Highway code changes

The place to discuss everything else..
wilko

Post by wilko »

I’ve done more miles on a push bike than in a car over the last couple of years (just) mostly for exercise and for the record, all the black Lycra has large amounts of reflective tape in the seams, and if a motorist doesn’t see me with the various reflective aids all over my bike and clothing along with the bright daytime running lights, then they are blind and shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a car. No I don’t have a bell, but my mouth is significantly louder and way more communicative than a bell 8-)

Every ride I go on, 99.9% of drivers are courteous, and give plenty of room when passing and don’t seem to be upset at the 3-4 seconds of their day they may have lost waiting to pass. Highway Code says 1.5m, so you need to be almost fully on the other side of the road when overtaking a bike.

But there’s the 0.1 % who have to overtake you no matter what, particularly in the city. Now when I ride in the city, I average 17-18mph, and will get to my destination way quicker than I can in the car, yet the number of people who do close overtakes only to have to stop 30 m up the road for a parked car that a bike doesn’t need to stop for, or turns immediately right or left astounds me.

I ride like I drive, in that when driving a car I’m fully aware that there’s a proportion of drivers who shouldn’t be on the road, so I make allowances for them and drive so as not to be killed by them. I do the same around all other road users, whether they be horses, tractors, bikes or pedestrians.

However when I’m driving my 2 tonne car, I’m significantly more careful around soft squishy objects as I don’t want to kill them, and pay close attention to much larger vehicles as I don’t want to be crushed by them.

It amazes me though how many drivers seem unfazed by the small percentage of crap drivers who get in their way, yet will happily vent about how all cyclists are ****s.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R

Deleted User 4607

Post by Deleted User 4607 »

Im looking forward to 'bullying' all those self drive Teslas by walking slowly in the middle of the road up my local high street... :lol:
Guy

Post by Guy »

wilko wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:18 pm I’ve done more miles on a push bike than in a car over the last couple of years (just) mostly for exercise and for the record, all the black Lycra has large amounts of reflective tape in the seams, and if a motorist doesn’t see me with the various reflective aids all over my bike and clothing along with the bright daytime running lights, then they are blind and shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a car. No I don’t have a bell, but my mouth is significantly louder and way more communicative than a bell 8-)

'For the record' I'm a cyclist too - I don't own a car and rarely drive (since selling my Macan in Oct 2020). AFAIK reflective tape is only really of use after dark, whereas most recreational cyclists are out in daylight. I still fail to understand why many cyclists seem averse to wearing high-viz clothing; this really makes a difference out in the sticks; I feel sure that in many cases it would save lives.

PS: I also have a bell fitted; it's so much more polite and quintessentially British ;)
wilko

Post by wilko »

Guy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:39 pm
PS: I also have a bell fitted; it's so much more polite and quintessentially British ;)
And useful if you cycle around parks or in shared space but pretty useless when mixing it up on the road with cars.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Guy

Post by Guy »

wilko wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:49 pm
Guy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:39 pm
And useful if you cycle around parks or in shared space but pretty useless when mixing it up on the road with cars.

Sorry you lost me there! Do you shout at the cars or their drivers?? :D
wilko

Post by wilko »

Drivers usually when they are close enough to hear (so far too close)
I don’t generally find the need to shout at pedestrians or horses, other than the odd ‘good morning’
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

Plyphon wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:19 pm Am I alone in thinking that you already had to give way to a pedestrian waiting to cross at a zebra crossing?
I believe the current rule is the pedestrian has to place one foot on the zebra crossing to show intent to cross then actually wait for the traffic to stop.

The new rule will mean that the pedestrian can just walk on to the crossing and it will be the drivers responsibility to stop..!..!

A good driver has always however stopped and allowed the pedestrian to cross.

Jim