Electric car (choice of)

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

MCDK wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:36 am
Lastly Peteski you admit only coming on here to challenge views, I wonder if that is what is wanted on a Macan forum.
It’s what several respected forum members wanted last time I thought of quoting this forum. Electric car threads debated only by Macan owners would be like the blind leading the blind. But if you would prefer it that way then you can vote for me to clear off. I don’t mind either way. I only come across as an EVangelist because I react to some of the obvious EV/Tesla trolls around here.

In real life people often ask me about my experiences with EVs and Tesla. That’s how you usually learn about things that you don’t have personal experience of. But here it’s like a gang of school kids who like to pick on someone who doesn’t fit in. It’s both amusing and pathetic at the same time. Here’s how these threads usually go:-

OP:Are EVs any good?
Troll: No they are rubbish and I will never buy one
Me: Actually they are really good for some people
Troll: EVs completely suck.
Me: Not in my experience they don’t.
Troll: But you are an EVangelist and don’t own a Macan
Me:: ??

Tesla version

OP: I’m thinking of buying a Tesla
Troll: They are shit and fugly
Me: Actually I don’t agree from experience of them
Troll: But you are a Tesla fanboy……..
Me: ??

I get it. Some people just don’t like a reasoned opposing view even if it comes from more experience than their own.

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

…and this is how it really goes:
I like EV’s…
Great go buy one and enjoy

I like ICE cars…

There really doesn’t need to be more to it than that so let’s move on from this now it’s not actually helping anyone!
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Deleted User 1874

Jon A wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:34 am …and this is how it really goes:
I like EV’s…

I like ICE cars…

There really doesn’t need to be more to it than that so let’s move on from this now it’s not actually helping anyone!
I agree, but you need to get rid of the trolls for it to work like that. Or alternatively get rid of anyone with differing real world experience.
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

When I was younger my dad drove automatics and having tried one myself swore I'd never have one. Then PDK came along and I thought it was that good I've not bought a manual since.

When I was younger diesels were smelly, dirty and slow and I swore I'd never have one. Then a few years ago I got a contract 70 miles from home and decided I needed a more economical commuter to keep costs down so test drove a few different models and ended up buying my first (and only) diesel car as it was comfortable, had reasonable performance but most importantly cost peanuts to run.

When electric cars started to appear on the market I was skeptical about their capabilities and the practicalities and economics of running one. I still am as my view is that is too early to know if they are the future or not. All my current cars are bought and paid for, are a known quantity in terms of running costs as far as anyone can know, have all the infrastructure and support in place to keep them on the road with little or no concern, fit my requirements at this point in time and I get a great deal of enjoyment out of driving them.

If and when I buy something other than an ICE vehicle it will be based on research I've done myself to work out which best suits my needs and this may include asking opinions on forums like this. I, like many on here have asked the memberships opinions on spec for all 3 of my Macans and have shared mine when others have asked about theirs and at no point can I remember anyone voicing an opinion so strong that others took offence. This doesn't seem to the case when talking about the rights and wrongs of electric vehicles especially if you happen to own a 4 year Tesla.

We all have opinions on electric and frankly who cares if these are right or wrong. I would think that most people like me will take opposing views or negative comments with a pinch of salt, do our own research and come up with a decision that suits our needs accordingly. So until that time comes I'm going to go and have some fun in my Macan as it always puts a smile on my face.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^ +1.

Opinions are interesting to read and reflect on but of greater interest to me is unbiased (hopefully), factual real world experience. Things like charging at home and on the road and the costs of doing so, buying and running experience, particularly how charge level and range is impacted by type of driving and weather, issues like reliability, etc, etc. These are the kind of issues that inform buying decisions and perfectly relevant in the off-topic section of a Macan forum too.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 1874

Miopyk wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:33 pm
I, like many on here have asked the memberships opinions on spec for all 3 of my Macans and have shared mine when others have asked about theirs and at no point can I remember anyone voicing an opinion so strong that others took offence. This doesn't seem to the case when talking about the rights and wrongs of electric vehicles especially if you happen to own a 4 year Tesla.

We all have opinions on electric and frankly who cares if these are right or wrong. I would think that most people like me will take opposing views or negative comments with a pinch of salt, do our own research and come up with a decision that suits our needs accordingly. So until that time comes I'm going to go and have some fun in my Macan as it always puts a smile on my face.
The hatred is all one way on this forum when it comes to EVs. EV trolling is everywhere. People don’t like change. Everyone has plenty of ICE experience, but relatively few have any meaningful EV experience.
Deleted User 1874

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:47 pm ^^^ +1.

Opinions are interesting to read and reflect on but of greater interest to me is unbiased (hopefully), factual real world experience. Things like charging at home and on the road and the costs of doing so, buying and running experience, particularly how charge level and range is impacted by type of driving and weather, issues like reliability, etc, etc. These are the kind of issues that inform buying decisions and perfectly relevant in the off-topic section of a Macan forum too.
Whenever I try to comment on those things I get told by the same few trolls that I’m an EVangelist Tesla fanboy.
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:47 pm ^^^ +1.

Agreed. This is why I'm far more interested in my neighbours recent Tesla purchase as I know he'll give me a balanced view and I'm equally interested in Goron's experience since he's able to offer a comparative view against Macan ownership.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Peteski wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:53 pm
I, like many on here have asked the memberships opinions on spec for all 3 of my Macans and have shared mine when others have asked about theirs and at no point can I remember anyone voicing an opinion so strong that others took offence. This doesn't seem to the case when talking about the rights and wrongs of electric vehicles especially if you happen to own a 4 year Tesla.

The hatred is all one way on this forum when it comes to EVs. EV trolling is everywhere. People don’t like change. Everyone has plenty of ICE experience, but relatively few have any meaningful EV experience.
You misunderstand. In this case it's the messenger not the message.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Deleted User 1874

Miopyk wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:02 pm
Peteski wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:53 pm

You misunderstand. In this case it's the messenger not the message.
Okay I give up. You'll be pleased to know I've decided to leave this forum for now as I find it a bit too insular and other than OT subjects like EVs I don't really have any interest. Maybe I'll come back when the EV Macan appears.
For those who are seriously interested in EVs, don't let some of the people here who have zero experience and yet like to offer a very negative opinion put you off.