Electric car (choice of)

The place to discuss everything else..
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:52 pm Tesla was fun to drive but cheap and nasty trim and awful build quality typical of most American built cars, excepting a US Honda Accord I once drove.
Plus the fact Teslas look awful. The X in white looks like a melting blob of ice cream and the rest of the range looks seriously out of date. Sadly, as good as the tech might be they are incredibly dull to look at compared to anything Porsche have to offer. And there is something nice about a car that brings a smile to your face when you look at it.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )

drgav2005

Post by drgav2005 »

The better half moved back onto a company car scheme and got the Volvo XC40 recharge. Must admit, it’s well put together and goes well off the line (0-60 in about 4.5s) and not too bad round the twisties. We’re using it for all our local journeys and she can charge the car for free at work, so financially it makes a ton of sense.
She hated the Mercedes EQA - the steering wheel obscured most of the central screen where the sat nav is displayed.
The Jag iPace was lovely, really stunning inside but pretty huge and a bit too floaty (she’d been driving an RS3 for the last 5 years).
The BMW iX3 was OK but was pretty slow and rear wheel drive only which was an issue down the single track lane we live on.
Not surprisingly she didn’t even get to test the Audi etron because the local dealership are absolutely useless… despite having booked a demo the sales guy had no idea about the car at all and it was off site so she couldn’t even see it let alone drive it. Raging!
She looked at the Hyundai ioniq 5 but it’s not exactly premium inside. The Kia EV6 hadn’t hit the showrooms so wasn’t considered.
The Tesla model 3 has no rear hatchback, so useless for us as we’ve got dogs and she needs to transport her bikes to races. The Model Y wasn’t getting great reviews on ride quality and looks pretty big.
So that left the Volvo. Ticks all the practicality boxes. Looks ok (I quite like the Tonka toy design of the XC40!). Great design touches all over the car, drives well, decent spec for the price and we managed to get one on a short lead time which meant we were able to cash in the RS3 which I’d owned from new getting 80% of the purchase price back after 4.5 years - result!
I’ve got the macan for longer journeys but stuck down a deposit on the EV macan at the local OPC just in case it’s awesome 🤩
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Paul1970 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:09 pm and the rest of the range looks seriously out of date
WTF?
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:03 am
Paul1970 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:09 pm and the rest of the range looks seriously out of date
WTF?
They do though. They all look the same and like something out of a cheap 1970s sci fi TV show.
Sorry but they do.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nelladrahcir wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:14 am
WTF?
They do though. They all look the same and like something out of a cheap 1970s sci fi TV show.
Sorry but they do.
Nobody is ever buying a Tesla, any Tesla, for how it looks! 😳
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Deleted User 1874

WTF?
Sorry but they do.
Don't all Porsches, Audis, Mercs, Jags, Volvos look the same too? It's just brand perception and some people just see what they want to see. Something different/disruptive that threatens the status quo is always going to be polarising. The more threatened people feel by new things, the more they tend to resort to rubbishing them. It's an interesting observation.
Deleted User 1874

Jon A wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:46 am

WTF?
Sorry but they do.
That's a bit of a narrow-minded view is it not? I don't like the looks of something, therefore nobody likes the looks of it. Sure.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:06 am
Jon A wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:46 am

Sorry but they do.
That's a bit of a narrow-minded view is it not? I don't like the looks of something, therefore nobody likes the looks of it. Sure.
Not at all. I just make the point that Tesla have a lot of qualities that come above looks in the buying process. I think it’s documented in a survey somewhere that the number one reason for purchase (Tesla vs any other electric) in the UK is the charging network.
I don’t think anybody is seriously arguing that they have great looks or even general design? Certainly not offensive to look at (apart from model X) but certainly not pretty either…
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:02 am

WTF?
Sorry but they do.
Don't all Porsches, Audis, Mercs, Jags, Volvos look the same too? It's just brand perception and some people just see what they want to see. Something different/disruptive that threatens the status quo is always going to be polarising. The more threatened people feel by new things, the more they tend to resort to rubbishing them. It's an interesting observation.
I don’t think anybody is “threatened” by EV in general or Tesla in particular. The Taycan is an example of an EV designed to look fantastic, so too is the EV6 for example, it’s just Tesla didn’t go that route. You really don’t have to defend EV’s and Tesla at every perceived slight 😂
Deleted User 1874

Just for fun here's my personal opinion on styling. I see a Model 3 as being a modern, aerodynamic, uncluttered, understated design.
Flush fitting glass and door handles. It's all form following function. No superfluous cosmetic fluff to be seen here.

The Macan styling on the other hand looks very messy to my eye. Proportions are fine, but there's way too much going on with all the grilles and trim. If I was being rude I would say it looks like the front end is still "under construction".
Aerodynamic detailing is pretty much non-existent and it probably has the Cd of a house brick. I expect the EV version will look much cleaner - maybe?