I like things plain and simple , hence the Macan.

The place to discuss everything else..
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:00 pm Why would I want to sit behind the wheel of something that looks like a christmas tree ? New MB "E" Class.
095-mercedes-benz-e-class-review-ambient-lighting.jpg
I'm not keen on all these internal lights either. It just seams a gimmick to appeal to the Ipad generation. Just like the infotainment systems.

It must be off-putting while driving around at night.

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Edit to my below. That's not an CLE Coupe in Scooby Doo's initial post, sorry!
Still, the new CLE copupe looks great. :lol:

====

Oh, that's the new CLE Coupe, isn't it! 8-)
Merc decided to combine the C class and E class coupes into the new CLE.
CLE looks gorgeous on the outside to my eyes, I have actually already specced a CLE 450 4MATIC AMG Line Premium Coupé on the Merc configurator. :lol:
They are too big though, longer than an Audi A5 or BMW 4 series.

The 450 4Matic versions have a 3 litre (or 2.999) 6 cylinder engine with a little leccy motor, jsut over 380 BHP, I believe.

If it were a bit smaller, I would have seriously considered it. Porsche do not offer such type of car, sadly.

iris.webp

Last edited by Semerka on Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Woodhouse wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:05 am
Moriarty wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:33 pm It’s not to my taste either. But the strangest thing to me is Merc’s approach to engines. All the years when diesel was massive in the UK they didn’t offer one. Now that diesel is completely out of fashion it’s all they offer, and petrol is only for the base variant. It’s like they are always a decade behind the market here - but I’m sure they must make high powered petrol engines for other markets (and I’m sure they used to make diesels for other markets when the UK wanted them).
Aren’t most of their diesels Renault engines?
No they're not
Macan S MY 2023
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

Skyway wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:31 am
Moriarty wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:33 pm It’s not to my taste either. But the strangest thing to me is Merc’s approach to engines. All the years when diesel was massive in the UK they didn’t offer one. Now that diesel is completely out of fashion it’s all they offer, and petrol is only for the base variant. It’s like they are always a decade behind the market here - but I’m sure they must make high powered petrol engines for other markets (and I’m sure they used to make diesels for other markets when the UK wanted them).
No they're not
https://cartriple.com/mercedes-models-w ... lt-engine/

If not most, quite a few seem to be.
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Woodhouse wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:25 pm
Skyway wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:31 am

No they're not
https://cartriple.com/mercedes-models-w ... lt-engine/

If not most, quite a few seem to be.
It was basically the A Class and its derivatives.

Good engines too, as my wife has an A Class
Macan S MY 2023
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Semerka wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:19 am Edit to my below. That's not an CLE Coupe in Scooby Doo's initial post, sorry!
Still, the new CLE copupe looks great. :lol:

====

Oh, that's the new CLE Coupe, isn't it! 8-)
Merc decided to combine the C class and E class coupes into the new CLE.
CLE looks gorgeous on the outside to my eyes, I have actually already specced a CLE 450 4MATIC AMG Line Premium Coupé on the Merc configurator. :lol:
They are too big though, longer than an Audi A5 or BMW 4 series.

The 450 4Matic versions have a 3 litre (or 2.999) 6 cylinder engine with a little leccy motor, jsut over 380 BHP, I believe.

If it were a bit smaller, I would have seriously considered it. Porsche do not offer such type of car, sadly.
I really liked the E coupe but on a few occasions with rear passengers , some of my bowls playing teamates are 70 plus , it proved really difficult to get them out.
I'm not sure about the CLE , It's a compromise, too much like the C class coupe which I've never liked and priced @ £60k +.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

No, Merc diesels use the same engines as i their Taxi’s, Vans and trucks.

Another reason to avoid, a Merc saloon is a Merc Sprinter with a squashed body.

Chap I used to work with had one after the other, one problem after another, one cr4p dealer after another.

Boss had one, that laid down more smoke than a WW2 Destroyer.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

If you say so!
Macan S MY 2023
GWL

Post by GWL »

wab172uk wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:18 am
Scooby_Doo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:00 pm Why would I want to sit behind the wheel of something that looks like a christmas tree ? New MB "E" Class.
095-mercedes-benz-e-class-review-ambient-lighting.jpg
It just seams a gimmick to appeal to the Ipad generation.
iPad generation? How old are you :shock: ? I'm 63 and my wife's 58 and we both use iPads. My 86 year old mum and 90 year old dad use iPads.
So how old is the non-iPad generation? Must be quite a small market.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i