Tesla Model 3

The place to discuss everything else..
Winryn

Post by Winryn »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:11 pm
Winryn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:46 pm I love the performance and the technology of the Tesla. But I cannot see past the awful looks, terrible interior and woeful build quality. I’m not sure I understand the electric car market. For me, give me the Tesla tech and wrap it in an appealing package. Nice looks, interior, badge etc and I’m sold. But every option is a weird quirky take on a car

Taycan is great actually but expensive. All the Audis look frumpy, bmw don’t get me started. That new ix3 is outrageous. Polestar nice interior but again exterior doesn’t appeal. Vw id3/4 are not as nice as the equivalent golf and Tiguan. The normal looking offerings from Peugeot, mini have limited range. The Skoda suv is probably the nicest option out there for me.
Couldn't agree more.

I tried the iPace 3 years ago and that was pretty good. But that niggling JLR reliability and build quality reputation put me off. Also the away from home recharging nightmares. This is the one thing that Tesla have got really right compared to all the others. :idea:
I agree ref jlr build. Another good example however. The f pace is a good looking car. The ipace is one of the weirdest designs on the road.

Make one of the following and I’d be interested:

Macan gts looking as it does with electric motors
Golf r or Audi s3 with electric
Even better the new rs3 with electric
BMW 3 series touring looking like the m340i with electric.
Tiguan r
Audi rsq3
Rs4/5

So many cool cars out there which would appeal with Tesla motor and battery tech underneath

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I think some of you guys have been brain washed. Seriously.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have only ever sat in an S and an X

Neither had seating that I found even remotely comfortable which makes Tesla a non starter if this is indicative of the range.

The range of adjustments of a Macan with 14 way seats would be my main criteria in deciding upon any car. Has anyone more experience in the available adjustments, the website is very vague in all but performance?

Agree with the other posts, fit and finish more like a Morris Marina.

The JLR iPace that I gave the once over seemed well made and put together but the rubbish after sales service would always be a nagging doubt. I have never forgiven Jaguar for my car being off the road for over six weeks due to a fault on an engine sensor, not because they did not have the part, it was they were fullly booked servicing and preparing new vehicles.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:30 am I have only ever sat in an S and a Y.

Neither had seating that I found even remotely comfortable which makes Tesla a non starter if this is indicative of the range.

The range of adjustments of a Macan with 14 way seats would be my main criteria in deciding upon any car. Has anyone more experience in the available adjustments, the website is very vague in all but performance?

The JLR iPace that I gave the once over seemed well made and put together but the rubbish after sales service would always be a nagging doubt. I have never forgiven Jaguar for my car being off the road for over six weeks due to a fault on an engine sensor, not because they did not have the part, it was they were fullly booked servicing and preparing new vehicles.
I'm guessing your experience was more than 4 years ago. I would fully agree that the original Model S seats were rubbish (really odd shape and no support), as was the fit and finish on those cars. But things moved on after the 2016 facelift, especially the seats. Model 3 seats are pretty comfortable on the whole. You don't get the choice of seat that you do in most other higher end cars, but they are fine. They could do with a sports seat option to top it off, but otherwise no complaints. Fit and finish like a Morris Mariana? Not at all. Is it as good as current Porsche? No. But is it better than say a 997 era Porsche? I would say yes based on my experience. I had no end of niggling issues with those cars and some of the interior trim was actually pretty cheap and nasty for a £90k car. The Model 3 actually feels rock solid to drive and there are no squeaks or rattles anywhere. The only fit issues are exterior panel gaps, which can be sorted quite easily and are now actually pretty much resolved since they moved UK production to their new Chinese factory. But Tesla still do insist on NOT doing a proper PDI, which shoots them in the foot as far as perception of quality is concerned. But if you can get over that, they are brilliant cars to drive around and the tech is next level.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Peteski wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:53 am
Col Lamb wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:30 am I have only ever sat in an S and a Y.

I'm guessing your experience was more than 4 years ago. I would fully agree that the original Model S seats were rubbish (really odd shape and no support), as was the fit and finish on those cars. But things moved on after the 2016 facelift, especially the seats. Model 3 seats are pretty comfortable on the whole. You don't get the choice of seat that you do in most other higher end cars, but they are fine. They could do with a sports seat option to top it off, but otherwise no complaints. Fit and finish like a Morris Mariana? Not at all. Is it as good as current Porsche? No. But is it better than say a 997 era Porsche? I would say yes based on my experience. I had no end of niggling issues with those cars and some of the interior trim was actually pretty cheap and nasty for a £90k car. The Model 3 actually feels rock solid to drive and there are no squeaks or rattles anywhere. The only fit issues are exterior panel gaps, which can be sorted quite easily and are now actually pretty much resolved since they moved UK production to their new Chinese factory. But Tesla still do insist on NOT doing a proper PDI, which shoots them in the foot as far as perception of quality is concerned. But if you can get over that, they are brilliant cars to drive around and the tech is next level.
I’d definitely agree. I’ve driven a couple of model 3’s and the doors close with a similar “thunk” to Porsche, they come as standard (now) with double glazed windows and the seats are fine, if not superb. The first Macan I test drove the window buttons disintegrated in my hands the first time used them. So based on test drives I would have put the Tesla above Porsche ( also no transfer box issues amd fhe sun roof doesn’t leak ). Ultimately a Tesla isn’t as well bolted together as a Porsche in my opinion, I don’t believe any American car is ( driven loads ), but Tesla are no worse than many other car manufacturers and not terrible for their price range. They are insanely fast to drive, like nothing I have ever driven.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Model 3 seats are pretty comfortable on the whole.
Thanks for posting a response to my qyery.

Sorry but that still does not give me any confidence.

If the Tesla does not have 4 way adjustments to the lumber area as per a Macan with 14 or 18 way seats then everything about the Tesla is a non starter.

The back issues that I suffer from override everything else, comfort is prime requirement.

It was 2018 when I last sat in both an S and an X and gave them a once over and the fit and finish were most definitely not anywhere near as good as the Jaguar standard at that tine and way way behind Porsche.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:28 pm Model 3 seats are pretty comfortable on the whole.
Thanks for posting a response to my qyery.

Sorry but that still does not give me any confidence.

If the Tesla does not have 4 way adjustments to the lumber area as per a Macan with 14 or 18 way seats then everything about the Tesla is a non starter.

The back issues that I suffer from override everything else, comfort is prime requirement.

It was 2018 when I last sat in both an S and an X and gave them a once over and the fit and finish were most definitely not anywhere near as good as the Jaguar standard at that tine and way way behind Porsche.
They do definitely have 4-way electric lumbar adjustment (both Model 3 and X). I don't have any back issues, so I'm not super critical of such things. I just set and forget. The seats are nice and firm, just lacking a bit of side support for those who prefer deeper sided sports seats.

Fit and finish on both our cars is well above average. But some of the showroom cars I"ve seen have been in a terrible state. Not the best selling point. I wouldn't say the fit is as good as Porsche, but in some ways the finish is actually better. For example some of the plastics Porsche use as standard are not the best IMHO, it's like they are trying to force you into upgrading. But this is all nit-picking in my view. The things that really matter are nailed in the Model 3 i.e. performance, drivetrain efficiency, ride quality, practicality and UI. Compared to say a BMW 3 series or Audi A4, they are in a different league on any objective metric. If you don't care about badges or measuring panel gaps with a micrometer then it's an easy choice to make.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Thanks for the info guys
Col
Macan Turbo