Drainage ducts need cleaning Sir. Kerching!!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JBA

Post by JBA »

Crazy diamond wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:02 pm Just had similar during my 111 point check. Incandescent was my response to the suggested £200 cost for cleaning ducts. Given my Macan is always garaged, 3 years old and with only 12500 miles how can a blocked drainage duct be anything other than a design issue? Clearly there are too many people who will accept such a suggestion. Drainage ducts should drain, if they block on a number of vehicles in a short space of time then they are not fit for purpose.

Following investigation it appears that the drainage duct non return valve ( to prevent water flowing up the duct if you submerge the vehicle!) was blocked with dust and grease from sun roof. As a mark of “goodwill”charge was waived , probably due to the fact they know that this is a design issue.

A simple answer would be to remove this unnecessary valve ( my view). I suggest any Forum member reading this does not accept a charge for cleaning out ducts.
Hi,
I totally agree with you. This is unacceptable from Porsche and quite frankly an embarassing design fault.

Last week as I discussed my inpending 4 year service with the OPC, the drainage duct charge was thrust on me. As you can see from the first post in this thread, I had the same charge applied at year 2 service.

This time the excuse was Covid and the fact that car washes are not open so a lot of customers are not able to get those ducts and their cars cleaned as often.

I asked OPC to waive this charge but the response so far is no goodwill gestures on this issue anymore but I am not backing down yet.

Suggest we all keep fighting this. It's not becoming for a premium, otherwise beautiful car or a brand that prides itself on its loyal, discerning customers.

I hope you are reading this our marketing and customer experience teams friends at Porsche HQ.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

JBA wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:21 am
Crazy diamond wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:02 pm Just had similar during my 111 point check. Incandescent was my response to the suggested £200 cost for cleaning ducts. Given my Macan is always garaged, 3 years old and with only 12500 miles how can a blocked drainage duct be anything other than a design issue? Clearly there are too many people who will accept such a suggestion. Drainage ducts should drain, if they block on a number of vehicles in a short space of time then they are not fit for purpose.

Following investigation it appears that the drainage duct non return valve ( to prevent water flowing up the duct if you submerge the vehicle!) was blocked with dust and grease from sun roof. As a mark of “goodwill”charge was waived , probably due to the fact they know that this is a design issue.

A simple answer would be to remove this unnecessary valve ( my view). I suggest any Forum member reading this does not accept a charge for cleaning out ducts.
Hi,
I totally agree with you. This is unacceptable from Porsche and quite frankly an embarassing design fault.

Last week as I discussed my inpending 4 year service with the OPC, the drainage duct charge was thrust on me. As you can see from the first post in this thread, I had the same charge applied at year 2 service.

This time the excuse was Covid and the fact that car washes are not open so a lot of customers are not able to get those ducts and their cars cleaned as often.

I asked OPC to waive this charge but the response so far is no goodwill gestures on this issue anymore but I am not backing down yet.

Suggest we all keep fighting this. It's not becoming for a premium, otherwise beautiful car or a brand that prides itself on its loyal, discerning customers.

I hope you are reading this our marketing and customer experience teams friends at Porsche HQ.
Albeit it was then and now I had the same battle 12 months ago. Fortunately it coincided with a minor recall which necessitated the removal of rear seats etc do they did it at the same time - gratis.

I have read or been told that the issue is due to the drainage pipes crimping against something somewhere very close to their end. The simple fix therefore is just snip off a short section above the crimp. No idea if this is true or not.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Rusco

Post by Rusco »

Interesting reading through this thread.
After finding my A pillars damp my local OPC diagnosed blocked front ducks. They had my car in at short noticed, fixed, dried out and returned spotless in 3 days all covered under the used car warranty without a question.
I only have experience of my local OPC but they’ve always been excellent, guess I’m just lucky.
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

Same here, Brooklands sorted it out for me.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
bompey

Post by bompey »

Has anyone had Porsche contribute to this when outside warranty or acknowledge it’s a known fault?
Mine is in for sunroof leaks having been in for the same thing 12 months ago and supposedly had the drainage ducts checked then.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
hopz121

Post by hopz121 »

bompey wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:29 pm Has anyone had Porsche contribute to this when outside warranty or acknowledge it’s a known fault?
Mine is in for sunroof leaks having been in for the same thing 12 months ago and supposedly had the drainage ducts checked then.
Yes but it was a big battle, managed to get Porsche and the local dealer to contribute and we had to pay around £1000 as well, took around 1 week to sort and lots of labour!

It put me off having another Macan with a pan roof to the point where we have just secured a deal on a newer one without the pan roof. It's a lovely feature to have but not worth the agro / costs when it eventually leaks. Its not uncommon either and i wouldn't be surprised if many non car type owners have the issue and aren't aware of it! The issue is when it get really bad and starts frying modules thats when the price really starts to jump up.

I know this would be covered under warranty but you shouldn't be forced to have a warranty for what appears to be a big design flaw!

Excited to pick up our new one this weekend and now can be worry free about the roof leaks going forward and just focus on the transfer box haha
bompey

Post by bompey »

Thanks for the update. I ended up with a 3 way split between me, Porsche, and my OPC.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
hopz121

Post by hopz121 »

bompey wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:25 pm Thanks for the update. I ended up with a 3 way split between me, Porsche, and my OPC.
Similar result to us I think. We don’t have to worry anymore as we picked up a new to us Macan last Friday without the pan roof and to be honest we don’t miss it.
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but my Macan is due it’s first Year 2 Inspection and the Long-Life Guarantee Condition Report, and as requirement of this LLG report my OPC have quoted £304 incl VAT to check and unblock all the water drains, which includes the front drains, sunroof drains and door sill drains. When I challenged them on this cost, they said it was a Porsche requirement to carry out these works as a condition of the Long-Life Guarantee, and they did send me a copy of the LLG report, and indeed item 14 is “Check that water drains are not blocked”.

As the OPC service rate is £204 incl VAT per hour, the £304 charge works out at 1.5 labour time....due you think this is reasonable for the drains work?

Has anyone who has recently had their Year 2 Inspection carried out, been charged for these drains to be checked/unblocked as requirement of the completion of the Long-Life Guarantee and, if so, what were you charged?
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

If there was an issue with blocked drains and subsequent leaks you would presumably claim on the warranty? If so, the checks are to their advantage to stop a warranty claim - why should you pay at all?
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0