Highway code changes

The place to discuss everything else..
GTB

Post by GTB »

Jon A wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:04 pm Surly this changes nothing in practice except liability? No pedestrian is going to walk out into the road with impunity just because of this change, and no driver would have mown them down before it changed?

In practice, I don’t want to hit anybody and so drive accordingly.
Jon A,
Its just not about people that have started to cross the road, Im sure we all get that and that reflects in your reply. Its the "... Pedestrians waiting to cross a road....." that you must give way for, thats going to be the issue, so as I approach a junction to turn left I see three people standing to cross the road, so I stop as the Highway code now says as Im a good law abiding driver, but car behind me doesnt stop!

Or even worse I dont follow the new rules, ignore the pedestrians waiting to cross and drive as we have done, as we saw they were all safe on the pavement, unfortunately one of those pedestrians was a plain clothes police officer who now radios to his fellow officers standing 100M further down the road and I get pulled over for not giving way for pedstrians waiting to cross?

At least the pedestrains will maybe hear us in our ICE vehicles but they wont hear many of the EV's coming, but thats another subject..................

GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0

Guy

Post by Guy »

Look's very similar to the German rules of the road (circa 1984 when I did my UK driving test there!)

In UK, I'd like to see a change that makes it compulsory for cyclists to wear fluorescent clothing, rather than the fashionable (and slimming!) black lycra. Most seem to have a Deathwish :?
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

A problem with these changes, will be that not everyone is aware of them. I think there should be a public information campaign via mainstream media, so that most if not everyone is aware there are changes.
Until then it could be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, and a form of stalemate happens where no one is singing of the same hymn sheet. Heaven help us all.😩😩
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

GTB wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:20 pm
Jon A wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:04 pm Surly this changes nothing in practice except liability? No pedestrian is going to walk out into the road with impunity just because of this change, and no driver would have mown them down before it changed?

In practice, I don’t want to hit anybody and so drive accordingly.
Jon A,
Its just not about people that have started to cross the road, Im sure we all get that and that reflects in your reply. Its the "... Pedestrians waiting to cross a road....." that you must give way for, thats going to be the issue, so as I approach a junction to turn left I see three people standing to cross the road, so I stop as the Highway code now says as Im a good law abiding driver, but car behind me doesnt stop!

Or even worse I dont follow the new rules, ignore the pedestrians waiting to cross and drive as we have done, as we saw they were all safe on the pavement, unfortunately one of those pedestrians was a plain clothes police officer who now radios to his fellow officers standing 100M further down the road and I get pulled over for not giving way for pedstrians waiting to cross?

At least the pedestrains will maybe hear us in our ICE vehicles but they wont hear many of the EV's coming, but thats another subject..................

GTB
It’s only for people or cyclists waiting to cross at a zebra or parallel crossing, not for loitering near the curb!
No real hardship - overthinking??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

…also just to say I will stop for somebody to cross the road when turning into a junction anyway. A quick glance to make sure nobody is close behind me and a gentle stop - I don’t and won’t be coming to a screaming halt to do this 😂
If I do need to continue because not safe to stop, I am happy to take the chance that the pedestrian won’t report me - who are they going to report me too I wonder?
More chance of me ordering a GTS and getting a 20% discount and delivery next week… 😂😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

goron59 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:16 pm I suppose now the defence against mowing down an idiot cyclist/pedestrian now falls to witnesses/dash cams.

Do Porsche fit them as standard to cars now? They’re all riddled with cameras these days anyway so no real excuse. I know when selling my Macan that installing a dashcam was explicitly called out as a service/warrranty black mark so they’re not exactly encouraging them!
A dashcam is definitely a worthwhile accessory nowadays. Porsche do now offer a retrofit dashcam albeit horrendously priced and as a dealer fit option only.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I have always thought that it is a bit academic who is right or wrong if you are lying dead.

When walking I give way to vehicles, when on a bike I give way to vehicles and in the Macan I often give way to HGV's. If something is large and will crush you it is a bit stupid to assume that they see you and will give way to you.
penport

Post by penport »

The new rules apply to junctions as well as Zebra crossings.
Interestingly there's no definition of 'junction' or indeed how near/far to said junction that the rules apply for a pedestrian. So you could theoretically be unsighted of a pedestrian say 10ft round the corner of a junction and then must give way. So the sensible thing to do will be to assume there's a pedestrian at every junction - but then incur the wrath of those behind.
Thank goodness I installed a dashcam front and rear!
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Guy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:21 pm Look's very similar to the German rules of the road (circa 1984 when I did my UK driving test there!)

In UK, I'd like to see a change that makes it compulsory for cyclists to wear fluorescent clothing, rather than the fashionable (and slimming!) black lycra. Most seem to have a Deathwish :?
Me, I would like to see bikes and adult electric scooters, crushed and recycled at the owners expense when they ride them on pavements.

A worrying percentage of cyclists near me seem to have had a frontal labotomy performed on them such is their abysmal road and track sense.

A cannot understand how cyclists can spend hundreds if not thousands on a bike and they do not buy, fit and use a bell.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I think you may find that the law states that all new bikes need to have a bell fitted. But after they’ve left the supplier, nothing.
The old adage says, the laws an ass.
With regard to the junction law, it’s a bit of overkill me thinks. I can see that the problem has arisen due to vehicles turning not indicating, and the pedestrians waiting in limbo.
But it’s not pedestrians or cyclists that cause the vast amount of serious injuries, it’s the mechanical monsters, which we are part of.
The road is there for everyone, and whoever uses it should watch out and be courteous to others.