Electric car (choice of)

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Jon A wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:23 am
Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:06 am
Jon A wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:46 am
Nobody is ever buying a Tesla, any Tesla, for how it looks! 😳
That's a bit of a narrow-minded view is it not? I don't like the looks of something, therefore nobody likes the looks of it. Sure.
Not at all. I just make the point that Tesla have a lot of qualities that come above looks in the buying process. I think it’s documented in a survey somewhere that the number one reason for purchase (Tesla vs any other electric) in the UK is the charging network.
I don’t think anybody is seriously arguing that they have great looks or even general design? Certainly not offensive to look at (apart from model X) but certainly not pretty either…
Fair enough. The looks are certainly under-stated, no doubt about that. But not ugly at all. Not to my eye and for me design is very important. Model X doesn't photograph well close up with fish-eye camera phones, but looks fine in reality (as far as 2 tonne SUVs go).

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:39 am Just for fun here's my personal opinion on styling.

The Macan styling on the other hand looks very messy to my eye. Proportions are fine, but there's way too much going on with all the grilles and trim. If I was being rude I would say it looks like the front end is still "under construction".
Aerodynamic detailing is pretty much non-existent and it probably has the Cd of a house brick. I expect the EV version will look much cleaner - maybe?

Peteski, I know you said “Just for fun...” but rubbishing the styling of the Macan, on a Macan forum, where nearly everyone has spent a fortune on buying a Macan, is hardly going to win you any friends. ;) Just saying. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Jon A wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:36 am
Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:02 am
Nelladrahcir wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:14 am

They do though. They all look the same and like something out of a cheap 1970s sci fi TV show.
Sorry but they do.
Don't all Porsches, Audis, Mercs, Jags, Volvos look the same too? It's just brand perception and some people just see what they want to see. Something different/disruptive that threatens the status quo is always going to be polarising. The more threatened people feel by new things, the more they tend to resort to rubbishing them. It's an interesting observation.
I don’t think anybody is “threatened” by EV in general or Tesla in particular. The Taycan is an example of an EV designed to look fantastic, so too is the EV6 for example, it’s just Tesla didn’t go that route. You really don’t have to defend EV’s and Tesla at every perceived slight 😂
You seem like a sensible open-minded sort of guy. But I don't think everyone is around here. I'm only defending some of the comments because it's fun to challenge the mentality behind it.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

…it’s like Pavlov’s dogs… 😂😂 (and no I don’t mean how the Tesla looks) 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:45 am
Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:39 am Just for fun here's my personal opinion on styling.

The Macan styling on the other hand looks very messy to my eye. Proportions are fine, but there's way too much going on with all the grilles and trim. If I was being rude I would say it looks like the front end is still "under construction".
Aerodynamic detailing is pretty much non-existent and it probably has the Cd of a house brick. I expect the EV version will look much cleaner - maybe?

Peteski, I know you said “Just for fun...” but rubbishing the styling of the Macan, on a Macan forum, where nearly everyone has spent a fortune on buying a Macan, is hardly going to win you any friends. ;) Just saying. :)
I'm sure you will have noted that I don't rubbish Macans in reality. I'm just playing devil's advocate in this thread in response to some of the nonsense I'm reading. I'm a lifelong Porsche fan and looking forward to their EV Macan more than most people here. But experiencing Teslas for 4 years has seriously changed my whole perception of what really matters in a car. So I have a new benchmark that I compare to.

I also think that there are quite a few people on this forum who might even agree with my "critique" of the current Macan front end styling. The grilles do seem to get ever more imposing and complicated with every facelift.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Maybe Porsche car designers are spending too much time with BMW car designers (re: front end grille styling). ;) :P :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Lets get real, Tesla cars look pretty bland and boring to look at.

A front end that looks like someone just cut off the front of the clay design model and left it at that.

3DECD783-FD99-4053-82C4-058A6A45B515.jpeg

Inside, there is nothing there just the very large overly intrusive screen.

Seats that look like they are an evolution of a deck chair.

It is not just Tesla, Merc, BMW with their Xi, Audi with all but one model looking the same, even mainstream manufacturers are producing weird looking cars, Nissan Juke, Toyota CHR, Honda Civic.

Why oh why does the interiors of so many new cars look like they have been put together using the cheapest materials possible, at least with Porsche you get a top quality interior to start with.

I’m getting old, all I want is a comfortable car, that rides well and performs well and presently there is nothing from a different manufacturer out there that comes close to our Macan.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:16 pm Lets get real, Tesla cars look pretty bland and boring to look at.

A front end that looks like someone just cut off the front of the clay design model and left it at that.

Inside, there is nothing there just the very large overly intrusive screen.

Seats that look like they are an evolution of a deck chair.

It is not just Tesla, Merc, BMW with their Xi, Audi with all but one model looking the same, even mainstream manufacturers are producing weird looking cars, Nissan Juke, Toyota CHR, Honda Civic.

Why oh why does the interiors of so many new cars look like they have been put together using the cheapest materials possible, at least with Porsche you get a top quality interior to start with.

I’m getting old, all I want is a comfortable car, that rides well and performs well and presently there is nothing from a different manufacturer out there that comes close to our Macan.
It's just missing a number plate. All cars look a bit odd without a front plate. It's just more obvious on a Tesla.

The rest is just personal opinion, maybe largely influenced by your generation? I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself, but I tend to prefer modern, understated minimalist functional design. I don't agree about the cheapest materials. They are different, but not cheap. I've owned many different cars and honestly the soft touch materials that Tesla use are some of the best I've experienced. Porsche interiors are a lot better than they were a few years ago and very well put together, but from a design perspective I just find them outdated and cluttered. What is clear is that Tesla is certainly not a brand for someone who prefers a traditional approach to design.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I can agree with you there Simon as the vast majority on this forum are either past, present or future Macan owners, whereas Peteski is non of these. He talked a lot about buying one back in 2017 but never did. his first take on a Tesla and I quote in his own words:
“I had a look inside one recently and it seemed like a computer nerd's idea of heaven on wheels. Not for me thanks, it totally lacks any sort of charisma” 🙄😂😂
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

MikeM wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:10 pm

I can agree with you there Simon as the vast majority on this forum are either past, present or future Macan owners, whereas Peteski is non of these. He talked a lot about buying one back in 2017 but never did. his first take on a Tesla and I quote in his own words:
“I had a look inside one recently and it seemed like a computer nerd's idea of heaven on wheels. Not for me thanks, it totally lacks any sort of charisma” 🙄😂😂
I suspect you have just rung Pavlov’s bell there. Peteski strikes me as the kind of fella where the last word is important to him… 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0