I like things plain and simple , hence the Macan.

The place to discuss everything else..
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:08 pm
Scooby_Doo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:00 pm Why would I want to sit behind the wheel of something that looks like a christmas tree ? New MB "E" Class.
095-mercedes-benz-e-class-review-ambient-lighting.jpg
Possibly to pander to the huge China and USA markets tastes. :oops:
Like it or not this is what 90% of car buyers now want which is why all new model Porsches are gonna get it. Don’t expect to see any ‘real dials’ in a 911 5 years from now 😉

The UK and Europe are no different.
Macan S MY 2023

Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Skyway wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:01 pm Its great on any Merc.

The brighter the better.

Anything to disguise the cheap and nasty materials that there are inside a Merc.

PIMPMOBILE wannabe, or may already be.
My Porsche interior is definitely no better than my Merc. Is your comment based upon ownership or just because you don’t believe anything can be as good as a Porsche?
My 2013 & 2016 E class coupes were not quite up to Porsche quality but my 2018 top of the range C class saloon was covered in plastic and had faux leather seats. I appreciate that extended leather in the Macan is an extra, but it gets rid of most of the plastic interior which has no place in a £60k - £80k car.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The brighter the better.

Anything to disguise the cheap and nasty materials that there are inside a Merc.

My Porsche interior is definitely no better than my Merc. Is your comment based upon ownership or just because you don’t believe anything can be as good as a Porsche?
Visiting dealers, and having a Merc loaner a few times.

All rubbish inside, in one model I pulled what I thought was a cubby hole lid only for half the dash to come away.

Would never buy any Merc.

Porsche are not perfect, but currently best overall for my needs.

Problem will be when I need something smaller.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:37 pm

The brighter the better.

My 2013 & 2016 E class coupes were not quite up to Porsche quality but my 2018 top of the range C class saloon was covered in plastic and had faux leather seats. I appreciate that extended leather in the Macan is an extra, but it gets rid of most of the plastic interior which has no place in a £60k - £80k car.
I had a 2016 E coupe in “gentian” blue and cognac interior - it was superb actually and I really liked that car 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
IPKnightly2

Post by IPKnightly2 »

The brighter the better.

+1
It’s not often I agree with Col!😀
2023 Macan S
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

IPKnightly2 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:08 am

The brighter the better.

+1
It’s not often I agree with Col!😀
And how many Mercs have you owned? None of the ones I've had have had squeaky centre consoles (often reported here) or bonnets that haven't aligned (often reported here) , or leaking sunroofs or leaking windscreen washers. ;)
Macan S MY 2023
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Agree Skyway. Had five Mercs and all were reliable and well assembled. My last, an E-class Coupe, was a pleasure to own and run.

2014-05-01 new E250 AMG Sport Coupe 005.JPG

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Jon A wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:02 am
Scooby_Doo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:37 pm

I had a 2016 E coupe in “gentian” blue and cognac interior - it was superb actually and I really liked that car 👍
Mine was white/Black , runout "edition " 2016. I waited three months for delivery and had it for 6 days before a Luton van rear ended me causing £6000.00 of damage. There was a crossmember behind the bumper , where the "V" is, which was nearly snapped in half , the car took the hit really well and the adaptive headrests did their job excellently, no whiplash whatsoever.

IMG_1158A.jpg

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Moriarty wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:33 pm It’s not to my taste either. But the strangest thing to me is Merc’s approach to engines. All the years when diesel was massive in the UK they didn’t offer one. Now that diesel is completely out of fashion it’s all they offer, and petrol is only for the base variant. It’s like they are always a decade behind the market here - but I’m sure they must make high powered petrol engines for other markets (and I’m sure they used to make diesels for other markets when the UK wanted them).
I don't know how far back you have to go to reach a time when Mercedes didn't offer a diesel in the UK. Certainly into the last century. My first Merc was an E320CDI (2004) which I bought new because it out performed the E320 petrol version. Superb car that I kept for over five years and 70k miles. Then my brother kept it for another five years and 30k miles. The interior always looked good. It had the Airmatic air suspension option (rare on an E Class) which only started to give trouble when the car was around 10 years old. Best tankful fuel consumption was 43.5mpg and worst was 32.6. The car was one of the last without emissions control equipment.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

Moriarty wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:33 pm It’s not to my taste either. But the strangest thing to me is Merc’s approach to engines. All the years when diesel was massive in the UK they didn’t offer one. Now that diesel is completely out of fashion it’s all they offer, and petrol is only for the base variant. It’s like they are always a decade behind the market here - but I’m sure they must make high powered petrol engines for other markets (and I’m sure they used to make diesels for other markets when the UK wanted them).

Aren’t most of their diesels Renault engines?
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)