Mercedes exercise programme.

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

No I have not got a Mercedes but my neighbour has.

They are backwards and forwards all day in their Merc.

The thing is the doors and boot of their Merc when closed does not make the reassuring thud that our beloved Macan’s do it is more of a light hollow clink of a delivery van.

So every time I hear the clink of their Merc door being shut I think it is a light delivery van bringing me more goodies.

Hence I am up and down all day long.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

The shame of it is, years ago Mercedes made some really good cars and their quality was second to none. Then the accountants took over from the engineers.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

On-Track wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:39 pm The shame of it is, years ago Mercedes made some really good cars and their quality was second to none. Then the accountants took over from the engineers.

Yep. For ages, journalists have referred to the E Class of 20+ years ago as the last of the really well built Mercs.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

I test drove a GLC43 AMG (and others) before being smitten by the Macan. It was undoubtedly quick in a straight line, but handled like I expected a SUV to handle - ie nothing like as well as the Porsche does. However, what immediately put me off was the cockpit. It simply didn't feel or look classy. I described it as looking like it was trying too hard, wearing just a little too much (cheap) make-up. Also, you'd think by now they'd have come up with a way to integrate the infotainment screen rather than have it bolted on like an afterthought. And why oh why is the auto box engaged with a flimsy stalk to the right side of the steering column rather than with a gearstick (or even a knob) on centre console / transmission tunnel? They sell a lot of cars so I guess plenty like them, but I'm definitely not one of them.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I can remember a few years ago, that the boss of Mercedes was quoted as saying “We over engineer our cars”. He lasted a good five minutes after that. A bit like Mr Ratner, (Jeweler)
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

We have both makes on the drive.I don't think there is any difference.I did the test last night.It could be my hearing is going a bit at 80 years old!!!!I I think mercedes quality went down hill in the 90's but my experience is that quality is so much better in their later models.The new E class I had was really very good ,and the EQA my wife has is excellent.
Deleted User 4439

Post by Deleted User 4439 »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:15 pm
On-Track wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:39 pm The shame of it is, years ago Mercedes made some really good cars and their quality was second to none. Then the accountants took over from the engineers.

Yep. For ages, journalists have referred to the E Class of 20+ years ago as the last of the really well built Mercs.
You are right. The new A class is horrendous. I had the A35 for about 3 months and I sold it. Whole car creaked when going up hills. All 4 brake discs warped (not my driving but an issue with the compound used) and finally the drive shaft failed.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Old Chimer wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:15 pm I test drove a GLC43 AMG (and others) before being smitten by the Macan. It was undoubtedly quick in a straight line, but handled like I expected a SUV to handle - ie nothing like as well as the Porsche does. However, what immediately put me off was the cockpit. It simply didn't feel or look classy. I described it as looking like it was trying too hard, wearing just a little too much (cheap) make-up. Also, you'd think by now they'd have come up with a way to integrate the infotainment screen rather than have it bolted on like an afterthought. And why oh why is the auto box engaged with a flimsy stalk to the right side of the steering column rather than with a gearstick (or even a knob) on centre console / transmission tunnel? They sell a lot of cars so I guess plenty like them, but I'm definitely not one of them.
Back in 2013 when I was looking at moving to an SUV, I had a Mercedes ML for a day. At the time I'd been driving Mercs (E Classes) for more than eight years and had no intention of leaving the brand. The interior of the ML was a copy of the C Class. I had no intention of paying £65k for a car with a cheap interior so I took a look at a Porsche Cayenne and the rest, as they say, is history.

The column mounted gear selector was introduced in the 2010 E Class with the stated intention of making more room in the central console. That purpose has been lost now. Funnily enough, the Gen 3 Macan is going down the Merc path in that you can only change gear manually with paddles.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
RGS

Post by RGS »

I had Mercedes exclusively for over 20 years, pretty much went through the whole range over the years bar the two seaters and finished up with a fully specced AMG C63. So I watched the standard of manufacture slowly deteriorate over the years. Every one of the 10 vehicles I owned had work done under warranty so none were perfect from new. The AMG was a fantastic drivers car, less so from the rear seat passenger experience with the rock hard suspension. Again the car was spoiled by the basic C class body with it's stuck on infotainment screen, poor build quality and false exhaust pipes. The 6 pot callipers would bind on the discs if the car was left standing in damp weather or after a wash which caused difficulty getting the thing to pull away and the only things I miss after swopping to my Macan Turbo were the head up display and matrix headlights. Mercedes now are just a bulk manufacturer with a badge and no better made than any other vehicle. In contrast my Macan is definitely better built, much more refined and hasn't needed any remedial work under warranty in my two years of ownership, best thing is the other half loves it as well, she hated the AMG.