Highway code changes

The place to discuss everything else..
penport

Post by penport »

I suspect many people (obviously this doesn't include Porsche drivers ;) ) are unaware of some big changes coming along at the end of January regarding the Highway code.

It introduces a hierarchy according to size of vehicle - so HGV bears responsibility to take care and reduce danger to smaller vehicles; likewise cars to cyclists; cyclists to pedestrians etc
But the biggest things are a new priority for cyclists over cars when turning at junctions and priority for pedestrians over cars when pedestrians are 'crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning'.

Not sure I'd want to be the first pedestrian to test this out.

More details here https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3556 ... en-turning
And a useful graphic:

What do others think? Recipe for chaos or a welcome move for safer roads?
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I was aware of these changes but, IMHO, they are not good or safe changes! 🤔 As you say, I don’t want to be the first pedestrian to test this out 🤣
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

.... or the first left turner being rear ended as a result.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
GTB

Post by GTB »

Plenty of legal firms will be queing up to help thats for sure to get the injured party all the compensation they deserve!!

Common bloody sense that the larger vehichles gives due consideration for smaller behichles and all engine propelled vehicles the same for human powered vehicles such as bicicles, and of course pedestrians, but pedestrians must also be responsible for their actions, I know plenty of junctions as shown in the diagram, and from 7am until 7pm, the cars will never be able to trun left at the junction because there are always people wanting to cross because they are too lazy to walk 25M further up the road and cross on the pelican crossing.

In the rural areas near me and its got far worse over the last twenty years, people were taught how to walk and which side of the road to walk on where there are no street lights or pavements, so people back then wore lighter clothing carried a torch etc etc.

Now few think like that, dressed head to toe in black/very dark colours and walking anyway they want into and away from traffic. And no consideration for their safety, yet we have hi viz tapes in all shapes that people can wear LED torches etc that would make them more visible.

Im not shy to admit it, but couple years ago, guy dressed fully in black, hood up, torrential rain and walking away from traffic flow, I was fortunately only doing 35/40 because of the road conditions normally I would have been doing 60 ;) ;) , the pedestrian likley heard my car coming and it was only when he turned round I saw he was actually there, I stopped and gave him a bloody ear full. I fully understand that if I had clipped him or worse killed him, its me in court or jail and to live with that situation rest of my life, but come on and thats the discussion I had with the guy, winters night and dressed in black, he did nothing absolutely nothing about his own safety and thats the part I dont like. In my professional life I need to deal with accidents and engineering issues where things go wrong, "blame" never falls 100% on one party its shared proportionally across all parties involved. Which to me is far more sensible and prudent. So on the above example should the motorist take 100% blame? should pedestrians also not take an apropriate portion?

You see in Social media the motorist, lorry driver takes pelters as soon as there is a serious RTC or fatality, people just presume its always the motorist to blame without looking at all the causes.

Yes, I will need to be careful now at these junctions, but can see even more rear end shunts as I stop to let the pedestrian cross but car behind doesnt see what Im Looking at,

Sorry for moaning so early in 2022...............only lasted 2.5 days :lol: :lol: :lol:

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
GTB

Post by GTB »

Neil1911 wrote: ↑Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:46 am .... or the first left turner being rear ended as a result.
Happy New Year Neil1911!

Great minds think alike and all that, I was typing up my rather longer post than yours, but thats two of us thinking rear end shunts may just be an outcome of this!!

I would just need to work out the compensation claim for myself for my whiplash and damage to my car, negates what I would possibly need to pay the pedestrain>>>>>

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Years ago I did a Police Driver training course and the Police Sergeant allocated to my training was one of their examiners and was probably the most skilled driver I have ever come across.

“Think of every road user as someone hell bent on killing or maiming you and drive accordingly” was one of his many phrases of wisdom and very apt for me as at that time I cycled to work most days and that was often fraught with danger through brain dead drivers not giving me safe space or cutting me off.

Sadly the revisions to the Highway Code will do nothing to improve the pretty low standard of driving/riding on the roads today.

With the increase in popularity of cycling and with many bikes now having electric assist or even fully electric there is no public education system in place to impart not only the changes to the HC but to in-still good road practices especially for the most vulnerable.

Remember the public information short films shown on TV and in cinemas? We need them back.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Surly this changes nothing in practice except liability? No pedestrian is going to walk out into the road with impunity just because of this change, and no driver would have mown them down before it changed?

In practice, I don’t want to hit anybody and so drive accordingly.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
GTB

Post by GTB »

Col Lamb,

Totally agree with your thoughts, people can bring in as many regulations and Laws, but unless promoted in the correct arena, nothing will change. Highway Code changes affects every motorist, so yes been a few things in local and national press (If people still read such things). Education must be there, and yes the historical public information adverts in the past were great and aimed at all age groups.

Somewhere in my loft I still have my "Tufty" Club badge for learning how to cross the road....... Must have been late 60's when I got that.

GTB
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Interesting. I actually thought pedestrians already have right (of way?) on any road they step into except for motorways (maybe dual carriageways too? Obvs shouldn’t be on a motorway).

Contrary to that I thought I was quite up to date on the Highway Code but I suspect most folk haven’t looked at it since they took their tests :-)

I suppose now the defence against mowing down an idiot cyclist/pedestrian now falls to witnesses/dash cams.

Do Porsche fit them as standard to cars now? They’re all riddled with cameras these days anyway so no real excuse. I know when selling my Macan that installing a dashcam was explicitly called out as a service/warrranty black mark so they’re not exactly encouraging them!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Am I alone in thinking that you already had to give way to a pedestrian waiting to cross at a zebra crossing?

That's how I was taught to drive and have been using them for years (both as a pedestrian and a car driver).

In London drivers are actually usually quite good at looking out and coming to a stop if someone is waiting too.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94