Porsche 911 Carrera S (992)

The place to discuss everything else..
User avatar
pmg
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Post by pmg » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:59 pm

pmg wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:59 pm
Jon A wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:55 pm
Tracky wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:45 pm
Speed limits are for wimps....
I agree! I didn’t mention speed limits, PMG did…
PMG prefers to keep his license and lower insurance cost wimp or not ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :P :P :P
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Jon A
Posts: 1357
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Post by Jon A » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:03 pm

pmg wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:58 pm
Jon A wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:23 pm
Ok one last time… I’m clearly confusing people with my query…
If you red line a 3.0l turbo OR a 4.0 NA in third gear or above you are over the speed limit. Ergo, the slightly higher gearing in the 4.0l makes no difference in the real world as you will need a lower gear to get the drama and stay legal - or just floor it in a higher gear and get more drama but obviously over speed limit
So my query was why would slightly higher gearing make such a difference on the road? It’s a legitimate question, I’m not trying to be clever, I have never owned a 4.0 NA engine so am curious…
The issue is the 4 litre naturally aspirated 6 cyl is down on torque at lower revs compared with the turbo cars and the high gearing cuts relative performance at lower revs
Gotcha 👍
So the solution is to drop down a cog or two and enjoy the noise…
Jon A
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Collected on April 13th ‘22
Last: Jag Fpace 300 sport
Past: Various Mercs, BM's and a TR7 once...
911 on order - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN1N98U9

User avatar
Pivot
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Post by Pivot » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:57 pm

Wing Commander wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:54 am
3.08am?! Couldn’t sleep?

I learned to sleep with one eye open ;)

911 — 4.0L — 6-zyl — NA — boxer motor… that is a full house!
Expecting: 911 Carrera S - PNHZDZN2
Current: 718 Boxster, Ducati TK01-RR
Ex: Macan S gen II, BMW R nineT

Gibberish
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:30 pm

Post by Gibberish » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:22 pm

I have my name down for a potential 992 Carrera T, i have absolutely everything crossed that it'll be a 4.0, failing that I'll stick with a Boxster 4.0.
I just think what an amazing car it would be, a true unicorn.. then I'll wake up and see the T released with the 3.0T. 😂
Sold : 2012 981 Boxster S
Sold : 2016 981 Boxster Spyder
Current: 2017 pdk 718 Cayman S
On order :
Due 2022 Macan GTS
Due 2022 718 Cayman GTS
Due 2024 911 Carrera

User avatar
Pivot
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Post by Pivot » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:00 am

Gibberish wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:22 pm
I have my name down for a potential 992 Carrera T, i have absolutely everything crossed that it'll be a 4.0, failing that I'll stick with a Boxster 4.0.
I just think what an amazing car it would be, a true unicorn.. then I'll wake up and see the T released with the 3.0T. 😂
What is attracting you to Carrera T?

I like the idea of 911 Dakar (ex Safari)
Expecting: 911 Carrera S - PNHZDZN2
Current: 718 Boxster, Ducati TK01-RR
Ex: Macan S gen II, BMW R nineT

Rarecolour
Posts: 906
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:39 am

Post by Rarecolour » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:52 am

Gibberish wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:22 pm
I have my name down for a potential 992 Carrera T, i have absolutely everything crossed that it'll be a 4.0, failing that I'll stick with a Boxster 4.0.
I just think what an amazing car it would be, a true unicorn.. then I'll wake up and see the T released with the 3.0T. 😂

I think the T will be great with either 3.0TT or 4.0NA, but the experience would be completely different in both.
2021 Macan Turbo

Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)

Gibberish
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:30 pm

Post by Gibberish » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:53 am

Pivot wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:00 am
Gibberish wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:22 pm
I have my name down for a potential 992 Carrera T, i have absolutely everything crossed that it'll be a 4.0, failing that I'll stick with a Boxster 4.0.
I just think what an amazing car it would be, a true unicorn.. then I'll wake up and see the T released with the 3.0T. 😂
What is attracting you to Carrera T?

I like the idea of 911 Dakar (ex Safari)
The T formula with the 992 body, I've heard many do not like the 992 for being too big and too much tech but i love the way it looks and appreciate the tech.
It's Whether they can or will give it a lightweight package as in the current GTS fitted with the 9A2 4.0L and a manual box.

I like the idea of the Dakar too but i fear price point maybe above the current GTS whilst the T should be still under the 100k mark. 🤞
Sold : 2012 981 Boxster S
Sold : 2016 981 Boxster Spyder
Current: 2017 pdk 718 Cayman S
On order :
Due 2022 Macan GTS
Due 2022 718 Cayman GTS
Due 2024 911 Carrera

User avatar
Pivot
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Post by Pivot » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:37 am

I drove Cayman 4.0 NA 400hp and I absolutely loved it. I drove PDK and MT back to back at Silverstone and I have to admit that I enjoyed PDK more. For context, I currently drive Boxster 2.0T with MT so I thought I would pref MT, but PDK was so much better at least on the track.

I wonder how will 911 4.0 NA drive, given extra weight and size. Then again, with modern electronic witchcraft, I have no doubt that Porsche will tune it perfectly for us.
Expecting: 911 Carrera S - PNHZDZN2
Current: 718 Boxster, Ducati TK01-RR
Ex: Macan S gen II, BMW R nineT

Gibberish
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:30 pm

Post by Gibberish » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:22 pm

Pivot wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:37 am
I drove Cayman 4.0 NA 400hp and I absolutely loved it. I drove PDK and MT back to back at Silverstone and I have to admit that I enjoyed PDK more. For context, I currently drive Boxster 2.0T with MT so I thought I would pref MT, but PDK was so much better at least on the track.

I wonder how will 911 4.0 NA drive, given extra weight and size. Then again, with modern electronic witchcraft, I have no doubt that Porsche will tune it perfectly for us.
Not yet driven a car with the 9A2 4.0l, the 3.8 in the spyder was well suited but tall geared (didn't bother me as in 2nd at 40-70 was amazing)
If Porsche gave it the 8k redline 414bhp of the GT4 I'm sure it would be just right on the money.. or am i just dreaming 😂
Sold : 2012 981 Boxster S
Sold : 2016 981 Boxster Spyder
Current: 2017 pdk 718 Cayman S
On order :
Due 2022 Macan GTS
Due 2022 718 Cayman GTS
Due 2024 911 Carrera

User avatar
Pivot
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Post by Pivot » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:46 pm

Gibberish wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:22 pm

Not yet driven a car with the 9A2 4.0l, the 3.8 in the spyder was well suited but tall geared (didn't bother me as in 2nd at 40-70 was amazing)
If Porsche gave it the 8k redline 414bhp of the GT4 I'm sure it would be just right on the money.. or am i just dreaming 😂

An excellent observation, @Gibberish

By the way, isn’t Caynan GTS, GT4 & GT4 RS the same base motor as GT3 RS, just with diff shaman treatment? That gives us a vast range of characteristics.

It’s good to dream and count horsepower… much better than counting sheep 🤓
Expecting: 911 Carrera S - PNHZDZN2
Current: 718 Boxster, Ducati TK01-RR
Ex: Macan S gen II, BMW R nineT

Post Reply

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post