
Not sure Nick - Have booked it in with the OPC on Thursday. Back in the old days, I would say it sounds like a spring spinning on the suspension strut.

Cheers
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

Madelvic wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:13 pm Doesn’t sound right. Get it looked at asap
Booked in Madelvic on Thursday AM. Will update after the visit. :cry:
Deleted User 611

Post by Deleted User 611 »

MacanSman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:39 pm Hi guys

Picked up my new car on Friday, however, when I turn the steering hard to the left when reversing (actually even when stationary trying this) there is a clunking noise. Anyone experienced this? Doesnt happen when you turn right.

Called the OPC today and he was trying to suggest that it may be the ackermann effect??..... That's bullshit as it's nothing even remotely similar as the wheels are not skipping, just a horrible noise from the steering on the left side.
I have had exactly the same experience on my Gen 3 S last week. Will be interested what your OPC says. I will be calling mine this week to arrange for them to check it out.
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

Jonnyw wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:31 am
MacanSman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:39 pm Hi guys

Picked up my new car on Friday, however, when I turn the steering hard to the left when reversing (actually even when stationary trying this) there is a clunking noise. Anyone experienced this? Doesn't happen when you turn right.

I have had exactly the same experience on my Gen 3 S last week. Will be interested what your OPC says. I will be calling mine this week to arrange for them to check it out.
I took it in last week and the technician put it on the ramps to have a look at it. He then brought it back to me 30 mins later to ask me to demonstrate the issue and I couldn't for the life of me replicate it, no matter what I did. It hasn't done it since either but he did say if it does it again, he would come down to my house to have another listen. Be interesting to see what your OPC says.....