VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Haven’t really looked much at the new Clio yet but the electric Megane is a smart looking car. It’s just the “Renault” bit I would find hard to overcome 😀
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

MCDK wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:44 pm Haven’t really looked much at the new Clio yet but the electric Megane is a smart looking car. It’s just the “Renault” bit I would find hard to overcome 😀
Must admit the revised Clio was not on my radar when we started looking in July.
A 3rd Leon was first call, but we feel they've spoilt it with new UI dash board and the quality is not what it was - a general VW mid-range group issue.

We do NOT want a BEV. But this Hybrid solution seems good. In town / up to 30 mph is runs in EV. Brake regeneration and the engine, when it cuts in, recharges the motive battery. No plugging in needed.

Having driven the loan car Jogger today, I am pleasantly suprised that it is showing 60.5 mpg over a mixed bag of roads / driving, with no Eco effort on my part! It's also got a suprisingly good turn of speed up to 50 mph. So the same engine & gearbox should be even better in the lighter and more aerodynamic Clio.

I am also suprised at how much car you get for £23k with this Dacia 7-seater, comfortable, great ride quality car. Okay the build quality is not Porsche level, but it does not squeek or rattle and for that money it seems to be a very capable family car.

The new model Clio is certainly a step up in quality and fixtures & fittings. It has a really extensive list of standard items. In fact metallic paint and a spare wheel are the only options. You can guess which one we chose.....

As to "Renault", I had the same qualms until my son reminded me that he had two Clio Sports - a 182 followed by a 197bhp - back in the day and they were bullet proof. He covered 60,000+ miles in each, including a grand tour of Europe in his pre-University "year out".

I saw this today in a news report:

The Renault Clio is France's best-selling car and a vehicle that has sold over 1.1 million units in the UK during the last 33 years. Renault has facelifted the fifth-generation Clio to give it a "bold, fresh style and added sportiness." The UK-spec range includes three trim levels, Evolution, Techno and Esprit Alpine.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 172119.png

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I always swore I'd never own a French car but ended buying a 1.3 Clio off Ebay £900 about 10/12 years ago 2 kids learned to drive in it and I was well impressed with how it drove except for two occassions when it did unprovoked 360s on a couple of local roundabouts, no harm done fortunately but interesting! The only other issue was slightly sporadic behaviour from the immobiliser which led to at one daughter walking home at least once, not too far. It started first time when i went for it the next morning :lol: it was written off after about a year when a BMW rear ended it at one of the above mentioned roundabouts. Without negotiating the insurance payout was more than it cost to buy... RESULT!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP