Electric car (choice of)

The place to discuss everything else..
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^^ No doubt that system will take many decades to recover its installation costs, but an important question for me is can the heat pump be heard from anywhere in the house and garden?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:12 am ^^^^ No doubt that system will take many decades to recover its installation costs, but an important question for me is can the heat pump be heard from anywhere in the house and garden?
Depends how much value you place upon the quality of the built environment you live in. I built our house to provide a clean air environment that would positively impact my wife's health. It has possibly added a decade or more to her life expectancy. I can't put a price on that.

As for noise, the ASHP sits behind our attached garage. It cannot be heard indoors at all, and is a barely audible from 10m away outdoors. Bear in mind also that it is rarely running during daytime hours in the warmer weather in which you are likely to be in the garden.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Old Chimer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:34 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:12 am ^^^^ No doubt that system will take many decades to recover its installation costs, but an important question for me is can the heat pump be heard from anywhere in the house and garden?
Depends how much value you place upon the quality of the built environment you live in. I built our house to provide a clean air environment that would positively impact my wife's health. It has possibly added a decade or more to her life expectancy. I can't put a price on that.
I can say nothing other than I agree doing something that extends your wife's life is priceless. But your ability to create a brand new environment means that you will be somewhat in a minority. Most people in this country will have some form of carbon based heating. It's the cost of converting a house built around a carbon based system to a heat pump (either air or ground) that will make the majority resistant to change. Starting from scratch you can design the insulation levels and heating radiators around the heat pump source you have chosen.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

On-Track wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:50 am
Old Chimer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:34 am
I can say nothing other than I agree doing something that extends your wife's life is priceless. But your ability to create a brand new environment means that you will be somewhat in a minority. Most people in this country will have some form of carbon based heating. It's the cost of converting a house built around a carbon based system to a heat pump (either air or ground) that will make the majority resistant to change. Starting from scratch you can design the insulation levels and heating radiators around the heat pump source you have chosen.
Of course, but national house builders exacerbate the issue by continuing to throw up poorly insulated homes with intentionally sub-optimal airtightness (to avoid the need to install mechanical ventilation) and leave residents and the environment to pay the penalty.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

That many very well be a mute point but in practice it will not receive much consideration.

The industry (and Government) is moving away from gas fired boilers to air or ground source heating/cooling especially for new build or retrofit installation in the domestic market so with the recent energy price hikes it is not unreasonable to anticipate an increase in take up of alternative forms of heating.

Noise levels are typically 50dB so not insignificant but careful sighting and screening would mean only a gentle hum being heard at 5m+ away from the unit(s).

At a 2600 sq foot domestic new build I was at last year the self build owner had gone the air source heat pump route and standing 10m away from the units I could not hear them (Mitsubishi so one of the best there is).

Yes they cost more to install but are far more environmentally friendly than a gas boiler installation.

In an existing dwelling it is not a straight swap from gas to an air source system, as the latter runs at a lower temperature and needs the system designed accordingly.

I recently designed an underfloor and hot water system for a 2000 sq ft bungalow and included annual running costs and future projections in my calculations. Of course if the energy prices remain high all my calcs go out the window and payback periods dramatically will reduce.

Of the joys of being a Pro Engineer (sort of retired).
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:18 pm
That many very well be a mute point but in practice it will not receive much consideration.

The industry (and Government) is moving away from gas fired boilers to air or ground source heating/cooling especially for new build or retrofit installation in the domestic market so with the recent energy price hikes it is not unreasonable to anticipate an increase in take up of alternative forms of heating.

Noise levels are typically 50dB so not insignificant but careful sighting and screening would mean only a gentle hum being heard at 5m+ away from the unit(s).

At a 2600 sq foot domestic new build I was at last year the self build owner had gone the air source heat pump route and standing 10m away from the units I could not hear them (Mitsubishi so one of the best there is).

Yes they cost more to install but are far more environmentally friendly than a gas boiler installation.

In an existing dwelling it is not a straight swap from gas to an air source system, as the latter runs at a lower temperature and needs the system designed accordingly.

I recently designed an underfloor and hot water system for a 2000 sq ft bungalow and included annual running costs and future projections in my calculations. Of course if the energy prices remain high all my calcs go out the window and payback periods dramatically will reduce.

Of the joys of being a Pro Engineer (sort of retired).
Totally agree, which is why it's ridiculous that builders continue to build inefficient homes.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Old Chimer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:21 am
SAC1 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:53 am
Old Chimer wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:34 pm

I have an ASHP. Far from making me a poor sod, it contributes to the fact that the total net energy cost of running our home for the last 4 years is £-130 (yes, that's a minus sign and when I say total I mean everything, heating, DHW, appliances, lighting, etc.).
How much did it cost you to install and convert your previous system?
It's a self build so was starting from scratch. The heat pump provides heating and (when necessary) cooling, but it's just a part of the overall package. We also have solar PV with a power diverter, MVHR and SageGlass electrochromic triple glazing.
Sounds awesome. Wanna build me a house?
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

goron59 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:43 pm

It's a self build so was starting from scratch. The heat pump provides heating and (when necessary) cooling, but it's just a part of the overall package. We also have solar PV with a power diverter, MVHR and SageGlass electrochromic triple glazing.
Sounds awesome. Wanna build me a house?
How much do you want to spend ;)
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Old Chimer wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:34 pm

I have an ASHP. Far from making me a poor sod, it contributes to the fact that the total net energy cost of running our home for the last 4 years is £-130 (yes, that's a minus sign and when I say total I mean everything, heating, DHW, appliances, lighting, etc.).
That's impressive and I genuinely am really pleased for you but as I'm sure you appreciate most people will never be in your position.

Maybe, like with EV, when the price and the technology have improved all may benefit. Unfortunately that wont be for some time.
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:02 pm That's impressive and I genuinely am really pleased for you but as I'm sure you appreciate most people will never be in your position.
Perhaps not, but I imagine most who can afford a new Porsche could afford to do what we've done if they chose to. Our total build cost (excluding the land purchase) was around £315k.