Oil consumption 2019 Macan S

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I bought my previously loved Macan S in April and for one reason or another have only added 3000 miles to it. I was assured it had been serviced before I picked it up, but, as we know, there is no way of checking the state of the oil short of cracking the drain plug. So I was surprised when the 'Add a litre of very expensive Mobil 1' oil warning light came on. I haven't driven hard, well not more than a couple of times just to test it as you would, so I was curious if this was normal for this model. The Stealers were vague about it. Has anyone else had this issue or is it normal?
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

Would check the garage floor and if dry take the service info with a big question mark, i used 0.75 lts per 20k in the first 20k from new, now i have 54000 miles and use less than 0.5 lts per 20k
pmg

Post by pmg »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:01 am I bought my previously loved Macan S in April and for one reason or another have only added 3000 miles to it. I was assured it had been serviced before I picked it up, but, as we know, there is no way of checking the state of the oil short of cracking the drain plug. So I was surprised when the 'Add a litre of very expensive Mobil 1' oil warning light came on. I haven't driven hard, well not more than a couple of times just to test it as you would, so I was curious if this was normal for this model. The Stealers were vague about it. Has anyone else had this issue or is it normal?
I am assuming from the colour of car you have a Gen2 S. You do not state total mileage and timings of services from the service book.

My 2019 Gen 2 S needed 1 litre after 9000 miles. It was serviced with an oil change at 14000. It requested another one litre at 17000 after 3000 miles and that was done. In the service, they had filled with 0w20 oil the current most recent recommendation whereas when car was built and stickered the recommendation was 0w 30. Since the second top-up, I have done a further 5000 miles without a one-litre request and oil level measurement showing still full and no were near a trigger. 0 w20 is thinner and hence may increase consumption?

Garage floor dry and next time the car does in for oil change I will be looking at oil level in MFD before I drive away or when I get home for reliable measurement.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

not sure thicker oil is good, as the oil ways inside the engine can be very small and will easy block with contaminated thick oil.
DiverNick

Post by DiverNick »

pmg wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:05 am
Cheshire Cat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:01 am I bought my previously loved Macan S in April and for one reason or another have only added 3000 miles to it. I was assured it had been serviced before I picked it up, but, as we know, there is no way of checking the state of the oil short of cracking the drain plug. So I was surprised when the 'Add a litre of very expensive Mobil 1' oil warning light came on. I haven't driven hard, well not more than a couple of times just to test it as you would, so I was curious if this was normal for this model. The Stealers were vague about it. Has anyone else had this issue or is it normal?
I am assuming from the colour of car you have a Gen2 S. You do not state total mileage and timings of services from the service book.

My 2019 Gen 2 S needed 1 litre after 9000 miles. It was serviced with an oil change at 14000. It requested another one litre at 17000 after 3000 miles and that was done. In the service, they had filled with 0w20 oil the current most recent recommendation whereas when car was built and stickered the recommendation was 0w 30. Since the second top-up, I have done a further 5000 miles without a one-litre request and oil level measurement showing still full and no were near a trigger. 0 w20 is thinner and hence may increase consumption?

Garage floor dry and next time the car does in for oil change I will be looking at oil level in MFD before I drive away or when I get home for reliable measurement.
My May 2019 Gen 2 S has done only 14,500 since new. I had the "oil service required" message way before the 2 year service at around 5600 = July 2020 and when it went in for the 2 year service I was told that Porsche policy had changed and it did not require the oil to be changed again - good news given the price of the oil service was £375.
However when I checked the level on the MFD last weekend it was OK, but looked a bit low. I had a call from my wife yesterday (whose on a girls trip to York) that it needed the oil topping-up before the trip back to Milton Keynes today.
No signs of any leaks at any time!!
Wilkins91

Post by Wilkins91 »

Not sure if this is the same engine as the GEN1 GTS but you'll struggle to see oil spotting beneath the car due to the engine tray.

I've just parted ways with my GEN1 GTS as Porsche picked up a small/ medium (they called it major but it was at best a slight leak) leak from the timing case. Apparently it is fairly common, but about 9k including labour to sort. I'd bought it recently from HR Owen so they simply refunded my money.

This leak never showed underneath my Macan and didn't show as oil level being low/ low pressure on any electrical system.

Cheers
pmg

Post by pmg »

DiverNick wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 am
pmg wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:05 am

My May 2019 Gen 2 S has done only 14,500 since new. I had the "oil service required" message way before the 2 year service at around 5600 = July 2020 and when it went in for the 2 year service I was told that Porsche policy had changed and it did not require the oil to be changed again - good news given the price of the oil service was £375.
However when I checked the level on the MFD last weekend it was OK, but looked a bit low. I had a call from my wife yesterday (whose on a girls trip to York) that it needed the oil topping-up before the trip back to Milton Keynes today.
No signs of any leaks at any time!!
So that's about 9k after service consistent with my 1st gap and I think others reported here in the past
DiverNick

Post by DiverNick »

Don't know if the type of journey is a factor. My initial 5600 was a 50/50mix of short local stop, start driving but since then it's mostly A roads and motorway trips (tend to do all the local driving in wife's 225XE).
pmg

Post by pmg »

DiverNick wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:18 pm Don't know if the type of journey is a factor. My initial 5600 was a 50/50mix of short local stop, start driving but since then it's mostly A roads and motorway trips (tend to do all the local driving in wife's 225XE).
Yes that would explain the sensor saying service necessary due to contamination but that is different to triggering a between service one litre top-up due to level
DiverNick

Post by DiverNick »

pmg wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:22 pm
DiverNick wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:18 pm Don't know if the type of journey is a factor. My initial 5600 was a 50/50mix of short local stop, start driving but since then it's mostly A roads and motorway trips (tend to do all the local driving in wife's 225XE).
Yes that would explain the sensor saying service necessary due to contamination but that is different to triggering a between service one litre top-up due to level
I'll just have to keep an eye on the level - looks like 9K could be just a regular usage for this MY.